Forged LS3 Twin PT66 Trans Am Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:42 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by TXMaro
Ah, the name calling has reversed... But I guess it's ok if you do it, huh? And every part has a limit... but I don't know in what world the oiling system or tune causes rods to stretch, soooo yeah, brilliant argument.

And I too applogize west, I'm not hating... I think its going to be a nice build and I love the car. I'd just hate to see it fail over something that could be easily avoided.

LME just did the machine work and shortblock assembly/cam degree. Parts were provided by me, all brand new, and I put together the rest of the motor and installed myself.

I didn't talk to Eagle, because there was no point honestly. All they would say is the motor was over-reved or something along those lines and I can't prove otherwise. I know it wasn't and leason learned, is all there is to it.

And unless you have L19s, you're over the rated power of an Eagle rod anyway... L19s?
How did you determine the rods stretched? That sounds absurd for a 6500rpm engine only making 420hp.

BTW, build looks nice OP.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Westtexas the build looks killer and DB rods will do a outstanding job on his end.

My 98 z28 stretched some rods one time. Motor was low on oil due to the PCV system on the 98's. Motor only had 10k on it...Of coarse I didnt know any of this until after the fact when I talked to some friends that later told me that for every bottle I went threw the car burned a quart of oil and some of the synethic oils burned faster. I called MTI who confirmed that to be the case...

I guess I should have learned my lesson then and said LS engines are junk.....My ford engines never did that...but im just hard headed.

Last edited by Clean94Z; 06-07-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Big Daddy ran Eagle stuff in his motor for a long time and it ran high 7's.

While its not my first choice, Eagle stuff can be made to last, but.... by the time you machine it to make it right, you could have bought Callies.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:54 AM
Launching!

i was gonna leave this be, but really you believe oil system wouldnt cause a stretched rod.... lol
Old 06-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SHovV
ah ok. i didnt see em in the pics you posted so i was curious. curious again lol, why weren't the installed from moser? and any reason for the m9 over the mwc? gl with the build man. the rims are killer also. nice to see something other than classics/505's and fm5/10's
I think because I originally ordered a bare housing with no torque arm. I was going to have my own torque arm fabbed to save on cost (because an M9 bare housing with torque arm is like $1700, the bare housing is $800). But I found out the M9 torque arms are $600, so I might just order one when I'm at that point, I'm not sure yet.

The reason I chose the M9 over an MWC is because MWC told me I'd have to wait around 6+ weeks to get it. I got my M9 housing like 4 days after I ordered it.

Thanks man... yeah that's why I like the Aros and didn't pass up on the deal... you don't see them that often on 4th gen TAs
Old 06-07-2011, 02:56 PM
Launching!

What turbo pipe setup are you running? APS-like or top mounted?
Old 06-07-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You have a turbo LS swapped hatch that only runs 10.3s so I don't see how you get off on knocking my build... but whatever.
Sorry but I just read this...................ONLY?

Its also only a forged stock displacement 6.0 with stock unported heads,a tiny cam and turbo. Running no timing on pump gas when its 100 degrees in texas and 80% humidity. It was only the 3rd pass the car has made since all the suspension went in. It was also only leaving on the pedal no 2 step in a manual tranny turbo car. Only..........psssssft!

Last edited by Clean94Z; 06-07-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ysb02
What turbo pipe setup are you running? APS-like or top mounted?
As far as hotside, I am wanting it to look like the 417 motorsports kits, with 3" downpipes exiting right in front of the tires:

For cold side, I made a quick mock up of what I'm thinking it will be like. Charge pipes from turbos to top of intercooler, then to the intake from the bottom like this:

Old 06-07-2011, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

why not run the pipe like the 417 car?
Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Old 06-08-2011, 09:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Clean94Z
Sorry but I just read this...................ONLY?

Its also only a forged stock displacement 6.0 with stock unported heads,a tiny cam and turbo. Running no timing on pump gas when its 100 degrees in texas and 80% humidity. It was only the 3rd pass the car has made since all the suspension went in. It was also only leaving on the pedal no 2 step in a manual tranny turbo car. Only..........psssssft!
Sorry, but if I put a turbo LS in that light of a car, especially a fox since they are amazingly easy to get to run stupid fast in the 1/4... and it didn't at least see 9s, I'd throw it away...

I determined the rods stretched by having a piston smack the head and having a machine shop confirm.

And why would the oiling system cause streched rods with good oil pressure and no other oiling issues?...

My post wasnt to start an argument, I was merely stating my opinion and experience with this particular part, so to avoid muking up this man's thread anymore, this is my last post in this thread. Like I said before, very nice car and cool build. Hope all works out for you.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:15 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6.0mustang
i was gonna leave this be, but really you believe oil system wouldnt cause a stretched rod.... lol
yeah, I saw that too.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:16 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Sorry, but if I put a turbo LS in that light of a car, especially a fox since they are amazingly easy to get to run stupid fast in the 1/4... and it didn't at least see 9s, I'd throw it away...
The junky mustang is not done... not at all.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:48 AM
KCS

I determined the rods stretched by having a piston smack the head and having a machine shop confirm.
Did you check deck height prior to assembly? How far was the piston out of the hole before you put the head on? How thick was the headgasket? How far did the rods stretch as confirmed by the machine shop?
Old 06-09-2011, 07:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Guys, please take your rod stretching debate to another thread. Westtexasbuff has a great build going here, and we don't need to turn a build thread into another "I seen [SIC] a guy who had brand X component break, so I'll never use those" debate.

-Mike
Old 06-09-2011, 08:12 AM
KCS

Debate? I'm just asking questions. At least its more constructive than arguing how fast a Mustang should go with a turbo...
Old 06-09-2011, 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Guys, please take your rod stretching debate to another thread. Westtexasbuff has a great build going here, and we don't need to turn a build thread into another "I seen [SIC] a guy who had brand X component break, so I'll never use those" debate.

-Mike
I agree with you Mike these little kid retards need to go take their arguement somewhere else. Start your own thread if you want to talk about rods, otherwise GTFO of here.

As far as the build, it looks like you are working right along. Are you going to run mufflers after the down pipes? Or are the turbos enough of a muffler for you?
Old 06-09-2011, 08:46 AM
11 Second Club

I just can't stop coming back to this thread and drooling...
Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

with that comment just shows how inexperianced you are when it comes to the track .... and you have never been to this track!! It aint baytown..

just cause you throw a turbo ls swap in a mustang doesnt mean it automatic runs 9's. You do have to get the car to hook,go straight aside from getting a manual trans car off the line hard without boost. Manual trans car are not auto cars!!

If the piston smacked the head how is that a EAGLE ROD failure?

Sounds like someone didnt have the correct clearances when they did the setup.

And why would the oiling system cause streched rods with good oil pressure and no other oiling issues?...
If the motor is low on oil the pistons will swell from heat and drag on the cylinders. The wrist pin will try to lock and it will stretch the rod. If you read what I wrote early you will see that my 98 did the same thing.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Clean94Z
with that comment just shows how inexperianced you are when it comes to the track .... and you have never been to this track!! It aint baytown..

just cause you throw a turbo ls swap in a mustang doesnt mean it automatic runs 9's. You do have to get the car to hook,go straight aside from getting a manual trans car off the line hard without boost. Manual trans car are not auto cars!!

If the piston smacked the head how is that a EAGLE ROD failure?

Sounds like someone didnt have the correct clearances when they did the setup.

If the motor is low on oil the pistons will swell from heat and drag on the cylinders. The wrist pin will try to lock and it will stretch the rod. If you read what I wrote early you will see that my 98 did the same thing.

Point made, now drop it and go back to your thread down the page. I had alot of respect for you and your build, but that is fading fast with the bickering and keyboard jockeying. Lets try to keep this thread about Westtexasbuff's turbo build not anything else. I don't want to see a good thread like this get locked because of you.

Quick Reply: Forged LS3 Twin PT66 Trans Am Build