I got invited to a seminar/test drive over the new chevy Volt... pics. inside

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind that tax credit will only be for the first X number sold. After that, you are paying full price. I ran into a few people here that bought a prius and were told the tax credits were still remaining only to find out they were not so they essentially spent $4k more on that car. Read the fine print.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 97camaross
The computers are so advanced on the volt it will not except any mods and its not like your just messin with a 12 volt R/C car this Is a 300 volt system that without using the proper tools, knowledge, and precautions the normal individual that is not trained in the volt system can kill them selves real easy.

Also just realize that alot of the training and seminars that I have been to regarding the volt have been very specific. And im putting it simplest terms. (this is a very advanced vehicle)

oh some more info that I forgot to add:
-GM recommends that the oil be changed every 2 years.
-The fuel system is under a vacuum to protect/reduce the break down time
-every 45 days if the gas engine has not come on the computer will run it for a short period of time to run all the fluids through the eng.
-every 6 months if the gas engine has not come on the computer will turn it on and for an alotted time to use an allotted amount of gas so there is not bad gas in the tank(the volt has fuel condition sensors)
That's amazing...also impressive that it can go over 300 miles on a full tank(7 gallons)
Old 10-26-2010, 12:44 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98Roller
Why only Austin, or was you being sarcastic about the kind of people in Austin?
Are you being serious yourself? If GM had to pick only one metro area in all of Texas, then Austin is the best choice by a long shot.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't believe the 1.50 to charge it.... they saying at 10 hours it uses 1 kW per hour?

Just curious here....

the plastic button dash looks crappy in the pics, how good is it really?

I like this idea and I think it will take off. I wish they would have kept the concept stream line looking better. I Liked those alot better.

The biggest issue I see is how long it will take you to save/make money on this car. Lets say you looking at a 24000 car.... 10 grand is a heck of a lot of gas....
Old 10-26-2010, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Domsz06
The biggest issue I see is how long it will take you to save/make money on this car. Lets say you looking at a 24000 car.... 10 grand is a heck of a lot of gas....
I don't think it's about saving money in gas vs. a car that is $10-$15k less expensive. I think it's just another option for someone looking to spend $30-$40k on a sedan.

This article is the best one I have seen on the Volt and it explains the electricity used (and the price) during a charge.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...then-what.html
Old 10-26-2010, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

I will look more towards the leaf if i want something reliable and done right.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99CamVanillaTop
Yeahhhhh....mmmmmmk.

http://blogs.motortrend.com/127-mpg-...told-2724.html

At the end of the journey, we’d covered more than 120 miles. City, hard-core mountain roads and freeway — we even took the Volt up to its limited top speed of 101 mph. Well, the speedo indicated 102 mph, but we were pointed downhill. Let me also mention that we had the A/C on because it was 100 degrees out. Factoring in the mountainous part of our romp, where Frank and I acted like utter hooligans and neglected (on purpose) to put the Volt in Mountain Mode, we still averaged 74.6 miles per gallon over 122 miles. Sure, that’s less than the 126.7 mpg we got driving the car from the office to home, but it’s still pretty dang good. Also, remember that if we had simply stopped driving when the battery went dry, our mileage was infinity.

Here’s the big takeaway, the big payoff: We couldn’t have done what we did in a Nissan Leaf. Not only is 120 miles past the Leaf’s best-case scenario range, but in such heat and driven so aggressively, the Nissan’s range would have shrunk considerably. With the Volt, the engine simply flicks on when you need more electricity. When the engine runs out of gas, you add more. As Kim Reynolds hyperbolically pointed out after he took the Volt over the Grapevine, “It would have taken weeks to make that drive in the Leaf.” Wry Reynolds also suggested that with a little bit of hacking, you could use Volts to go and recharge dead Leafs
Old 10-26-2010, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I don't think it's about saving money in gas vs. a car that is $10-$15k less expensive. I think it's just another option for someone looking to spend $30-$40k on a sedan.

This article is the best one I have seen on the Volt and it explains the electricity used (and the price) during a charge.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...then-what.html
nice read!!!

and for those west coasters where electric during the day is 25 cents a kWh it will double the price of the charge, still not by much but interesting.

Another thing that will comeinto play is in Cali where everyone spends 1-2 hrs in traffic not moving, will the car still get 40mile? I say no. so then comes in the 3.50 gas...

Cool deal all in all.

If i'm gonna drop 40k on a car though it's not going to be that But each to their own
Old 10-26-2010, 02:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99CamVanillaTop
lol your kidding right? I think the way GM is going is for sure the way of the future.

I still like tesla's 4 door sedan with 300 mpc. That's what I wanna get
Old 10-26-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Junkie

If i'm gonna drop 40k on a car though it's not going to be that But each to their own
True. Some will pay $40k for some luxury features. Some for horsepower. Some for a status symbol. Some for 90mpg.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:04 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Another thing that will comeinto play is in Cali where everyone spends 1-2 hrs in traffic not moving, will the car still get 40mile? I say no. so then comes in the 3.50 gas...
Keep in mind, just like other electric items, when at idle and not under more load, the vehicle will not use as much of its stored charge. So idling SURELY won't have a huge effect on that figure...some, yes, but not major.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!