Isn't there an easier way to remove the fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 211 Likes on 163 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I'll agree, I've done both and the LT1 took quite a bit longer. At the time the LT1 had stock manifolds and my LS1 has longtubes which probably helped lol.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The initial post was created for the viewing pleasure of the participants and nothing else. I need no assistance in removing fuel tanks. No Camaros were hurt during the taking of this picture (the Camaro was hurt before the picture was taken...)

Yes it was all a ruse.
While taking my rear-ended/wrecked parts doner apart a week back I decided I needed to better assess just how far the damage really extended into the inner structures of the car. The intial appearance (external) was of severe total loss. I was also very interested in the condition of the tank as I was planning on using it for a 280Z conversion I have in progress.

You can see from the included pics that I probaby was not going to do anymore damage than already existed and I have been itching to use a new metal cutting recip saw I have recently purchased. (I call them tiger saws).
I also needed to clear the fender's intrusion into the left wheel opening to allow the car to go back to normal ride height.

That saw worked like a light-saber; a Ninja approved tool!
I also got in some practice using a spot weld cutter.
After the bent/ripped/destroyed metal was removed I found I could remove the (completely undamaged!) tank with ease. With it sitting there on the ground I thought -what a wonderful picture this makes, the redneck's guide to fuel tank removal and thus this thread was born.

Pretty much everyone saw right through the ruse and hopefully everyone smiled and chuckled a bit.......
That was the intent.
Thanks for the friendly replies. I especially liked the trap door bit. Ninjas like trap doors!

Orange.... you should know, the VERY first thing you do before any work on a 4th gen is remove the hatch! Aids with ventilation. Ninjas must breath! The hatch had already been killed in the accident.

However, BigDave took serious offence but he was the ONLY one who posted a helpful link. Did any of you look as to where that link "sent" me?
It linked to the main page of the "newbie-tech" forum. He didn't even search out a "dummies guide to fuel tank/pump removal thread" or anything helpful. I also notice that he has been a member since 2008 and only has 27 posts so he may never see the following......

bigdave619. You took it hook.... line..... and sinker.....
You were not nice and tried to offer your assistance to put me where you thought I belonged.......
You have been officially Ninja-Slapped !
Have a good day sir.....

Those of you who have read my posts know I am not stingy with my use of the english vocabulary and a good rule to remember about me is:

If the Ninja's not typing..... The Ninja's scheming....

I'll leave ya'll with the saddest part of all.
That wrecked, nasty, 1/2 torn apart parts doner is a:
2002 (6/12/2002 to be exact) specially ordered, SLP modified, black on ebony leather hardtop M6 SS with 31K miles. It's a 345 hp CME/Bilstein fully documented 1 owner with all paperwork and all of the extra do-dads that came with the car including the birth certificate (I couldn't believe that till I saw it- hah birth certificate for a car/ Hamburger was brillant regarding adding value with paper! Very "cute").
It was wrecked in early 2006 and has been under a tarp since then.
Besides being ravaged severely by an evil ram truck driven by a clueless distracted young lady the car is extremely nice with only a few post manufacter mods, almost all of them coming from SLP directly.
In fact the car is nice enough that I am entertaining thoughts regarding it's ressurection back to "original" status and not parting it out but that is for another thread, not this one.........
It started instantly after sitting for 5 years with nothing more than putting a battery in it!
After locking the rear suspension into full extension (gained clearance for tire and CME) I was able to DRIVE it out of the original owner's driveway to make loading it onto the rollback easier.
I will be posting more details in future threads regarding this car, one of which will decide it's fate.
It's on life support now.
more to follow.....
Attached Thumbnails Isn't there an easier way to remove the fuel tank?-2002-camaro-other-junk-001.jpg   Isn't there an easier way to remove the fuel tank?-2002-camaro-other-junk-002.jpg   Isn't there an easier way to remove the fuel tank?-2002-camaro-other-junk-021.jpg   Isn't there an easier way to remove the fuel tank?-2002-camaro-other-junk-014.jpg   Isn't there an easier way to remove the fuel tank?-2002-camaro-other-junk-030.jpg  

Old 02-17-2011, 08:32 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I read your back story on the car and shed a tear.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:05 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the write up lol

But on a side note… Just because someone doesn’t have a large post count doesn’t mean they don’t post a lot or view the section a lot.

Your post count doesn’t go up in the Texas section…. it will only go up in the tech sections. So if you never post there it will never go up. Just a fyi.. I’m pretty sure “BigDave” post in this section a lot.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Thanks SSHAWK. I was wondering about the post count not going up. Explained!

I am a newbie to this site and to 4th gen F bodies themselves, just not to wrenching in general.

You were one of the folks who showed support earlier in the thread.
Thanks again!
Old 02-17-2011, 08:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by technicalninja
Thanks SSHAWK. I was wondering about the post count not going up. Explained!

I am a newbie to this site and to 4th gen F bodies themselves, just not to wrenching in general.

You were one of the folks who showed support earlier in the thread.
Thanks again!
No problem.

When you get time.... it would be nice to see your project build "280Z".
Old 02-18-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
No problem.

When you get time.... it would be nice to see your project build "280Z".
It's just a dirty old Z car.

+1 for restoring the SS with a patina like that.

Hi ri...errr....ninja...successful troll is.....successful. I laughed.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Any updates on this!? Decide to fix it?

Quick Reply: Isn't there an easier way to remove the fuel tank?