So freaking tired of leaking ttops!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No leaks here as well, My firebird had a small leak but was nothing major.

Even if I had a small leak I could not trade for a hardtop when the weather is nice it's just that awesome to take the tops off.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol none of my cars have ever leaked, not even the 80'.. Go to Lowes and by a roll of that weatherstrip type stuff. It's like a roll foam with adhesive on one side.

Last edited by retardedpenguin; 01-09-2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

My 04 vette top leaks more than my 94 ttop z. Check your window too.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

When I converted mine from a hardtop to a T-Top it leaked like my old 97 T/A did. I just removed one shim from each corner where the tops lock into and it keeps my tops nice and sealed on the old weatherstripping. I'm going to buy some new weatherstripping one day, but for now this works just fine. We had some really bad rain storms this weekend and I went out and sat in my car for a while and not a drop came in. Checked this morning after the storms had cleared and all the floorboards are still dry. Just try and mess with all the adjustments and see if you can't get them to seal up better.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty 30
Check to see if the flood drain plugs are installed correctly or missing. They are black round flat plugs.
also check the weather stripping of the hatch area.

also, how your car is parked in the rain is a big factor as well. if your car is parked nose up, *** down or level, the car should drain water fine in the rain. however, if you are parked nose down *** up, the back glass acts a cup for the water rather than routing it down the back of the car. the more it rains, the more water builds up and eventually it enters your vehicle. ask me how i know. check under the back seats for standing water. thats where most of the water in my car was. my car got water all the way up to the pedals though. i didnt drive the car for 2 weeks after it happened but luckily the water was in there from dec 5 - 19 when it was cold as hell outside so i didnt get a nasty moldy smell. i still had to yank all of the soaking wet interior out in cold weather, drag it up to my 3rd floor apartment to air out and get shampooed. good times

i could make it rain with all the change i found though lol
Old 01-14-2011, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jdoyle
also check the weather stripping of the hatch area.

also, how your car is parked in the rain is a big factor as well. if your car is parked nose up, *** down or level, the car should drain water fine in the rain. however, if you are parked nose down *** up, the back glass acts a cup for the water rather than routing it down the back of the car. the more it rains, the more water builds up and eventually it enters your vehicle. ask me how i know. check under the back seats for standing water. thats where most of the water in my car was. my car got water all the way up to the pedals though. i didnt drive the car for 2 weeks after it happened but luckily the water was in there from dec 5 - 19 when it was cold as hell outside so i didnt get a nasty moldy smell. i still had to yank all of the soaking wet interior out in cold weather, drag it up to my 3rd floor apartment to air out and get shampooed. good times

i could make it rain with all the change i found though lol

I will second that the angle you park it does have an effect on when it leaks my passengerside tops leaks every now and again gets in my backseat and rear floorboard But if I am careful when I put on the t-top and park it level it doesnt leak even in some crazy nasty storms same thing with my hatch if its not level its gonna leak especailly if its parked *** up nose down! I still love my t-tops so nice to take them off and cruise around!!!!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Teching In

clear sealant from home depot or dollar store, peel the weatherstripping off from the crossbar pillar to the front pillar then glob it on then after it dries trim it with a razor.