How long is too long for a shop

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty sure I read which shop you have your car at. I had my car there a little over a year. Because I was overseas they would wait till just before i come home and then try to put it together. So, it wasn't ready. They did it twice. Now my car is at another shop, because i'm not going back there.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
honestly go down there and ask to see where it is at. Look at the progress. I tend to think the worst of everything so in my mind is something happened and they are trying to cover it up or they just plain and simple havent touched it.
x3 that will tell you a lot.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

guy in my car club had his vette in shop for over a yr when was told would be like 6-8 months the extra time was cause the first build blew up on them so they redid it
Old 04-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LS1x2
If the goal is to make real power with a kb kit on an c6 I'd say 10 years is acceptable. It would be groundbreaking...lol
I was thinking that too.

I'd say 3 months is kinda long to not get the mechanic work done. If they were having issues pushing the KB that's another story....
Old 04-13-2011, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by icen
Forged pistons, h beam rods with arp rod bolts,and forged 402 stroker crank. Includes all machining and short block assy 3850

New stage 3 ls6 heads with 2.05 intake valves and 1.60 stainless exhaust ,675 springs with titanuim retainers 1950

Here are the rest of the parts that we will need with whatever short block and heads you go with.

Timing set- cam ,crank,and timing chain- 189
Hv oil pump 209
Custom ground camshaft 420
HP lifter set 235
Arp head studs 289
Complete gasket 265
Hardened pushrods 110
Oil and filter times 2 and coolant 130

Rand R engine 1500
CLean all parts,covers,oil pan,and install heads 550

plus some other little things. That and added boost from the KB till its maxed out. Im not gonna name the shop right now. Im not bashing in anyway. I want some feedback from people and shops that have went through this. Ive already paid a 6500 dollar deposit. Honestly I feel like every time i call (usually 3 times a week) all they say is itll be done next week and then when friday rolls around ohh itll be ready next week. I dropped my car off mid to late December. It was suppose do be done 2nd week of February. At first it was that the machine shop was taking a long time. Then it was because they needed a 6500 deposit, because they were floating too many projects. This was beginning of March. Honestly I wanted to say you have my 50k dollar vette, where the **** do you think Im goin. Well I ended up ponying up the cash. That was mid March. That brings us to current.
I think the holdup is because you paid so much money up front. Some shops use the rob Peter to pay Paul theory to complete other car that the money was spent to fund other customer projects.

If the shop is big enough and established they should not need to ask for up-front money for a project like that. Now if you was doing a 50k build then I can see it but a 10k build, NO.

I'm a sponsor on several other sites and the way I run my shop is if I cannot get it in and out in 1-2 days I do not have time for it. If it is a build like this waiting on a machine shop that is a little different but if I can have all the parts before you bring the car it is in and out 2 days tops... I had a car 2 months ago that was in and out in 1 month and I had to pull the motor, get it rebuilt by HKE, installing new trans/clutch, fix the leaking 9", Installing Meth kit/Boost controller and fixing several other issues. I did not like my car sitting at a shop so I do not expect for someone else’s to just sit around mine.

Last edited by Bad Chad; 04-13-2011 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Staging Lane

Spoke with them today. They believe my block came in today, but could not confirm it. Waiting to a call back. Trust me if I knew that it wouldve took this much time I would have went with LMR for a 1000 more.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Go take a peek and stop making phone calls.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:22 PM
FormerVendor

Sometimes the cheapest shop may not be your best choice.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

Originally Posted by 5w20
Go take a peek and stop making phone calls.
that normally works best
Old 04-14-2011, 02:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Robert@G-Force
Sometimes the cheapest shop may not be your best choice.
It wasn't so much that. I used them intially the year before to install the KB. So they gave me a little discount being a loyal customer. Plus I thought they would be more familiar with my car. Trust me lesson learned.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:10 AM
Teching In

Coming from someone who works in a performance shop. Simply put **** happens. More then likely they are waiting on a machine shop. Which they are. Why I ok for a machine shop to take 1-2 months but a shop it's not exceptable. If you want it done right it takes time. Seeing as you had them rebuild your stock engine. They have to remove it. Disassemble and send out the block. Wait for parts. Send the block to the machine shop wait 1-2 months or more. These types of builds do take along time. And I'd say the 10k 80% of that is parts.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:09 AM
Teching In

Hmmmm, just wondering, did you pay all of the money up front or was the delay due to a lack of payment? I just wanna make sure we're on the same page here as I've seen time and time again how people drop off cars with very little money down and expect to see the shop foot the bill. I'm sure the car is going to keep you smiling for a long time when it is complete, in the meantime you should take comfort in the fact that it is almost done.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:16 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by texas_zo6
Hmmmm, just wondering, did you pay all of the money up front or was the delay due to a lack of payment? I just wanna make sure we're on the same page here as I've seen time and time again how people drop off cars with very little money down and expect to see the shop foot the bill. I'm sure the car is going to keep you smiling for a long time when it is complete, in the meantime you should take comfort in the fact that it is almost done.
Originally Posted by icen
plus some other little things. That and added boost from the KB till its maxed out. Im not gonna name the shop right now. Im not bashing in anyway. I want some feedback from people and shops that have went through this. Ive already paid a 6500 dollar deposit. Honestly I feel like every time i call (usually 3 times a week) all they say is itll be done next week and then when friday rolls around ohh itll be ready next week. I dropped my car off mid to late December. It was suppose do be done 2nd week of February. At first it was that the machine shop was taking a long time. Then it was because they needed a 6500 deposit, because they were floating too many projects. This was beginning of March. Honestly I wanted to say you have my 50k dollar vette, where the **** do you think Im goin. Well I ended up ponying up the cash. That was mid March. That brings us to current.

But I'm with the OP on this.

If this was a well known shop like the ones on here they wouldn't have asked for the money.

They had his Vette if he doesn't pay well they have his car.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:35 AM
9 Second Club

So a shop is suppost to put up thousands of dollars upfront on parts? I dont know the way other shops do it but asking for 50% of the parts upfront is not uncommon. I have been in this game long enough to know that sometimes customers fall on hard times and the shop ends up with parts it paid for upfront and the customer never shows up etc. And if you go to the dam machine shop weekly and they keep on delaying you what can you really do. You cant put the car together with no motor. Sucks but I have been down the same road with other engine builders also.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:51 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
So a shop is suppost to put up thousands of dollars upfront on parts? I dont know the way other shops do it but asking for 50% of the parts upfront is not uncommon. I have been in this game long enough to know that sometimes customers fall on hard times and the shop ends up with parts it paid for upfront and the customer never shows up etc. And if you go to the dam machine shop weekly and they keep on delaying you what can you really do. You cant put the car together with no motor. Sucks but I have been down the same road with other engine builders also.
I can also understand that about asking for the 50% up front... But it sounds like he was never asked for the money until about a month later. So thats what makes this sound so much more like a game of..... I have other cars I promised I would get out and yours is going to have to wait.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

any update on your car ? sorry just been curious
Old 04-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Teching In

welcome to my world, been waiting for my car for over a year.... Paying for some of the parts up front I think is acceptable right now especially if its a smaller shop and they have alot of projects going on, I couldnt imagine how much cash would be tied up in trying to pump out a few forced induction cars plus whatever small stuff comes along.

But yeah man, I feel for ya, the shop my car is at had done some good work previously and I was trying to keep with the same place so I wouldnt end up with a frankenmobile so very much in the same boat as you. Im finally on the home stretch so Im not as pissed off as I was a few months ago anyways, just want to pick the damn thing up and hopefully get 1 descent night of good air before summer kills any epic track nights.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

Was told this past Thursday that they should have the engine by this weekend. So if that is the case car should be done this week. Ill update it when I call them tomorrow.