Front License Plate Clarification by Highest Texas Court

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mitchntx
No front plate is an illegal driver.
I am talking as far as actually having a drivers license and insurance. I am well aware not having a front plate is "illegal" just far from as serious and important as having a license and insurance.
Old 09-26-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Serious or not, it is illegal.

Maybe a better way to say it would've been ...

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
Seriously, whats more important? Dangerous drivers or a driver that is illegal through a poorly and inconsistantly enforced law like no plate mounted exactly on the front of a non-agricultural vehicle.
The key to law enforcement is all about words and word-smithing.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

illegal in texas. :o
Old 09-26-2010, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come to Dallas and you will never have this problem. It seems like Dallas Police actually aims at real problems instead of dumb laws.

-Bert
Old 09-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

**** a front plate that's all I gotta say. I respect police officers for all they do for us but some are big ********. Never had a front plate in 7 years and never will. Only got pulled over once and he just asked y I didn't have it checked my license and insurance and said ok take care. Kool guy. In my opinion sports cars aren't meant to have front license plates it ruins the curves of the car and aerodynamics lol. my truck or suv tho I don't care ill have 20 plates if u want lol
Old 09-26-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS69TA
Nope, not gonna work. You'll either have to find a way to mount it without drilling or just get used to getting tickets for it.
I don't live in tx and don't have to run a front plate but i'm under the impression that the LT1 front plate holder has long been discontinued from GM. If a vehicle doesn't have said plate holder, there really is no way to mount a plate on front other than putting it on the air dam
Old 09-26-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3.8redbird
3 years and I havent been hassled once for front plate or even a ticket for anything. I think im safe but I will always have the classic plate option.
I meant with the classic plates because you don't have tags or anything with classics. Most officers don't know the law behind classic plates so they will pull you over and write you several tickets. Happened to my friend once and several other people I know.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

The law is there. They want it for what ever reason. They will enforce it as a reason to pull you over. In 12 years of driving camaros and vettes, I have never run a front plate. Been pulled over maybe 7 times in 12 years.

As far as the discontinued holder, they don't care if it is discontinued or not. They'll tell you to drill it into the plastic. Remember, driving is a privilege not a right. Adhere to the laws they set forth or face the fines and penalties.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

someone should invent a hologram projector that will project a "virtual" front license plate on the car that can the be switched off for car shows/etc.
Old 09-26-2010, 10:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1995blacktattop
someone should invent a hologram projector that will project a "virtual" front license plate on the car that can the be switched off for car shows/etc.
have you looked at this?
http://shop.ebay.com/items/hidden%20..._id=1056364839
Johnny
Old 09-26-2010, 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
I meant with the classic plates because you don't have tags or anything with classics. Most officers don't know the law behind classic plates so they will pull you over and write you several tickets. Happened to my friend once and several other people I know.
My friends never have a problem with it. Either the cops dont care or are just staring at the car. Either way the tickets get dropped when you show up to the courthouse
Old 09-26-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SS SLP2
yeah i suppose but i mean like something that willl project a virtual image of your actual license plate on the front of the car as if it was actually there. not some screen you mount that shows the plate no. i mean something more along the lones of a hologram image projector.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

Even if you could project an image, it would be illegal. It wasn't state issued. IT's the same as painting the license plate on the car.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:47 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by whitehooptie
The law is there. They want it for what ever reason. They will enforce it as a reason to pull you over. In 12 years of driving camaros and vettes, I have never run a front plate. Been pulled over maybe 7 times in 12 years.

As far as the discontinued holder, they don't care if it is discontinued or not. They'll tell you to drill it into the plastic. Remember, driving is a privilege not a right. Adhere to the laws they set forth or face the fines and penalties.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:19 AM
Staging Lane

Not quite, but do know a few people in law enforcement from state, county, and municipal.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by whitehooptie
Not quite, but do know a few people in law enforcement from state, county, and municipal.
Just ******* with you man. I know everyone has to respect the law, and blah blah blah, but seriously, there are people out there dealing drugs, killing people, robbing houses etc... This is a stupid "law", and like many others have stated, it's just used as an excuse to stop you. This doesn't help keep our roads safe one bit. Why do normal people on the road need to see my license plate on my front bumper?
Old 09-27-2010, 12:52 AM
Staging Lane

True that. And like the trooper guy said earlier, if Texas is 21 billion in debt, why not cut the front plate and save a few bucks?
Old 09-27-2010, 02:18 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I have to agree with this being merely a stupid law.

On my way to move from Lufkin, TX to San Antonio, TX in literally the middle of no where. Two lane road,Tree's as far as you could look towering over the road on both sides, not a house or any other type of place in sight for miles. I'm cruising at 70mph (which was the speed limit). In the other opposing lane of traffic comes a state trooper, me and my mother both pass him going 70mph, i glance in my rear view mirror for a split second and witness the troopers vehicle doing a high speed turn around(more like whip around) veering right into the grass/ditch and swinging the car around very quickly in the road to change directions. To say the least it didn't look like a safe maneuver on the troopers part. He does all this in order to stop me for no front license plate in the middle of no where. Granted he does not issue me a citation, just a written warning. He first of all wasted my time, and secondly he dangerously maneuvered his vehicle in order to stop me for such a small and meaningless thing on my car. I highly think that the driving actions from the trooper in order to stop me were by far a hell of alot more dangerous than me not having a front plate on my car. I personally think that alot of officers need to focus on the more important things that endanger the roads like speeding, reckless driving, texting while driving, driving without a seat belt, among countless other things than to worry about and hassle drivers that have no front license plate.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
so queer.

just a reason/excuse to pull you over to search for some extra revenue for the state.
Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
otherwise, there is no point for a front license plate.
the other reason is targeting for laser speed guns. (obviously just another method of revenue collection)
Old 09-27-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

oh and as for drilling into the bumper just to put a plate there, wouldn't that technically be illegal too since it would require you to bend the license plate to conform to the curve of the car?

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Clarification by Highest Texas Court