What's the major difference between small block chevy and an LSX?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1_fast_gto
ok pee pawww.....
I wouldn't expect someone who thinks a 2 door sedan is a sports car to understand.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pwebbz28
I wouldn't expect someone who thinks a 2 door sedan is a sports car to understand.
hmmm pee paww, it was a joke, theres no doubt in my mind an old "big block based aftermarket blocked engine" with twin turbos would make stupid power but uhhh so does a jet engine, now take some Geritol, kick back in your recliner and chill out, andddd this, contradictory statement ahead "two door sedan" might show you something cool , like electronic fuel metering devices.

Last edited by 1_fast_gto; 01-22-2011 at 01:18 AM.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bahhh EFI is for Hondas!! Give me Dominator with 4 corner adjustment!! The only GTO to show me tailights was my wifes right after we sold it BWAAHAHAHA!!
Old 01-22-2011, 07:03 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300
We are talking about proven 8-9 second cars, making over 1000 hp here...

Not your average supercharged vettes/ camaros making 750 hp...

Even dodges and fords have cars capable of making over 1000 hp without having to spend $2k for a block.. LS are weak...lol

Lol....

Yea, the big block chevys are where it is at, but the GEN IV LS is where it should be, GM dropped the ball going to a 4 bolt per slug cylinder head.

BTW, check out the pump gas drags, a few 7 second pump gas chevys out there, how many supras do that on 93 shell gas?
Old 01-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Banned

This site has some of the dumbest people on it. Some people need to be stripped of all there money and shipped to Liberia to get raped raw.

Last edited by TooMuchMoney; 01-22-2011 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TooMuchMoney
This site has some of the dumbest people on it. Some people need to be striped of all there money and shipped to Liberia to get raped raw.
"Striped"?

Like a Zebra?
Old 01-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by -Ross-
"Striped"?

Like a Zebra?
Damn Droid, I meant stripped. Thanks tho mega cab.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Staging Lane

The biggest difference between the two is that no matter how much money you throw at an LSx engine if you dont know WTF your doing/reading it wont hold up. The SBC is idiot proof and can be fixed on the shoulder of the road for 20 dollars.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:55 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by 1c62nv
The SBC is idiot proof and can be fixed on the shoulder of the road for 20 dollars.
Dunno, my carbed 6.0 is pretty ****** simple.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:39 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike TexaSS
To be honest...

The newer LSX hardcore stuff is just copy's of FORD's SBF stuff. A DART Iron Eagle SBF block with 4 bolts per cylinder is much better than any of the LSX stuff.

The blocks and heads just arnt there to make big HP 2600+ with out having major issues. I.E your **** is constantly apart during a season.
I think your just to excited about your little project yall got going on over there. what does your company tend to work on? j/p i just dont wnt pople getting the wrong idea. mr. ford man overhere. damn man thats a low blow
Old 01-23-2011, 07:50 AM
Launching!

This is a good question though.I think it has to do alot with the begin of fuel injection people started to experiment with the new blocks, lt1, mainly. I guess they got tired of slapping edelbrocks intakes and carbs on the old school. The ls engines have also exploded the aftermarket industry, (blowers,turbos,nitrous) nowadays people like using the technology..
Old 01-24-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TooMuchMoney
This site has some of the dumbest people on it. Some people need to be striped of all there money and shipped to Liberia to get raped raw.
So when you getting on the boat hypocrite?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:23 PM
8 Second Club

Simple answer... SBC and LSX are three different letters therefor making them different!
Old 01-25-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Luckymex_dallas
I think your just to excited about your little project yall got going on over there. what does your company tend to work on? j/p i just dont wnt pople getting the wrong idea. mr. ford man overhere. damn man thats a low blow
A lot of LSX/SBC people get butt-hurt when they find out that Ford got it right from the start. That EI, IE, EI, IE lay-out sucked major donkey dick on the original SBC design and when they decided they needed a better design to go fast what did they do? Well they copied the SBF symmetrical port layout.

The traditional SBF/SBC stuff is way ahead of the LSX stuff in terms of strength especially when it comes to racing over a competitive season. SBF/LSX both share a 4-head-bolt per cylinder design but the SBF engines will hold 3k hp reliably while the LSX is an iffy tune-up away from a huge melt-down and a trip back to the engine shop.

The cylinder heads available for the SBC/SBF are also way beyond what is available for the LSX but it's been a while since I've looked at any LSX stuff.

In summary: SBF > SBC > LSX
Old 01-25-2011, 03:09 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Originally Posted by Ben R
A lot of LSX/SBC people get butt-hurt when they find out that Ford got it right from the start. That EI, IE, EI, IE lay-out sucked major donkey dick on the original SBC design and when they decided they needed a better design to go fast what did they do? Well they copied the SBF symmetrical port layout.
That explains why there is a SBC swapped into more rides than any other engine in existence.....

The traditional SBF/SBC stuff is way ahead of the LSX stuff in terms of strength especially when it comes to racing over a competitive season. SBF/LSX both share a 4-head-bolt per cylinder design but the SBF engines will hold 3k hp reliably while the LSX is an iffy tune-up away from a huge melt-down and a trip back to the engine shop.
The smallest 4.8 LS engine can go 383 or more cubes, none of the older stuff can, the iron truck engine blocks can also hold 1000 HP with good rods and pistons, the older stuff...not likely without allot of block prep.

The cylinder heads available for the SBC/SBF are also way beyond what is available for the LSX but it's been a while since I've looked at any LSX stuff.
When looking at budget builds, you dont need to get aftermarket heads to run your *** off with the LS engines, the older SBCs and SBFs need to go aftermarket, when aftermarket is concerned, yea, the playing field pretty much becomes even. They can go 510 ci with aftermarket on the LS, i have not seen any SBC/SBF that go more than 454 ci, there is a sunnys 472, but thats it.

In summary: SBF > SBC > LSX
A junk yard build off leaves the LS ahead, aftermarket? As stated above the LSx can get more cubes, more power and have heads available that flow 400 CFM, so i cannot say i can chalk up a W for the SBC or SBF against the LS stuff.

BTW, there is a member here running 9s all motor on a stock 6.0 truck motor with cam only in a fox mustang, most people here wish they can go 10s all motor. There is of course a weight advantage, but impressive none the less.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Pretty much every argument you made is dumb and just uninformed in general. The truth will set you free but first it's gonna **** you off.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:01 PM
Staging Lane

I didnt see anyone mention reverse cooling!! Allows you to run more compression on a lower octane fuel!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There are canted and splayed valve heads for lsx now that will make the lsx game interesting. I havent seen any results for those heads but I havent looked
Old 01-26-2011, 07:25 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Pretty much every argument you made is dumb and just uninformed in general. The truth will set you free but first it's gonna **** you off.
Care to elaborate? Just stating facts and apparently you just love Fords.

Guess facts are dumb and uninformed....
Old 01-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1_fast_gto
ok pee pawww.....
lmao!!!!

Quick Reply: What's the major difference between small block chevy and an LSX?