Where did the ecoboost thread go?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 09:54 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruthless Robbie
dont be fooled by ford's marketing and sales presentations......

they advertise 165,000 mi. of "torture" but yet 150,000 of that was cruising freely on an engine dyno

yeah they ran it through the rev range on the engine dyno but i promise you it spent 99% of the time cruising

ALSO, you have to question why they put it on an engine dyno?!?! because the truck wouldn't hold up!!! i bet the transmission wouldn't hold up!!! as well as many other parts!!!

so in actuality the "truck" just got 15,000 miles of testing...... the engine got 165,000 and 150,000 of that was cruising on an engine dyno

if you wanna see a real "torture" test watch the tundra deconstructed videos

its takes the "whole" truck and test it...... you can see how the transmission held up towing goose neck trailers with 14,000 lbs of cattle in the 120 degree west texas summer...... you can see how the suspension held up driving on rough dirt roads...... you get to see how the entire truck held up as a work truck on a cattle ranch for 100,000 miles

The truck is tried and tested. It has been in production for 3 years. The engine is the only thing new so it is the only thing referenced in these specific tests.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HTX
The truck is tried and tested. It has been in production for 3 years. The engine is the only thing new so it is the only thing referenced in these specific tests.
the difference between the tundra and the ecoboost was toyota tested the entire truck

if you pulled a 24' goose neck trailer with 14,000 lbs of cattle in it day in and day out in 120 degree west texas summer heat for 100,000 miles, i got money that the transmission wouldn't hold up in a half ton ford

i also got money saying the front end would often need work and alignment on the half ton ford driving it on dirt ranch roads for 100,000 miles

not to mention misc. issues that would arise

saying the engine is the only thing that needs to be "torture" tested to me is vague...... the engine should hold up better than the trans, suspension, front-end/steering, misc. etc.

just because i drive my car @ 7,000 rpms for long periods of time daily im not "amazed" at the engine, i expect it to hold up...... as hard as i drive my car im more worried about my brake pads wearing out too quickly, rotors warped from over heating, repeated transmission shifts @ wide open throttle, suspension at high speed bumps....... im not the least worried about my engine...... its everything else that will wear/tear more quickly when put through "torture"

Old 06-02-2011, 10:16 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

The topic is the engine though. I'm not sure why you are talking about a tundra or reving your engine to 7,000rpm.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lol at ruthless Robbie

Not worth the time to argue but i can tell you this, you couldn't pay me to drive one of those **** bird tundras. Most Gisele truck on the market.

Any real man pulling a goose neck that often wouldn't use a half ton anyways, besides poor people that couldn't get into a 3/4 ton.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HTX
The topic is the engine though. I'm not sure why you are talking about a tundra or reving your engine to 7,000rpm.
you said the truck is "tried & tested" when its clearly NOT

also, the ecoboost engine isn't even "tried & tested" in my opinion...... they "advertise" it as 165,000 miles of "torture" but yet 150,000 of that was @ cruising speed on the engine dyno

why don't they advertise it as "15,000 miles of torture"????

because that wouldn't win people over...... so they cruise it for 150,000 miles "or so they say" then "torture" it for 15,000 miles and advertise it as 165,000 miles of torture

its marketing and sales strategy

people fall for that...... i dont care about how "good" a salesman is, i care about how "good" the product is that im buying

wild bill said he would buy the truck based off the engine torture test...... im pointing out that its not smart to buy a truck based solely on an engine..... you should look at the WHOLE truck......

Last edited by Ruthless Robbie; 06-02-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
Any real man pulling a goose neck that often wouldn't use a half ton anyways, besides poor people that couldn't get into a 3/4 ton.
because "poor" people drive a new tundra......

its to show that the 1/2 ton toyota can hold its own in 3/4 ton duty AND be reliable unlike its competitors that would be spitting out transmissions & suspensions

also, im glad the tundra hit the scene the way it did

4.10 gears
6 speed auto
400+ ft/lbs
just under 400hp

in a time when ford, chevy, & dodge had 80hp less with 4 speed auto's and 3.73's

if it wasn't for competition it wouldn't have gotten ford, chevy, & dodge to step up their game..... dont hate on competitors..... they force others make better products

that being said, if i was in the truck market i would get a new gmc w/ the 6.2

that way i will have a gm with 400hp paired with a 6 speed auto and i have to thank toyota for that

Last edited by Ruthless Robbie; 06-02-2011 at 11:00 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

I suppose he is correct about the competition thing...
Old 06-03-2011, 07:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1x2
You mentioned 2. Did they both spin them?

The other one hasnt enter the shop yet. We've been backed up for a couple of months with a few problematic diesels from a fleet agency. We cant figure out what the hell these guys are doing to royally f**k up these trucks lol.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AnnivSS
The other one hasnt enter the shop yet. We've been backed up for a couple of months with a few problematic diesels from a fleet agency. We cant figure out what the hell these guys are doing to royally f**k up these trucks lol.
They are probably flogged non-stop...
Old 06-03-2011, 08:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 212 Likes on 174 Posts

I dont care how you flog a 6.4L diesel f550, you arent going to destroy two turbos, a shortblock, and an oil cooler in 2 weeks. This will be the second shortblock weve put in it in 3 months.
Old 06-03-2011, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

built ford tough
Old 06-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

you dont make any sense, you're on a gm site, with 2 gm vehicles in your sig, with ls-1 in your name and YOU are the one calling me a "fanboy"

so, being a fan of a good product is a bad thing?!?!

yes, i am a fan of the tundra's.... but everything i said was true

I own 2 Nissans as well. I owned 2 of those in the past also. An ls1 username on a ls1 site, who would have thought? lol

I'm not brand loyal in the least. I'd buy the tundra if I like it for the money. I don't.

Basically what I got from you comments was that Ford marketing is "just marketing," but Toyota marketing is the new testament.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjTbiYo3x0

Now what was it you were saying about that dirt ranch roads?
Old 06-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1x2
Now what was it you were saying about that dirt ranch roads?
in the video above, the ford team said "find something we're better at and makes others look bad"

so they come up with this

stiffer isn't always better

"you want flex"

the toyota's frame/chassis/suspension isn't designed to be stiff...... its designed to flex so it can distribute impact over a larger area resulting in less stress overall

if you have something that is "stiff" like the ford in the above video, then in the area's effected, while they may not be moving, they are undergoing all the force and stress applied which will cause it to break down over time

think of how cars have "crumple zones" so they fold up like an accordion in a collision..... its because the energy is being distributed in every direction causing the impact to be diluted, minimizing the force to occupants inside the vehicle

this is the same type of logic

by having a stiff truck, you have all the force directed towards specific areas

by having some flex, you dilute the force over a large area "REDUCING STRESS"

because of this, ford once again used clever marketing strategy..... by going the same speed on the same bumps repeatedly they make the tundra "wobble"

this is NOT what would happen in the real world..... if you truly think so you are hypnotized by fords marketing department

in REAL world scenarios the are not hundreds of identical bumps, the same distance from each other, people wouldn't be driving the same speed while hitting huge potholes, also people would slow down

thats important, i bet ford wouldn't play a video with the trucks doing real world scenarios by the driver slowing down, because it would make their product look bad

under slower speeds, you will see the tundras suspension/chassis/frame "flex" or "twist" while the front maintained straight

the ford though, being stiff, would steeply lean back and fourth like a boat in a sea storm

"sitffer isn't always better"

Last edited by Ruthless Robbie; 06-03-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:44 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

This is hilarious to me. I'm tempted to post another vid so you can entertain some more.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Well my dad had a 2008 tundra heck of a truck.drove a ecoboost and bought a 5.0.the ecoboost had no were the performance it does.coming from me owning a 2011 hemi and my 2 younger bro that has 6.2 chevy excab.the 5.0 feels better than the hemi been trying to sneak the keys to try it against the chevys.lol
Old 06-03-2011, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I find it funny he is bashing ford marketing, yet is spitting out what the Toyota marketing is putting out.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My truck would murder and rape a tundra all day then go eat a ******* pazookie at BJ's just to chill out after.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:41 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by -Ross-
My truck would murder and rape a tundra all day then go eat a ******* pazookie at BJ's just to chill out after.
Mmmmmmmm....Pazookie!!

Old 06-04-2011, 01:54 PM
11 Second Club

stiffer isn't always better.
Not always, but it is here.

"you want flex"
They mentioned in the video that the box actually touched the cab. You want that much flex? I sure as hell don't. And that's with no trailer, add 16000 pounds to it and see how much it flexes.

think of how cars have "crumple zones" so they fold up like an accordion in a collision..... its because the energy is being distributed in every direction causing the impact to be diluted, minimizing the force to occupants inside the vehicle

this is the same type of logic
No... it's not.

this is NOT what would happen in the real world..... if you truly think so you are hypnotized by fords marketing department

in REAL world scenarios the are not hundreds of identical bumps, the same distance from each other
Have you ever actually driven on a ranch road?

The average speed on most ranch roads is 20-30mph. You keep talking about how the Tundra has went 100k on a ranch road, do you know how long that would take? unless that **** was paved, Which wouldn't surprise me much since we're talking about Toyota after all.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

and lets see, the tundra had to try to market doing "3/4 ton duties" due to them not having a production 3/4 ton to compete with the other big truck contenders.

this dude is just spitting out what ever the toyota commercials will feed him.