New Truck (Not your average truck)

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010 | 01:35 AM
Launching!

Default New Truck (Not your average truck)

I'm picking it up from the dealer the deal is set already. It's an original 1974 1/2 International Harvester 200 Eight 4x4 stick shift with the 346 V8 already equipped with longtube headers, true dual exhaust, and 35 in mud tires.
The truck is running it just needs oil and the distributor is starting to malfunction but I already know a two guys that can rebuilt it for me. I'm gonna be driving this while my camaro is at the shop, what do you guys think?

Old 12-29-2010 | 02:04 AM
TECH Addict

Shopping at Betos used car lot?
Old 12-29-2010 | 09:03 AM
10 Second Club

Ok I have to ask... Why are all the vehicle sitting / jacked up on tires?

Is this to save the tires on the vehicle from long periods of time without moving?

Reason I ask is all the vehicle in the picture are like this.
Old 12-29-2010 | 09:15 AM
Launching!

Cool truck. Any plans to modify it at all?
Old 12-29-2010 | 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Why does it look like its in a junkyard?

On another note I rebuilt my friends 304 international for his 69 scout. Those engines are way over built and beefy as hell. But are not very powerful and HEAVY AS HELL. cool truck tho!
Old 12-29-2010 | 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

I rebuilt a slant 4, I think it was a 152, 1/2 a 304, a few years back. Was in a Scout. Got it running and waited a week or so until I called the owner and told him it was done. Fun little truck.
Old 12-29-2010 | 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

all i can say that ho will chug gas!
Old 12-29-2010 | 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
Ok I have to ask... Why are all the vehicle sitting / jacked up on tires?

Is this to save the tires on the vehicle from long periods of time without moving?

Reason I ask is all the vehicle in the picture are like this.
im wondering too, could be saving the springs too. When new Mazdas are shipped here from Japan they fill the tires to roughly 55psi to keep em from flat spotting.
Old 12-30-2010 | 12:01 AM
Launching!

The truck was at a local junkyard called U-Pull It Autoparts. The original owner died and his son didn't want the truck even though it ran and sold it to the junkyard. The junkyard is licensed as a dealer so I was going to finally after 4 days of trouble with them pick it up today but I decided not after all the trouble I had with the manager and owner of the junkyard.
Look yesterday I we spent two hours talking with the manager on negotiating a deal on the truck after waiting two days for them to find the title and getting the paperwork ready. So the deal was the truck as it was on 16in rims with brand new 35in mud tires running all it needed was engine oil (cause they empty it for environmental reason) as well as the gas and a distributor rebuilt. I was gonna pay him yesterday but since they were closing already he said to wait till today at 9am when they open to pick the truck up and paying and said he was sending a crew to take the truck out from the yard and take it in to the special fenced holding lot where they take incoming and outgoing vehicles. So I called a friend, we got my dad's truck, some tow lights, filled the tank of gas to tow it out, and left with cash in hand for 3RD time in 3 days cause it was supposed to be a simple " I give him the money he gives me the papers for the truck and we tow it home, a simple 5 minute transaction". We were there early in the morning and what do you know he parted out the truck with all 4 new rims and tires after we had a done the deal and the truck was still out in the yard and now it was sitting on stands. What did he say "Oh I'm sorry well if you want I'll lower the price $50 and if you can fine 4 rims and tires you can put them on", yeah like if it were easy to find a full set of 8LUG rims with good tires in a lot dominated by 5/6 lug trucks/cars and 4 lug imports We were all pissed my pal, my bro, my dad, and me. The manager didn't keep his end of the deal while I kept mine by coming every single time he told me to come the past 3 days and with the Cash in hand spending hours of our days from early in the morning to well past noon picking up my friend, dad, and little bro to help me tow it, driving all the way over there, and then waiting hours just to hear "I'm sorry not today cause i still need to find this or that". Finally I was able to get in contact with the owner and he lowered the price on the truck, they coincidentally found 2 of the rims and tires in another section of the large yard even though the truck wasn't on stands and it would have been extremely hard for someone to have removed them from the truck without a floor jack and an impact wrench like the battery operated one they have. Also it seems they had the smart idea of just dropping the large truck on the frame rails themselves instead of putting the rims on it while they had it lifted on a forklift which also bent part of the driveshaft from the transfer case to the front axle. And then due to the way the tranny and transver case hang as well as the axles all the weight was being held by these components.
After all this **** I went thru and problems buying a simple truck going with them with the cash in hand to pay them exactly what they wanted I wasn't trying to lowball them or anything, they still couldn't sell me the truck as they promised int the deal.
I decided on just spending the $1200 I was going to give them on overboring and forging the 6.0 that's going in my camaro as well as getting a 4L80E built so I can make it as drop and play as I can by the time I swap it in.
Old 12-30-2010 | 01:06 AM
Banned

Damn that sucks bro. You shoul'dve FTP'd the **** out of them the first time.
In case you don't know, FTP stands for **** That Puto (George Lopez)
Old 12-30-2010 | 08:21 AM
12 Second Club

HOLY ****!

How the hell did you get so lucky to find one in that shape?? Too bad they fucked you over.

Just so ppl understand my excitement, I own one, as well as a 1962 scout that's restored complete with a PTO winch and removable hard top.

Here's mine, 1974 IH 3/4 ton 4x4....454BB chevy, 12,000lb hydo winch, custom grey velour interior.

Working on installing a underdash a/c unit.

Here's a few pics..

Last edited by The Postman; 12-30-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-30-2010 | 08:27 AM
TECH Apprentice
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by red281gt
all i can say that ho will chug gas!
I have 2 Scout II Internationals , One is a 71 the other is a 73 . Both are hardtop convertibles Harvesters. I get 9 miles to the gallon
Old 12-30-2010 | 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

Also are you sure that's a 1/2 ton? 8 lug axles would make it a 3/4...also the engine is a 345cu...I have two spares complete here at the shop. Along with rebuilt distributors.
Old 12-30-2010 | 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jaysan
I have 2 Scout II Internationals , One is a 71 the other is a 73 . Both are hardtop convertibles Harvesters. I get 9 miles to the gallon
Our BB is averaging 10 @ 55mph...lol
Old 12-30-2010 | 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by The Postman
Our BB is averaging 10 @ 55mph...lol
yeah haha but I still my Scouts
Old 12-30-2010 | 10:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Postman
HOLY ****!

How the hell did you get so lucky to find one in that shape?? Too bad they fucked you over.

Just so ppl understand my excitement, I own one, as well as a 1962 scout that's restored complete with a PTO winch and removable hard top.

Here's mine, 1974 IH 3/4 ton 4x4....454BB chevy, 12,000lb hydo winch, custom grey velour interior.

Working on installing a underdash a/c unit.

Here's a few pics..

I was lucky cause when I go to junkyards I always go to the deepest toughest parts and I'm always driving along old backroads, you never know what you might find. Plus this one was for 993 with non salvage title, fees, and taxes. They even called me today while I was out of town saying they had "The truck ready for me to pickup" which is like the 5th time they say it.

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
Damn that sucks bro. You shoul'dve FTP'd the **** out of them the first time.
In case you don't know, FTP stands for **** That Puto (George Lopez)
Dude I found out the manager has fucked with many ppl since he got promoted to from clerk and that one customer got so pissed at him that he threatened to give him a beating and stood outside waiting for him almost till they closed.