Any welders out there??

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wish i had pics of my work to show u guys. ive had several bend test donne on my welding and never failed a single one. i think i have some of like a long time ago. its just a practice coupon 2nd week there. even that one passed the test lol
Old 08-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

this is my open root on 1/2 inch plate 3/32 gap with 3/32 landing with 1/8 6010 rods . this is only like my third time trying it keep in mind only had been going to school for like 2 weeks then

and this is my cap with 1/8 7018 rods vertical up. i got a little swirly at the end. i remember a spark getting inside my glove somehow lmao. im 100 times better now tho.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been welding for 9 years and don't have a rig, but have had two pipe certs on 6g and had 5 structural certs. You dont need a rig. Go single hand till you can pay cash for one. As soon as I get my car rolling again I'm probably goin to be looking for a Welding job again, or something welding in the oilfeild.

Last edited by 94fixerTA; 08-31-2010 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 09-01-2010, 06:40 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
I would imagine that you guys are saturated with people trying to get a piece of the pie there.
We still hire new welders, right now we have 3 turn arounds line up. But a turn around isn't going to be a good place to cut your teeth on. Motiva in port arthur is in the middle of their CEP project with will last another 2 years. Companies like Turner, performance, and titon all have big contracts out there. They are paying mid 20s an hour. That project would be a slower pace then a shutdown and better suited for a beginner.

What area do you live in?
Old 09-01-2010, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

ive tried turner, performance, s&b, fluor, p2s, lol almost all the companies you can think of and no one realy has alot of work. i did hear turner and performance are starting to hire alot again so im about to go right now as we speak lol
Old 09-01-2010, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sluggish
We still hire new welders, right now we have 3 turn arounds line up. But a turn around isn't going to be a good place to cut your teeth on. Motiva in port arthur is in the middle of their CEP project with will last another 2 years. Companies like Turner, performance, and titon all have big contracts out there. They are paying mid 20s an hour. That project would be a slower pace then a shutdown and better suited for a beginner.

What area do you live in?
I am in the DFW area. Not local to you guys.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Launching!

I believe that i am going to just get a rig and practice on my on, because i am lacking one thing that money cant buy and thats experience, i am in skewl again and going back to be an electrical lineman so i figure i will work in that field for a little while but welding is where i want to be i love putting things together and always have.

I think i am going to get into a shop/plant and get some time in before i try and go solo, Im in temple texas, the school i graduated from (tstc) is in waco right up the street from us so there is no shortage of welders in my area.

Xfactor_pitbulls i bought that clutch from you in hillsoro that day thanks again man that was a good clutch

Carlos sauceda i remember when i first started my welds looked exactly like that lol i had to start over alot recut and put a landing on them a few times, but now i can weld that **** up and have it looking like it came off a machine
Old 09-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Staging Lane

lol its ugly but its still 100% penetration haha. passed face , root and side bends
Old 09-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Launching!

thats all that counts, i care about penetration nit the looks of it, some guys at skewl would have the prettiest welds ever and they would snap on nic break and bend test......
Old 09-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i kno. i make some real real pretty welds now. there was a guy in my class who made the ugliest weld test on the planet. im talking about it looked like it had a bunch of peanuts under it and puddles and he didnt get not one small puncture in the bend tests lmfao. i was so surprised. alot of guys run too hot or too cold and they sometimes looks pretty but it had no penetration or they just ran toooo hot and had cracked all around the weld lmao. excessive heat. some guys just didnt chip all the slag off and had slag inclusions lmao but the cap looked super smooth
Old 09-04-2010, 05:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sluggish
Conex international out of Beaumont. Xray is just the same as you would get if broke something. I have had an X-Ray tech shoot his foot (which was stupid) but it came out perfect, you could see all the bones in his foot, the steel toe and the lugs on the bottom as his boot.
safety would have a ******* field day with that.. had a guy climb down into a radiation barricade the other night, luckily it wasn't his fault and the higher ups knew it and stuck up for him..
Old 09-04-2010, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Damn a radiation barricade??? people do the craziest **** these days,

hey carlos are you welding these days for a living
Old 09-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by blubyu02

hey carlos are you welding these days for a living
no im not wich realy sucks cause i realy dedicated myself to welding and i love it and i wouldnt wanna do anything else. ive been looking everywhere but everyone wants experienced ppl. ive been looking into any job to get into a plant but no one is hiring unless ur like the bosses nephew or something. it just not the best time to be looking for work right now. no one wants helpers anymore. im 19 yrs old so i was realy looking forward to starting off pretty young. and i do have a construction background just not industrial. im not one of those sit in a office all day type of ppl it realy bores me.

Quick Reply: Any welders out there??