random voltage drop

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default random voltage drop

ok here recently when driving or idling I get a voltage drop and everything dims needle drops right below 13 and then immediately back to normal normally before I can even look down. It is completely random no time interval no bouncing nothing any one else have this issue. Oh and its a new alternator so I know thats not it cause thats what I originally thought it was. The ground wires are new but the power wires arnt could that cause my issue.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What does the temp gauge say? Usually when this happens, your electric fan is turning on.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Yes thats what i was gonna say, listen for a relay click prior to the voltage drop. Its caused by the motor of the fan putting a load on the alternator.

Wiring the fans on constant usually will fix this but cause other problems.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

I went to school for auto electronics and I didnt even think about that thanks guys. kinda hard to hear a click though car is loud but ill pop hood and wait for them to turn on and have some one check to see if it dose it then any other way to fix it other than constant on it annoys the crap out of me at night when the lights dim out i feel like such a chode
Old 05-10-2011, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a manual fan switch in my car to keep my LT1 cool when I'm sitting in traffic. I had noticed the same voltage drop in my car before installing the switch, and I get the exact same voltage drop when I turn the fans on manually -- probably a good bet that you are noticing the fans kick on.

Quick Reply: random voltage drop