Did the lambo wreck???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are only two reasons the car did what it did.

A. The driver did not drive through the shoot. Meaning he let off the gas and got on the brake before the parachute blossomed. If you let off the gas before the chute deploys, it unloads the *** end of the car, and then when the chute actually blossoms, its going to make it twice as worse causing it the lift the rear of the car.

B. The parachute was mounted under cam centerline. I know on a Camaro or a Corvette, we have to mount the parachute on exact cam center line. If the chute is mounted above cam center line, the nose of the car will come off the ground when the chute blossoms. If the chute is mounted under cam center line, the *** end of the car will be lifted in the air when the chute blossoms.

I am sure the cross wind did not help anything either once the *** end of the car got loose from either of these two issues.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
Look closely at the end of the mile, chute was deployed before the brakes. Just like you said a crosswind can kill you literally. The chute went out but you don't see it until it expands to the left of the car, and I think he realized that so I'm guessing he hit the brakes hoping to stop it from yanking the car into another spin. Something was going to happen regardless. I was told back in the early days of FWD Drag Racing about 25% of the time on a complete pass the cars hit a wall when they deployed the chute. I think they are using Bonneville style chutes on their cars, but dunno. Mid/rear engine cars aren't known for big timers in real drag racing so the use of chutes is only just coming about. Hopefully something will come about because stopping at Sealy at almost 150mph on front runners in my car was not very fun LOL!!!
IMO FWIW powell, he didn't drive all the way through the chute... LIke worm boy said you need to drive all the way through and then start to apply the brakes.... But just what it looks like to me in the slow motion video. Yes he deployed it, but it looks like it's still "inflating" (right word??)
Old 10-26-2010, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
I wonder if he is going to take a break from mile racing or do you think he will build another Lambo.
pretty sure he already has a black one at 1500 rwhp that was at the mile as well......
Old 10-26-2010, 11:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Worm Boy

A. The driver did not drive through the shoot. Meaning he let off the gas and got on the brake before the parachute blossomed. If you let off the gas before the chute deploys, it unloads the *** end of the car, and then when the chute actually blossoms, its going to make it twice as worse causing it the lift the rear of the car.

B. The parachute was mounted under cam centerline. I know on a Camaro or a Corvette, we have to mount the parachute on exact cam center line. If the chute is mounted above cam center line, the nose of the car will come off the ground when the chute blossoms. If the chute is mounted under cam center line, the *** end of the car will be lifted in the air when the chute blossoms.

I am sure the cross wind did not help anything either once the *** end of the car got loose from either of these two issues.
Yeah matt was talking about that last night when I stopped by to set up the dyno tune.....
Old 10-26-2010, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Domsz06
pretty sure he already has a black one at 1500 rwhp that was at the mile as well......
I thought the guy from Austin had the Orange and Black Lambos along with the F430 TT car?
Old 10-26-2010, 11:22 AM
8 Second Club

I thought the guy from Austin had the Orange and Black Lambos along with the F430 TT car?
Correct!

And I had heard from someone at their camp that he is going to have another one built, but no more Mile racing.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:05 PM
8 Second Club

Steven is correct on both parts. I rewatched the video a few times and talked to some people. The chute had not completely blossomed when the lights came on. It had been deployed though. The mount for the chute was lower than it should be, but that was only some of the problem with the design. He did not need to use the chute to stop as he did a 250mph pass last March and used the brakes (although it spun out). It was actually just done to test. The driver of the car from what I've been told has an extensive drag racing career, but we we all do make mistakes. Some cost more than others.

I am not arguing here at all, because Steven probably knows better than anyone here about this. The biggest thing here is that the driver was ok. When I saw it happen I think almost everyone there thought he was dead.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:35 PM
11 Second Club

oh my bad. Miss information.

Thanks for correcting me.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Another bad thing to come from this is that the accident shook up SW and his wife. Him going off the end in his Supra also left a bad impression. He tells me he is selling the Supra and just sticking to road-racing. No more mile racing for him.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

No arguing from my end powell, just giving my 2 cents. You are 100% right, I could not believe he walked away from that. Does anyone know if he was wearing a hans device and what kind of chassis cert he had?

My hans device is now on order, should be here by next week, lol
Old 10-26-2010, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

About time, I know Josh and myself tried talking you into one 3-4 years ago when we came back from PRI

B
Old 10-26-2010, 02:32 PM

From what I understand is that the mile in FL. will be 300ft wide and 1 mile for acceleration and 1 mile for braking. It seems that Goliad is too short from what I gather from the FordGT guy that holds the record parked next to us.

Steven F. is correct on the Lambo/Chute analogy.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:34 PM
8 Second Club

No arguing from my end powell, just giving my 2 cents. You are 100% right, I could not believe he walked away from that. Does anyone know if he was wearing a hans device and what kind of chassis cert he had?

No hans device at all. Richard is a VERY big guy (basically his neck as wide as his ears (big ol country boy) LOL). In his Pro Stock (or whatever class he races in) he wears one because it is needed; but it is also custom or like the largest size LOL! In the Lambo though due to the size of his neck it would not fit in the car. SW had said something about him not being able to wear it in there due to seat design, cage, etc...

Good you got one on order Steven! Racing is a sport where things can go bad in an instant and we all know that.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

only additional things were 10pt cage + full harness.

wild. props to lambos safety + additional cage
Old 10-26-2010, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BADZ
From what I understand is that the mile in FL. will be 300ft wide and 1 mile for acceleration and 1 mile for braking. It seems that Goliad is too short from what I gather from the FordGT guy that holds the record parked next to us.

Steven F. is correct on the Lambo/Chute analogy.
is this on a 2 mile long runway??? I didn't know those exsisted....

wow i'm a dumb ***

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_longest_runways
Old 10-26-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

such a big dude to be cart wheeling in a lambo ... god damn.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:56 PM
12 Second Club

If the car wouldnt have hit that little hill or whatever, it might have been a better outcome. I heard a porsche did the same thing a little while back but it was just shot out in the grass.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:01 PM
8 Second Club

If the car wouldnt have hit that little hill or whatever, it might have been a better outcome. I heard a porsche did the same thing a little while back but it was just shot out in the grass.
Yup that was Joe with the 996TT (non GT2). It was at 210+ and the sunroof caved in due to air pressure. Something nobody thought would happen of course, and when that happened the cabin pressurized and spun off. Like I said before I just want a 200mph shirt. I know what the car is capable of now and what it will be capable when I get it back. Do I want to push it that far? Not really! I'll stick to 1/4 of a mile!

One thing to note, as I've showed a few people at the office the video. Everyone's first reaction the instant you hear sound is "Wow it's windy as hell, why are they even running?" Granted they aren't car people, but it was the first thing people have said. Then it's HOLY ****!!!!!
Old 10-26-2010, 03:30 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Kinda what Ive been thinking the whole time, why would you run that fast with that much of a crosswind?
Old 10-27-2010, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
No hans device at all. Richard is a VERY big guy (basically his neck as wide as his ears (big ol country boy) LOL). In his Pro Stock (or whatever class he races in) he wears one because it is needed; but it is also custom or like the largest size LOL! In the Lambo though due to the size of his neck it would not fit in the car. SW had said something about him not being able to wear it in there due to seat design, cage, etc...

Good you got one on order Steven! Racing is a sport where things can go bad in an instant and we all know that.
Are there two 2000hp Lambos? I keep hearing different things.

Quick Reply: Did the lambo wreck???