Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Passenger Coils not firing problem

Hello
I posted a thread in the external section but no luck getting any help
maybe here will be better

the PS coil packs are not getting power at the pink wire on the big connector. I have checked all fuses and they are good. next in line is to check all ground continuity and see if that is an issue.
im running out of ideas. anyone who has something please throw it out here.
thanks in advance
David
Old 01-15-2011, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Broken wire of bare wire maybe?
Old 01-15-2011, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well I just checked the grounds and they are not good. I need to double check their connections and see if that is the problem. they did not have any continuity from the plug to the block.
something is not right with the grounds I think.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Tap a short piece of wire from a good ground spot to the the ground wire on the coil pack connector just to make sure they start firing. If they do trace back the ground wire on the harness side of the coil pack connector and see if it's cut and shorting out somewhere. Also look at the coil pack connector at the pin slot for the ground wire specifically. Make sure the the slot/cavity is not stretched wide open. If it is that might be your problem. Use a pick and wedge it along the sides of it to make the slot smaller/tighter so the pin has a good contact when plugged in.

You can do the same for the pink wire just tap in a small section of wire from a good known working switched 12 volt source for a quick fix if you need to get around in your car. Also make sure the slot/cavity for the pink wire has not been strectched open.

Have you messed with any of the wiring recently like unplugging something or relocating grounds or anything in the engine bay recently? I had a problem similar and I found two things wrong the slots mentioned above where stretched out so there was no good contact and also the ground wire from the ignition relay in the fuse box was no good. The ground wire from the relay lead to a screw on the side of the frame rail where several ground met up. I just ran a new wire for it and that fixed the problem.

Last edited by DopeFedZ; 01-15-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

DopeFedz
the car is a roller that i purchased last year and since then I am working on it. It came with PCM and harness but no drivetrain. recently I installed a LQ4 in it but havent had a chance to hear it idle bc of this problem. I am going to check all the grounds and connections like you mention, Im sure that will be the fix.
I appreciate it a lot. you have been the ONLY one with something to say.....that will make me look into something instead of just pocking around. lol
I will report back later this afternoon and update this if I find the issue or not.
this should not be hard. the wiring was not connected to anything and was just bunch up in the engine bay. I had to sort everything out and may have missed a ground. I will check the one by the ignition relay since I dont remember looking at that one earlier.

thanks a lot again
Old 01-15-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well hell
I figured out the grounds but I still dont have any power to the PS coils. I ended up running a wire from INJ2 fuse to the plug so it had power to start the car. I am not sure where to look for the actual problem. I know this is rigged but its working.
seems like there is a short somewere bc the lights inside the car are on even though the switch is off. any idea here......
where do the PS coils draw power from (pink wire come from where?)

any more ideas for this issue.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Look at the connectors on top of the passenger side fender. Make sure none of those wires are cut, broken or have any bare wiring showing. Also look at the pin slot/cavities and make sure they aren't stretched open. Power is running through those connectors feeding from the fusebox which gets its power from the cable coming from the battery.

Do you have your grounds on the back of the driver side head?
Old 01-16-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Head grounds are all good. I connected all 3 w one bolt to ensure all were there tight. I have checked the plug and the pin slot cavity is not damaged. I tested it by placing a test light on the pink wire and grounding it. Only DS light up. I did not chck the other harness by the ps tower. I will inspect it now and see what I find.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:36 AM
TECH Junkie

A haynes manual or alldata would do you some good right now. There was a guy that posted some electrical schematics in the thread about the car not starting might want to see if he can hook you with some schematics. With the lights being on it does sound like a broken ground wire touching somewhere.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the wires on the Passenger side appear to be intact. no problems there visually.
schematics would work to do a fix. right now its just rigged from an ignition source to the pink wire.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:04 PM
Staging Lane

These might help..... I have more if you need them. C100 is one of the 3 connectors on the passenger side shock mount.
Attached Thumbnails Passenger Coils not firing problem-78551044.gif   Passenger Coils not firing problem-80972917.gif  

Last edited by whitehooptie; 01-16-2011 at 09:11 PM.