What's the major difference between small block chevy and an LSX?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 02:17 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Man, that is like saying they copied the V8 in general, gotta remember, GM fucked Ford up in 55 with the release of the small block chevy so they had to step the came up seriously, it is competitive evolution, if it was a really copy, GM would have a 302 available, they wouldnt have 56 bolt mains, the heads would be identical, ect. So, they can be similar, but the cranks and cams wont swap out, so i just see saying it is a copy is a waste of breath. Everything just keeps advancing, in 95 the pushrod 5.0 was killed and the LS was in design R&D. So, the rod bearings and lifters from the SBC swap out to a GEN III, so there ws certain things retained while making the rest of the engine way more efficient.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:33 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Man, that is like saying they copied the V8 in general, gotta remember, GM fucked Ford up in 55 with the release of the small block chevy so they had to step the came up seriously, it is competitive evolution, if it was a really copy, GM would have a 302 available, they wouldnt have 56 bolt mains, the heads would be identical, ect. So, they can be similar, but the cranks and cams wont swap out, so i just see saying it is a copy is a waste of breath. Everything just keeps advancing, in 95 the pushrod 5.0 was killed and the LS was in design R&D. So, the rod bearings and lifters from the SBC swap out to a GEN III, so there ws certain things retained while making the rest of the engine way more efficient.
Yet doesn't a SBF head bolt right onto an LS engine?

Why didn't GM continue with the mirror port configuration and evolve that design instead?

The design of the LS cylinder head alone is too similar to that of a SBF not to call it an imitation because that is exactly what it is. It certainly isn't an evolution of the previous SBC designs.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Yet doesn't a SBF head bolt right onto an LS engine?

Why didn't GM continue with the mirror port configuration and evolve that design instead?
No it doesn't bolt on. It's the other way around, but it will not work. Hence the idea of a different design--cathedral ports for example? Square ports with offset rockers?--the sbf didn't have these.

I bet you the reason they didn't do that is because of modern high flowing intakes. Siamesed ports work when the air comes in from the top of the engine. Not when the air comes from the front. The front four cylinders wouldn't get anywhere near as much air if the air had to completely change direction compared to the last four cylinders.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

Just did a bit of research. It appears that the first V8 engine was FRENCH!
Ruined my day!
The first V8 American car was the 1914 Cadillac which was GM by that time.
So does this mean Fords been copying GM or everyone's been copying some FRENCH critter......
Maybe we should all give up and get rid of our V8s. Wouldn't want to be thought of as copying ANYTHING French.
French cars are the ONLY import I refused to work on (25 years as an import car technician).
Old 02-13-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 00fastta
I have no interest in having a contest with you. I don't care what you did, and I don't really care what you think of me. And it's good that you're not an engineer because you would of been one of the worst with a mindset like that. A finalist to a westinghouse blah blah blah...what? Not the point. Thanks for proving my point with being irrelevant. It truly shows how stupid you can be.

Yet you all are still missing the point. They may of taken the idea from ford, but they designed it themselves.
Yeah I'm very stupid and missing the point. I brought a very good question and there a good debate still going on about the difference...

But I got insulted and called stupid by you? Who are u again? and what have you done to call someone else stupid?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sc300
Yeah I'm very stupid and missing the point. I brought a very good question and there a good debate still going on about the difference...

But I got insulted and called stupid by you? Who are u again? and what have you done to call someone else stupid?
I am the grill cook at mcdonalds. I'm 70 years old. And I dream of going to college so I can be a fashion design major...

I copy the guy who taught me how to make burgers with extra amounts of deliciousness. So I can make burgers too, but I like to do it in my own way...
Attached Thumbnails What's the major difference between small block chevy and an LSX?-2928702070094859633towiqx_ph.jpg  
Old 02-13-2011, 08:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GreenS-10
I think one of the big differences is in the head design. The valve angle and runners on the LSX is far superior to the SBC stuff. Hence the reason an out of the box LSX head flows the same as my "Race" head. Thats one thing about the 15 degree vs 23 degree heads. Plus the production tolerances are a lot tighter than before.
Bingo this man has said it all. The difference is in the heads. If you put 15 degree heads on a first gen sbc you would have the same thing. The 15 degree heads flow way better. To get 330 cfm out of a 23 degree sbc head you will be sinking some serious cash into a set of heads like the old pro action heads in porting. You can buy off the shelf trick flow ls heads that will flow those numbers.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:42 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by 00fastta
No it doesn't bolt on. It's the other way around, but it will not work. Hence the idea of a different design--cathedral ports for example? Square ports with offset rockers?--the sbf didn't have these.

I bet you the reason they didn't do that is because of modern high flowing intakes. Siamesed ports work when the air comes in from the top of the engine. Not when the air comes from the front. The front four cylinders wouldn't get anywhere near as much air if the air had to completely change direction compared to the last four cylinders.
Ford ports angled to the bore wall and SBC ports angled towards the center of the bore. Again, GM decided to imitate the Ford port rather than a Chevy port. The most fundamental designs of the LSx, that which distinguished a SBC from a SBF, are much closer to that of a SBF. You're talking miniscule differences of dimensions.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:44 AM
KCS

Originally Posted by technicalninja
Just did a bit of research. It appears that the first V8 engine was FRENCH!
Ruined my day!
The first V8 American car was the 1914 Cadillac which was GM by that time.
So does this mean Fords been copying GM or everyone's been copying some FRENCH critter......
Maybe we should all give up and get rid of our V8s. Wouldn't want to be thought of as copying ANYTHING French.
French cars are the ONLY import I refused to work on (25 years as an import car technician).
If it works, it works. No use in reinventing the wheel.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

and interesting read on the growth of the SBC:

http://www.lsxtv.com/features/gms-55...e-small-block/

Quick Reply: What's the major difference between small block chevy and an LSX?