New paint, what do you think..

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good.. All that matters is that you like the color.

As for the mirrors are you sure they’re broke? Not just unplugged or something?
Old 10-28-2010, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. If you are happy that's all that matters. Overspray is not too bad you can get it off the tips. What is really gonna matter is will it hold up. Did they prep right so that it wont start peeling in hard to prep areas. Nice color though
Old 10-28-2010, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Laquer thinner for the tips and wheels IF THEY ARE CHROME!!! If they are polished alum. you will have to POLISH them back out. Most have a clearcoat over the polishing to keep longer. You can use automotive compunds to clean the wheels. Use the finer ones first to see if it will come off. If you go too coarse a compound it is harder to remove the scratches it leaves behind without going to the next finer compound and so forth.

Maaco paint F'n sux!! But for the price not too bad. It will wear prematurely as prepping, UV protection and paint itself are not the best by far. They call it an "Integrated Clear Coat" of which there is no such creature. Clearcoat is the CLEAR top coat used on top of a base color coat. Maaco is all in one step or " single stage paint of yesteryear"!!

These paints have not even been used by Car manufacturers since mid 80's!!!! A proper clearcoat paintjob will last upwards of 6 years or more in the sun, not washed and never waxed! Decades if cared for and garaged. A single stage paintjob you'd be lucky if it's shining next year! You can always buff it though, but that will only happen once because the paint is thin and removed some during buffing.

All in all it does look great on a Trans Am and you did get what you paid for. I'm not sure I'd even do a single stage paintjob for that price. But you can paint it 5 times for the price I'd charge you to do it right
Old 10-28-2010, 12:04 PM
TECH Veteran

That color looks
Old 10-28-2010, 12:11 PM
Launching!

looks good, very unique color!

can't wait to see more pics of it in different lighting to get the full effect!

did they do the CETA mod for you too or had you already done that?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Staging Lane

Doesnt look bad by any means. Sucks about the over spray but as stated having the rims and tips polished works nice. I personally in the past have used a clay bar and then wheel polish. No biggie
Old 10-28-2010, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Yeah like I said the original paint was totallyyyy screwed, the car had been wrecked and repainted with what looked like spray paint it was all cracked and looked like someone splashed water on wet paint. That's the reason why a maaco job wasn't a bad choice, if it screws up in a couple of years then I can just repaint it again, maybe I will want a different color by then LOL jk..
I mean most people don't own ls1 powered cars because they have unlimited cash, they own them because it's in their price range as with any other car out there..yes money buys you nicer things! Anyway like I said I will post up pics as soon as I can and try out the methods mentioned to get the over spray off. The ceta was actually my doing, I spray painted it on with krylon fusion paint for plastic. It has held up well.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FSTR/TA
Laquer thinner for the tips and wheels IF THEY ARE CHROME!!! If they are polished alum. you will have to POLISH them back out. Most have a clearcoat over the polishing to keep longer. You can use automotive compunds to clean the wheels. Use the finer ones first to see if it will come off. If you go too coarse a compound it is harder to remove the scratches it leaves behind without going to the next finer compound and so forth.

Maaco paint F'n sux!! But for the price not too bad. It will wear prematurely as prepping, UV protection and paint itself are not the best by far. They call it an "Integrated Clear Coat" of which there is no such creature. Clearcoat is the CLEAR top coat used on top of a base color coat. Maaco is all in one step or " single stage paint of yesteryear"!!

These paints have not even been used by Car manufacturers since mid 80's!!!! A proper clearcoat paintjob will last upwards of 6 years or more in the sun, not washed and never waxed! Decades if cared for and garaged. A single stage paintjob you'd be lucky if it's shining next year! You can always buff it though, but that will only happen once because the paint is thin and removed some during buffing.

All in all it does look great on a Trans Am and you did get what you paid for. I'm not sure I'd even do a single stage paintjob for that price. But you can paint it 5 times for the price I'd charge you to do it right
What if you get a layer or more of clear coat over the Maaco paint job? Wouldnt that make it stronger? I know of shops around here that can do clear coats for 200 bucks, so that would add up to a just over 1000 bucks.

-Bert

Last edited by 99bluehawk; 10-28-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:44 PM
On The Tree

Looks great. That seems to be how Maaco is. My friends mom went there and got the same treatment. They even over sprayed the side molding and taillights as well. As long as your happy with it that's all that matters.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:56 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It looks good. And yes you did ok for what you can afford . You can clean most of that up, and it's not a Show Car anyway. Some guys do tend to forget not everyone has an unlimited budget and a show car.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:06 AM
Staging Lane

Looks dam good for the price.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:08 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Maaco needs to fix that bullshit over spray.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big Chuk
Some guys do tend to forget not everyone has an unlimited budget and a show car.
I agree, but in certain guy's eyes there is a right way and a wrong way to do things.
Maybe it's just me, but I definitely wouldn't short a paint job on a car and I'm one of the most frugal people you will meet!

But like I said though, for $800...she got a great deal.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:31 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Color looks good. The carelessness of the application concerns me though, if they were too lazy to tape off some simple things. It makes you wonder how well they prepped the surface before painting it. Laziness there will mean the paint might last a year. I had a cheap paintjob done by Maaco when I was in high school, it faded and oxidized in about a year. $880 wasted then.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I had a cheap paintjob done by Maaco when I was in high school...
I heard Maaco has come along way since the 70's.

I think the car looks pretty decent in the pics. I'd just take it back and make them either fix the mistakes, or refund some money so you can replace the tips.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Black2001z06
I agree, but in certain guy's eyes there is a right way and a wrong way to do things.
Maybe it's just me, but I definitely wouldn't short a paint job on a car and I'm one of the most frugal people you will meet!

But like I said though, for $800...she got a great deal.
I agree that you probably shouldn't take any big shortcuts on a paint job, but (refering to the bolded statement) I don't think you should put a $7k paint job on a car that will be worth $13k when you're finished with it...unless you plan on keeping the car forever.

$13k with $7k paint job VS. $11.5k with $1500 paint job.

It's like these guys that put a $2k audio system in a $4500 car. It just doesn't make much sense to me.

Last edited by -Ross-; 10-29-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

I think I I ever had one of those places paint something of mine, I'd sit out in the parking lot with some masking tape and paper and tape off everything like most pro shops do. Then let them roll it in and paint it. Might be a little work on your part, but can save some headaches after they're done. If my truck wasn't already the color I wanted I'd probably do something like that.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LS69TA
I think I I ever had one of those places paint something of mine, I'd sit out in the parking lot with some masking tape and paper and tape off everything like most pro shops do. Then let them roll it in and paint it. Might be a little work on your part, but can save some headaches after they're done. If my truck wasn't already the color I wanted I'd probably do something like that.
My friend did that with his Trans Am. He brought it there on a trailer, rolled it off and masked it, did a ton of prep. His paint came out nice and it's still going strong even after 5 years or so. Maaco just paints on whatever surface you give them. If you drop off junk, they'll just paint right over it.
Old 10-29-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TechCam97
My friend did that with his Trans Am. He brought it there on a trailer, rolled it off and masked it, did a ton of prep. His paint came out nice and it's still going strong even after 5 years or so. Maaco just paints on whatever surface you give them. If you drop off junk, they'll just paint right over it.
Yea. I'd want door jambs, everything painted. A few hrs worth of work and you could have a nice, cheap paint job.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I agree that you probably shouldn't take any big shortcuts on a paint job, but (refering to the bolded statement) I don't think you should put a $7k paint job on a car that will be worth $13k when you're finished with it...unless you plan on keeping the car forever.

$13k with $7k paint job VS. $11.5k with $1500 paint job.

It's like these guys that put a $2k audio system in a $4500 car. It just doesn't make much sense to me.
I agree with you completely.
Resale value always dwells in the back of my mind.
Hence the comment regarding the el cheapo paint job(door jams not being painted would have be running away with a quickness).