Bought my first springfield XDm!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
You missed the point of my post skippy, you coveniently didnt bold the part of my statement that makes my point. A video on the internet doesnt mean ****, videos of failures of any gun maker can be found on the internet. Ive never had any sort of misfire from mine or ANY person Ive ever talked to that has an XD. If you like your glocks fine, but dont try and convince people that an XD is an inferior gun because you found a video on the internet of a gun that you have no history on had a problem.
And you missed the point of all my posts... I didnt brring up glocks, the other guy did. I just clarified that his statement of the glock being an inferior gun was both unfounded and ignorant.... If you like Xds thats your choice, im glad you are a gun advocate. But to say the glock isint at the same level or above as the XD is just stupid.
Old 11-27-2010, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Ive never had a failure out of my XD with over 1k rounds shot through it. My 95lb gf had six or seven jams in one magazine. Limp Wristing. It scared the hell out of me.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad_tx_Z28
That is a beautiful weapon! i have my light/laser on order as well! I was able to put another 100 rounds through it over thanksgiving and today, and all i can say is wow! i absolutley love this thing. I was a little iffy on the 3.8 barrel being a little hard on recoil but i was wrong. By far the best pistol i have owned!
thank u sir. i wish i could take mine overseas with me i love my xd and the m9 just can't compare. i guess it's better than no pistol but only just.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of ammo are you guys using?
Old 11-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

For plinking i would go with Federal or Remington. For personal defense id go with Hornady or Cor-Bon. Carry lighter loaded rounds (135-150 gr) if you are going to use it primarily as a personal protection. Dont use ball points for self defense, JHP is the way to go.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 92maro
And you missed the point of all my posts... I didnt brring up glocks, the other guy did. I just clarified that his statement of the glock being an inferior gun was both unfounded and ignorant.... If you like Xds thats your choice, im glad you are a gun advocate. But to say the glock isint at the same level or above as the XD is just stupid.
First off watch who you call stupid. Never once did I say Glock was an inferior gun. What I said was it wasn't put together as nicely or as polished as an xdm. The xdm is more solid and generally feels better doesn't have as much "slop" or play in the gun. I have owned both brands and prefer the xdm. It is an opinion and only an opinion just like owning a car we can make arguements on which one is better. But if you have to resort to name calling to try and make a point you the ignorant one. If you want to address this further pm me and we can discuss this off the board.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jamminj007
First off watch who you call stupid. Never once did I say Glock was an inferior gun. What I said was it wasn't put together as nicely or as polished as an xdm. The xdm is more solid and generally feels better doesn't have as much "slop" or play in the gun. I have owned both brands and prefer the xdm. It is an opinion and only an opinion just like owning a car we can make arguements on which one is better. But if you have to resort to name calling to try and make a point you the ignorant one. If you want to address this further pm me and we can discuss this off the board.
Didnt call you stupid buddy, comprehension>you...

You said and i quote "its put together much better than the glock" which reads to me that it is a better quality gun. Much like if i said a LS1 was put together much better than a sn95. Fact is the glock is just as high quality build wise (if not more so), without all the fancy ergonomics that people seem to think they need.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

What kind of ammo are you guys using?
standard military ****. copper jacketed, lead slug, 9mm ball.
Old 11-27-2010, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

Ok cool, for the first hundred rounds I used 165 grain winchesters. Next I'm gonna try some federals. This is gonna be my carry weapon after I go through the academy.
Old 11-27-2010, 09:59 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Mine shot Winchester white box pretty decently, but I've since started buying the 50rnd boxes of Federal Champion from walmart. ~$14 for 50 rounds of .40 is a great deal, and it shoots just fine.

For personal defense, I've got two mags loaded up with 165gr Speer Gold Dot JHP.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Practice winchester white box.
Defense Hornandy corbon, and speer.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ive had my XD service 40 for 6 years now, goin on 7.
Ive put just over 20k thru in and prolly gonna be at the 22k mark at January. Just started on my 3 keg of powder haha. Poor pistol has had about 17 pounds of powder burnt thru it.
Its my winter carry peice and also my competition pistol. You lube your pistol? This isnt an M16/AR15. I always clean my pistol with parts/brake cleaner. It gets all the junk off and wipes up nicely. Ive never had to lube it for it to function. Some days ive thru 2000 rounds, never had a failure. It stayed hot all day and at some times it was hard to hold from the heat. Around the 19k mark i had the striker retainer pin split but the weapon still ran the rest of the day.
Shot in matchs when it was 9*f to 100*f with no problems.

You have a fine weapon there. What i have started to do is completely clean it where there is no lube. Fire bout 100 rounds and clean it really good. Do this for the first 500 rounds and it will wear any burrs down. Then you can put a touch of grease on the shiny parts that have been touching. Makes it slick as butter.

I shoot with guys that train FBI, CIA, SWAT, ATF and all them agencies that have letters for names. None of them swear by any brand cause its a machine, it will fail.

I also have a XD sub compact 40 that i carry every day. It has a lil over 7k thru it and i trust my life to it.

Last edited by nonnieselman; 11-29-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

^^^ thats some really good info! thanks i appreciate it! I submitted my info on springfields website to get my 3 free mags and dual mag holder. Im also trying to find a better holster. I like the one that came with the gun, but its a bit uncomfortable. any suggestions?
Old 11-29-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ thats some really good info! thanks i appreciate it! I submitted my info on springfields website to get my 3 free mags and dual mag holder. Im also trying to find a better holster. I like the one that came with the gun, but its a bit uncomfortable. any suggestions?
You want something to conceal carry with or just a regular ole holster?

I use a Gcode from Gunnersalley.com. Its comfortable to wear all day. I use it in competitions, hunting, winter carry and around the house. Bushhogged our food plots a few months ago and wore it all day on the tractor. Got off and shot a few rounds thru it to get the dust and crud out.

For conceal carry i use the Supertuck deluxe from Crossbreed Holsters. It is a finely hand crafted peice. Ive worn it everyday for the past 3 years and once you get it broken in it is very nice. Keep some saddle soap on it bout ever month or 2 to keep it soft and flexible.

I wear either polo shirts or full button up shirts every day at work and keep them tucked in.. Even my best friends that i eat lunch with most days know i carry and they have never spotted me printing. Im 5'9" and 145# so if i can conceal a XD Sub Compact no problem than most people should be able to.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn sounds like a very good holster...I'm lookin into getting an xdm...anyone care to share what caliber they went with and why...I'm trying to decide what to get...I'm thinking 45

any information or insight would be great...thanks in advance fellas
Old 11-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Got a 40, more knock down power than a 9, less kick than a 45 so the wife can still shoot plus alot cheaper ammo. Also more mag capacity than a 45 with close to the knockdown power of a 45.
Old 11-29-2010, 07:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1slow01Z71
Got a 40, more knock down power than a 9, less kick than a 45 so the wife can still shoot plus alot cheaper ammo. Also more mag capacity than a 45 with close to the knockdown power of a 45.
I'd probably get a XDm if they came in .357 sig. I like the .40 well enough but i do alot of distance shooting and your standard 9mm, .40s and .45s dont shoot nearly as flat as the .357 sig.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ive never understood the 'knockdown' thing. If i can put a bullet in the right place and get atleast 10" of penetration then it serves its purpose.
My boss has a sig 228? In 357. Not sure on that model number. Its a full size. I loaded some 124gr hp for it and its fun to shoot.
Not sure on how far your longer distance shots are, but we have taken our 40s out to 200yds. Its a blast and very challenging! Teachs proper trigger control thats for sure.
But in realistic terms i have only backed out to 40yds shootin 8" steel plates. Only 80% hits but its fun.
I picked a 40 cause ive never liked a 9mm and if i wanted a 45 the 1911 has to fill that spot haha. Just a master peice in itself if built right.
My buddys that work for the sheriff office carry glock 22s so i get 5 gal buckets full of brass everytime they qualify.
i can load 1k rounds of 140gr cast lead bullets for 65 bucks i think is what it works out to be.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nonnieselman
Ive never understood the 'knockdown' thing. If i can put a bullet in the right place and get atleast 10" of penetration then it serves its purpose.
My boss has a sig 228? In 357. Not sure on that model number. Its a full size. I loaded some 124gr hp for it and its fun to shoot.
Not sure on how far your longer distance shots are, but we have taken our 40s out to 200yds. Its a blast and very challenging! Teachs proper trigger control thats for sure.
But in realistic terms i have only backed out to 40yds shootin 8" steel plates. Only 80% hits but its fun.
I picked a 40 cause ive never liked a 9mm and if i wanted a 45 the 1911 has to fill that spot haha. Just a master peice in itself if built right.
My buddys that work for the sheriff office carry glock 22s so i get 5 gal buckets full of brass everytime they qualify.
i can load 1k rounds of 140gr cast lead bullets for 65 bucks i think is what it works out to be.
if you have ever seen the videos and studied the cases that LEO's learn about in the academy you would know why knock down power is important. however, there is more than one way to skin a cat. and often times penetration is not good enough in itself. you need cavitation. and more over, cavitation that is big enough to cause a gaping wound that wont close and will bleed out. simply it boils down to the right combination of projectile mass, and velocity.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by charlie_gonzales
Damn sounds like a very good holster...I'm lookin into getting an xdm...anyone care to share what caliber they went with and why...I'm trying to decide what to get...I'm thinking 45

any information or insight would be great...thanks in advance fellas
http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/0964559846

read this book. anyone that has any unanswered questions about ballistics should read this book.

Quick Reply: Bought my first springfield XDm!