For you stock traders

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2011, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took a course offered by Investools which is sponsored by TD Ameritrade. I don't recommend anyone to take that course because it is way overpriced. They have 4 degree plans and I paid 12K for the Masters. I will post some simple tips for you guys to see how to get started. One thing you must remember, stock trading is not for everyone. You have to have 3 things in my opinion. Dicipline, patience, and knowledge. Of course I am excluding the constant variable of money, but if you get good enough it can be a full time day job. Because I can't pm everyone due to time, I'll post a message here on some recommendations on starting.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking forward to your recommendations/ helpful advise on this....
Old 05-07-2011, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

Not looking for a quick get rich plan but long term retirement investments. I'm 28 and need to start now. My question is you say you've made 400k in investments. To put this in retrospect did you make high initial investments?

Like if you put in 100k to begin with and now have 400k. Well someone like me who starts of with say 10k and percentage ratio would tell me I would profit 40k. Also how many yrs has your nest egg been growing
Old 05-07-2011, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by drago1217
Not looking for a quick get rich plan but long term retirement investments. I'm 28 and need to start now. My question is you say you've made 400k in investments. To put this in retrospect did you make high initial investments?

Like if you put in 100k to begin with and now have 400k. Well someone like me who starts of with say 10k and percentage ratio would tell me I would profit 40k. Also how many yrs has your nest egg been growing
I started with around $50,000 in 2005. When the market crashed hard in winter 2008, everyone was too scared to invest. That was the best time to put money in the market because everything went north after that huge plunge. So far most stocks are still rising but I lost crazy money on GM thinking China was going to do something with that company and they would not go bankrupt. I would advise more amateur investors to first begin with a Roth IRA. Most of us who know anything about the future know we may not get social security benefits because it is due to run out around 2020. Roth IRA allows you to start a retirement plan and keep adding money until you retire and then it will be tax-free because your taxes are deducted annually. My Roth IRA is with TD Ameritrade and I can manage my stocks within that fund. An IRA Roth can be opening at most banks and fund companies also.
Old 05-07-2011, 01:28 PM
TECH Regular

Nice to see another guy from Houston on LS1tech in the market! i started trading about 4 years ago. I’m a day trader tho no investments for me.

All i trade are futures and commodities now.

looks like you know what your talking about though.. those are all very solid investments IMO. congrats on the profit!

are you on any other market forums or websites?
Old 05-07-2011, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Default Course 1

Anyone can trade stock. Let's remember the difference between trading stock and gambling to begin. Gambling is luck, sometimes based on a calculated guess you can beat the house. Why is trading stock not gambling? Because you can control your risk and make financial decisions based on fact and speculation. If you are new to trading, you need to sign up with a broker company (free). E-Trade, TD-Ameritrade, Scotttrade. Begin by depositing an amount of money into your account that you can say good-bye to and not jump off a bridge. I suggest $100 to $1,000. Most of these companies will take a $9 commission for each trade you do, buy or sell. They may also have some promotions for new customers that may exempt those fees for a period of time. Before you begin trading, you MUST have rules. If you have no discipline to follow rules, then this may not be a good idea.
Below are my rules in trading.

#1 Always trade with the trend. (study the chart and trade accordingly)
#2 Don't be bias with companies. (I love Pepsi, but it's not going to make me rich anytime soon)
#3 Diversify (dont put all your money in one stock)
#4 watch the news all the time (Knowledge on companies perceptions is important)
#5 be patient (don't sell just because you see share drop in price)
#6 Know when to sell and when to buy

Yes, most people say buy low and sell high but if it was that easy than every trader would be rich. That in theory is a good idea but you must learn how to do it. I will add a post to explain that soon.
Let me know if you guys open a stock account. Even if you start with $100, we will try to make that $200 in a month. most good traders make around a 10-15 percent return every year.
Old 05-07-2011, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

This is great ill have a 2k check free and clear in 2 weeks I might say goodbye to half of it to get started.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by drago1217
This is great ill have a 2k check free and clear in 2 weeks I might say goodbye to half of it to get started.
Its best to invest what your willing to lose to begin with
Love and hate relationship though.I love checking on my stocks everynow and then but boy it can sure take you for a emotinal roller coaster ride.

I love it when a stock I own splits.I have owned a stock that has split 2 for 1 "3" times already
Old 05-07-2011, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 8urls1
Its best to invest what your willing to lose to begin with
Love and hate relationship though.I love checking on my stocks everynow and then but boy it can sure take you for a emotinal roller coaster ride.

I love it when a stock I own splits.I have owned a stock that has split 2 for 1 "3" times already
Well said 8urls. You surely have to have money that you can afford to lose and not have the repo man coming to your home next month. Spits are any stock holders dream, as rare as they are we reap some great benefits from that. If any of you have some companies that are doing well or you think will have a good run, please post the ticker symbol. I always get the next big hit companies from my other fellow traders to, always research the company then decide on buying.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Banned

I'm holding a bunch of HEV that was bought in the low $4's. Its now down around $2.30 a share. It could be a hell of a deal for someone or they could be on their way to filing BK. Hopefully the battery sector will get some love sometime soon and HEV along with AONE will get a much needed boost!!
Old 05-07-2011, 06:09 PM
Banned

I also have a bunch of KEY. Its been a nice steady play for me with a $.01 div every 3 months and selling at the money covered call options on the stock.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

I've been playing in recently. Nothing else to do while deployed and have learned a bit and made a bit. I like penny stocks lol. I bought into Sirius a long time ago and forgot about it. bought in at $.40 a share x 1000 shares, its up to $2.22 a share. thats a 5x profit. Not bad when you think about it. I've also got 1000 shares in JAMN. Theyre doing good since they started selling on Amazon. Looking at MERC too but they just dont have a steady growth. Look at the percentages of growth not just the dollar amount and see if its been a steady growth over a certain time frame. Yeah you can buy a share of something for $1500 that on average goes up $7 and down $21 and up $15, which is a small percentage each time, or you can buy a lot of a $1 stock and watch percentages as high as 70% growth. Its great.