Court says TX plates must be on front bumpers

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdave619
The laws stupid it's a correctable violation so it's big a very big ticket. So fucke em'. Mines staying off.
agreed.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:54 PM
RCC
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Domsz06
i won't run a front plate on either of my cars. It looks ugly and I hate the stupid law. I'll just pay the ticket if I get one.
Same here. I average about 1 a year between a few different vehicles. To me its money well spent.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nevermind. I'm editing this post.

Regarding the front plate. Never had one, never will.

Last edited by Morbid; 09-15-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by bigdave619
The laws stupid it's a correctable violation so it's big a very big ticket. So fucke em'. Mines staying off.
Pretty sure its a misdemeanor and no more than $200.
Old 09-15-2010, 04:36 PM
FormerVendor

Been pulled over several times for it. I'll take the ticket every time before I drill holes the bumper of my vette. It's a dumb law to get some more money for the state!
Old 09-15-2010, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

After I first moved to Texas, I got a ticket for no front plate. I fought it, and went so far as to write the Texas Department of Public Safety about the statute in question.

They responded that a person commits an offense if they do not have a license plate displayed front and rear. And I quote, "It is not a violation of the statute to display the front license plate on the dash board". I've got that email in writing, and it is with me whenever I drive the Camaro. My license plate has been suction cupped to my windshield ever since.

It will never be mounted to the front grille of my car.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

We used to set them on the dash facing the winshield fully visable by cops back in the day. They would screw with us on that stupid no plate in front issue to, thats how we beat that. Harrasment on the younger generation and a way for the state to make money on that issue. BS!
Old 09-15-2010, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HoustonSS
After I first moved to Texas, I got a ticket for no front plate. I fought it, and went so far as to write the Texas Department of Public Safety about the statute in question.

They responded that a person commits an offense if they do not have a license plate displayed front and rear. And I quote, "It is not a violation of the statute to display the front license plate on the dash board". I've got that email in writing, and it is with me whenever I drive the Camaro. My license plate has been suction cupped to my windshield ever since.

It will never be mounted to the front grille of my car.
Something tells me the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals will trump your email. I'll never run a front plate on my nice rides. I'd rather pay the ticket. Fortunately I haven't gotten one in a long time. *knocks on wood*
Old 09-15-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dumb law, the last thing Texas needs to worry about when it comes to Transportation and Road laws is this.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JUISSD
Something tells me the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals will trump your email. I'll never run a front plate on my nice rides. I'd rather pay the ticket. Fortunately I haven't gotten one in a long time. *knocks on wood*
There was never any explicit definition. However, it seemed to me that the law was taken somewhat literally whenever I inquired about it in the past (basically when I would get a warning or ticket for it).

Sec. 502.404. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE OR REGISTRATION INSIGNIA.
(a) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a
registration period a passenger car or commercial motor vehicle that does not display two
license plates, at the front and rear of the vehicle, that have been:

(1) assigned by the department for the period; or

(2) validated by a registration insignia issued by the department that establishes that
the vehicle is registered for the period.
Basically in the language of the law it says at the front, which was interpreted as bumper since that is truly at the front, unlike the windshield which is more or less in the middle. At least in the principalities I was in. I'm not a drug dealer so I never needed to appeal it to the Supreme Court... it was easier to do whatever the court required to get the ticket dismissed.

A better solution to whining or bitching would be to get our lawmakers to change the letter of the law so that we only had to have a single plate.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

I guess I will be getting pulled over a lot now especially since this just came out. The cops will be looking for it now....
Old 09-15-2010, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RCC
Same here. I average about 1 a year between a few different vehicles. To me its money well spent.
one of mine isn't required to run the front plates.... Little loop hole I'm running, the other one yeah it's required but I won't do it. So far been in houston for 15 months and no ticket.... guess my time is due soon
Old 09-15-2010, 08:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by GulfM3
Pretty sure its a misdemeanor and no more than $200.
is it really a misdemeanor?

Thought it was just a fix it like tint and what not? Or is it just one of those where they can pretty much write you for what ever?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My first ticket was for not displaying my front license plate.
lol FML and i live in south south texas.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Domsz06
is it really a misdemeanor?

Thought it was just a fix it like tint and what not? Or is it just one of those where they can pretty much write you for what ever?

yep a misdeamenor punishable by no more than a @200 fine.

but the txdps website still says placement is not defined as of 9:19PM on 9/15/10...

i made sure to print screen that

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/misc/faq/insp_faq.htm
Old 09-15-2010, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by obseSSed
yep a misdeamenor punishable by no more than a @200 fine.

but the txdps website still says placement is not defined as of 9:19PM on 9/15/10...

i made sure to print screen that

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/misc/faq/insp_faq.htm
*This guidance is referenced in TXDOT's requirements to properly display the registration certificate. DPS does not inspect the license plate itself, but instead inspects the license plate lamp.

does that mean they just need your paperwork???? and they make sure your rear lamp works? lol
Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JUISSD
When I got that ticket and inquired, I first contacted the Harris County Constable's Office, and they were the ones that referred me to the DPS. As long as the Constables refer to what the DPS requires for operating our vehicles, I'll take my chances with the DPS response and continue showing it in my winshield.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I think putting it in your windshield is worse that not having it at all. A plate in the winshield IMO tells the cop you know you are supposed to have a plate up front and you are trying to get around mounting it on your bumper. I just don't have one up front at all. The two times I have been warned about it was because I had an expired inspection or something else(can't remember cause it's been so long) and I told the cop I had no idea so I was warned and sent on my way.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got one, along with a tint ticket, a few years ago from a state trooper. went to court and told them i totaled the truck before i was able to correct the violations, both tickets dismissed. Never once did they ask for any proof of my story
Old 09-16-2010, 11:23 AM
Launching!

I remember when I got pulled over by the local sheriff in his Dodge Charger right when I pulled from the street in front of my house. He did a U turn turned on the lights on me and pulled me over. He said he was pulling me over for not having a license plate on the front bumper, I showed him I had it suction cupped to my windshield. According to him I should have just placed it on the license plate bracket up front. After almost 30 minutes of talking with him how unlike mustangs Camaros don't have a place for the license plate molded on the front bumper and him arguing that he "owned" a camaro that had the bracket molded on the front bumper he let me walk to the front of the car to show him that there was no bracket on it from factory. He let me of with just a verbal warning to find something to mount the license plate to the bumper. So I got a SLP license bracket from summit and in 3 days it was mounted.