Sitting in the dark

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
I had power but no freaking hot water. Cold shower owned me this morning

Wife woke up this morning about 5 minutes before the alarm rang. She rolled over to snooze for a few, and the power went off a couple of minutes later. We have gas, so we have plenty of hot H2O.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

katy never lost power
Old 02-03-2011, 02:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
I had power but no freaking hot water. Cold shower owned me this morning
Old 02-03-2011, 05:20 AM
TECH Regular

I don't understand the picture reference but it made my day!
Old 02-03-2011, 06:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not Oncor, it's ERCOT.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, February 02, 2011 06:54 AM
Subject: news release --Power Emergency -- Rotating outages in progress -- Conservation Critical

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Power Emergency – Conservation CRITICAL--Rotating Outages Have Begun

The Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) has instructed utilities to begin rotating outages to compensate for a generation shortage due to numerous plant trips that occurred because of the extreme weather.

Rotating outages are controlled, temporary interruptions of electric service, typically lasting 10-45 minutes per neighborhood. The locations and durations are determined by the local utilities. Critical need customers such as hospitals and nursing homes are generally not included.

It is not known at this time how long the need for rotating outages will last.

Consumers and businesses are urged to reduce their electricity use to the lowest level possible, including these steps:

* Limit electricity usage to only that consumption which is absolutely necessary. Turn off all unnecessary lights, appliances, and electronic equipment.
* Businesses should minimize the use of electric lighting and electricity-consuming equipment as much as possible.
* Large consumers of electricity should consider shutting down or reducing non-essential production processes.

BACKGROUND

A Power Emergency indicates that the regional electric grid operator, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT), has instructed utilities to implement rotating outages to reduce load.

Rotating outages are controlled, temporary interruptions of electrical service initiated by each utility when supplies of reserve power are exhausted. Without this safety valve, generators would overload and begin shutting down to avoid damage, risking a domino effect of a region-wide outage.

Rotating outages primarily affect residential neighborhoods and small businesses and do not typically include critical-need customers such as hospitals and nursing homes.

The outages are limited to 10-45 minutes before being rotated to a different neighborhood. Some customers may experience longer outages if power surges cause equipment failure during the restoration process. Customers can minimize power surges by turning off appliances, lights and other equipment, except for one task light to determine when power has been restored.

ERCOT REGION

The ERCOT Region includes Houston, Dallas, Fort Worth, San Antonio, Austin, Corpus Christi, Abilene and the Rio Grande Valley. It does not include the El Paso area, the Texas Panhandle, Northeast Texas (Longview, Marshall and Texarkana), and Southeast Texas (Beaumont, Port Arthur, and the Woodlands).
During the days of regulated utilities, ERCOT had a rolling reserve of 25% for situations just like this.

Then de-regulation hit and it's below 10%. Yesterday it was negative and this morning it's less at 1%. We're on the ragged edge all the time.

And I wonder ... since deregulation, has your electric bill gone down any?

Write a letter to your congressman.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Damn Jerry Jones needed to come off of some of that stadium electricity LOL!
Old 02-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Thats a nice turd cutter!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Rolling Blackouts are all over El Paso. No hot water till just a few minutes ago. Me and my wife had about 11 blackouts that we had to go through. Wouldn't be so bad if we didn't have my 3 month old daughter. Plenty of winter clothes and blankets helped. I hope the region is better prepared next time.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have electricity but no running water. The pipe lines have been frozen since the cold weather came in. I'm starting to be a Dirty 30 myself.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Launching!

It all sucks.
It got down to -7 in some parts of El Paso. WTF happened? I guess the world is gonna end soon. LoL
Old 02-04-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm bout to take 120 degree shower for bout an hr this cold weather