Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics! Last page...

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 03:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chaman
Looking forward to **** my pants....
This post is a dead horse stop beating it... When he post pictures when its done he should just start a new thread.

So damn long and nothing

Everytime I see it up top I think hell yeah it's done lets look at it.... open post.... NOTHING GRRRRR!

Last edited by SSHAWK; 09-13-2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
This post is a dead horse stop beating it... When he post pictures when its done he should just start a new thread.

So damn long and nothing

Everything I see it up top I think hell yeah it's done lets look at it.... open post.... NOTHING GRRRRR!
i know what you mean i've been waiting on pics of the direct port to get some ideas but theres never any pictures.........
Old 09-13-2011, 03:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good idea.. not my cup of tea but I'd like to see it while walking around at a show.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:51 PM
On The Tree

Direct Port... Looks Bad ***
Attached Thumbnails Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics!  Last page...-243911_1372150199647_1708557807_619312_8359304_o.jpg  
Old 09-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blackfly
Direct Port... Looks Bad ***
man thats the setup im going to do right there how much does that kit run
Old 09-15-2011, 06:28 PM
TECH Regular

You get one peek guys. I know it's been a while...sorry.

This is a PhotoShop of how the end product will come out. Love or hate it, this is it. Say what you will.

As for the current state, it's already 70-80% done and coming out better than the PhotoShop. The front part of the flare is the REAL kicker (and where you guys will **** your pants.) I'm keeping that to myself until finished...

(Love the body filler cracking comment btw) Definitely not what's going to happen here. A lot of due diligence has been put into this project.

You may recognize the base car in this PhotoShop as it's Runnws7's. I just bought Mecham tips so it was most appropriate. I PhotoShop'ed in my wheels and everything else.
Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics!  Last page...-misha-rear-vent-modern-flare-copy.jpg

Let the comments begin...
Old 09-15-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

You're a bigger tease than a stripper in the champagne room!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Not feeling that...at all.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:52 PM
TECH Regular

Alright one more preview...
Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics!  Last page...-preview.jpg
Aaaannnd the current direct port/engine bay.
Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics!  Last page...-imag0402.jpg

Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics!  Last page...-imag0401.jpg
Old 09-15-2011, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

BTW the rear vent "gills" are made of carbon. That might be worth a few extra cool points.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

aannd my inspiration. This is work performed by Misha designs. So one could consider this "Misha" style.
Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics!  Last page...-rsl18.jpg

Edit: I should clarify that my inspiration for the rear vent was because of the above Mercedes build. However the original inspiration was the L-88 'vette.

Last edited by Austin Auflick; 09-15-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:17 PM
Teching In

im glad you didnt give up and got over that frustration. i want to share with you my project so you know your not alone. in fact both our cars will be finished around the same time. i started it with making foam molds, then shaping sheet metal over it. im an amateur at this so i need to finish with filler. now just need to sand it all down to finish shaping it. ill tell tho there were many times i just wanted to give up and tear it all off. sorry many of the posts werent supportive towards you. in my case ive been able to rely on my friends.
Attached Thumbnails Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics!  Last page...-99ta-017.jpg   Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics!  Last page...-99ta-016.jpg  
Old 09-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Teching In

btw, do have any creative suggestion on finishing this up? like adding a line or grille, or any change before i get this painted?
Old 09-15-2011, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by javi1231
im glad you didnt give up and got over that frustration. i want to share with you my project so you know your not alone. in fact both our cars will be finished around the same time. i started it with making foam molds, then shaping sheet metal over it. im an amateur at this so i need to finish with filler. now just need to sand it all down to finish shaping it. ill tell tho there were many times i just wanted to give up and tear it all off. sorry many of the posts werent supportive towards you. in my case ive been able to rely on my friends.
WHOA! I thought that was my car for a sec! It's AMAZING how similar our cars are going to turn out. We've been keeping secrets haven't we?! I have a new found respect for people that do custom body work for a living (and I thought I respected them before.) GREAT JOB MAN. You'll have something you'll be totally proud of.

For the posts that weren't supportive - I could give a crap. I don't modify without class, and I know this project will turn out awesome. It appears you and I share the same ideals. Ef 'em.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

btw, do have any creative suggestion on finishing this up? like adding a line or grille, or any change before i get this painted?
I'd love to see more pics before I make any suggestions bro. Honestly, I think I see where you're going with this, I think it could REALLY turn out nice with the right details.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Teching In

my inspiration was a corvette like in your case. i chose a c6 zo6. the rear part of the flare will be extended with a flat black wheel well cover tapering and curving towards the bottom to match the main flare. the zo6 duct by the door is defined and square. thats where i dont know how to approach it, my duct or where it connects to my flare.
Attached Thumbnails Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics!  Last page...-99ta-013.jpg   Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics!  Last page...-99ta-015.jpg  
Old 09-15-2011, 08:34 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Im wanting to see complete photos. How much longer?
Old 09-15-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Regular

my inspiration was a corvette like in your case. i chose a c6 zo6. the rear part of the flare will be extended with a flat black wheel well cover tapering and curving towards the bottom to match the main flare. the zo6 duct by the door is defined and square. thats where i dont know how to approach it, my duct or where it connects to my flare.
I think I see the problem. I believe your best option is to bring the brake duct down to the door body line. that way it would adhere to the original shape. Keep in mind, these birds are curvy. The last thing you want in your duct is angles. I'd make it a bit more curvy if possible.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

**** me! The flares are awesome! I want to see the finished product for sure. Did you end up doing this yourself or are you having a shop do it? If so, who and where are they? And approximately how many dollars are we talking?

I love it man! Get that bitch finished. It might be worth checking out next time I come to texas.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
**** me! The flares are awesome! I want to see the finished product for sure. Did you end up doing this yourself or are you having a shop do it? If so, who and where are they? And approximately how many dollars are we talking?

I love it man! Get that bitch finished. It might be worth checking out next time I come to texas.
I had a feeling someone would like it as much as I do. I'm doing it myself (which is why it has taken so long.) I had to teach myself body work one ef-up at a time. Now it seems I've finally figured out how to do this job. Thanks to all the online research available, one can certainly pull of almost any task!
Right now I'm using what Javi1231 mentioned. I'm using a foam base for the plug. But instead of metal, I'm using chop matt fiber glass with EXCELLENT resins (this is key) to provide a rigid mold. Measures have been taken to to adhere everything properly, allowing little, if any, flex on flares. If flex is present, it'll be minuscule so much that the flex won't harm the finish in any way (much like our polyurethane bumpers can flex, yet the paint is fine).

I'm very excited about this project and can't wait for all you guys to see it (whether you like it or not )

Quick Reply: Fender Flares on '02 T/A Updated with progress pics! Last page...