intake clamp removal on a Saturn L300

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011 | 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Default intake clamp removal on a Saturn L300

Gotta buddy that is trying to remove an intake on an L300 to change the T-stat. Yes saturn buried that under the intake! I have never seen these clamps before and don't wanna destroy these in the process of removing them. Anyone have an idea on removal?

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-30-2011 | 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

NM... I think these will work for taking this CLIC-R clamp off..

Old 01-30-2011 | 11:36 AM
On The Tree

just stick a screw driver in the little piece that is sticking up and pry it apart, then when going back together with it just use a pair of dikes and squeeze that little loop back together
Old 01-30-2011 | 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Break them off, get hose clamps and be done with it?
Old 01-30-2011 | 10:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
NM... I think these will work for taking this CLIC-R clamp off..

Looks like that's the tool:
http://www.2carpros.com/questions/sa...aturn-l300--10

-Mike
Old 01-31-2011 | 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KFC_Or_Bust
Break them off, get hose clamps and be done with it?
I would have done that, if this was my car...

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra

Yep, those end cut pliers were Pretty darn close to the 'specialty tool' and they worked just fine. That sure was a lot of trouble for changing a thermostat. I am glad Saturn is out of business!
Old 01-31-2011 | 07:50 PM
Teching In

My wife drives the Vue with the same L81 engine and it is a pain in the butt. It is a German Opel design, built in England. She also gets the MIL for heating up too slow for the thermostat failed open, but luckily her inspection is up in July and it dosen't cause a MIL in the summer because its so hot all the time. I'm not going to change it because the car still makes heat just fine even on really cold days. And if the motor gets a little more wear on it because it runs colder for a couple more minutes I won't lose any sleep over it.

The timing belt was a major pain in the butt on that car, so much so that the Haynes manual says only to attempt it if you are experienced in that kind of repair. It took me about 7 or 8 hours (first time I've ever done a timing belt), and required the purchase of a $300 tool, which I was glad to have, probably couldn't have done it without (dealer wanted $1000+ for this job).

I've already decided that I'm vetoing any new car for her that does not have pushrods or at least a timing chain, if such things still exist when its time for it. And absolutely no more European designed engines. Japanese and American cars usually seem fairly intelligently laid out as far as repair work goes, but its almost like the Euros think their designs are so awesome there should never be any need for repairs, and they design them appropriately.

Quick Reply: intake clamp removal on a Saturn L300