T/A 1996 LT1 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the prestone does not congeal with the dexcool. its compatible with all colors of antifreeze, even orange ( dex cool). it'll only congeal with the old, what they call " conventional green" antifreeze. it sounds like you have water mixed with the oil, which is probably a head gasket
Old 05-18-2011, 02:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by anolis
not too familiar with this, but from my understanding.. its an add on gauge where you put a probe somewhere in the engine and mount the gauge somewhere in the cabin to give an accurate reading of temperature if the original gauge is bad

ie.. http://www.revingtontr.com/shop/coll...pe=TR3&CID=792
I added an Autometer water temp. gauge to my '01 WS6 just to get an accurate reading of what the temp. was since the dash gauge is just a dummy gauge. It was pretty interesting to see what the actual temp. was versus what the dash gauge said.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by anolis
So tried again and it did the same thing except when i slowed down the needle would go back down to around 160 (normal for my car) the dipstick was nasty, completely brown and rusty looking.
If coolant is disappearing and you dont see it leaking on the ground my best bet would be head gasket. I had an LT1 do the same thing to me many years ago. It would drive alright but then start to overheat at idle, driving faster (or at least keeping the rev's up) helped keep the temperature down. I thought it was the water pump so I put an electric one on there and that finished off the head gasket.

Like someone else said... if your oil looks like chocolate milk (and smells kind of sweet) you have coolant getting into the oil.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had this happen to me but my head gaskets are perfectly sound nothing wrong with them. I found about a gallon of water in my oil pan after i pegged my temp gauge to were it no longer works so I pulled my heads to check to see if i had a blown gasket and they were good.

so now i have to have the block and heads checked.

hope this hasnt happened to you good luck
Old 05-19-2011, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

yup choco milk oil is bad had it happen to my fiero, pulled the head and cracks were big enough to stick my finger nail in

Quick Reply: T/A 1996 LT1 overheating