Any Runners Here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011 | 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

I usually do HIIT twice a week on treadmill, much easier to time and dial-in intensity. I also try to work in 3 regular runs, typically around 4 or more miles. The HIIT is new to me, only been doing it for a couple months, but holy crap it improved my regular running, I had plateaued with regard to speed, now back to hauling the mail! I am now a believer in HIIT, not really doing it to lose weight, just improve my running, which it certainly has.
Old 06-18-2011 | 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by cookba
^^ really good workout routine RedBaron!

Also, you should not run when you are in actual pain ie shin splints, stress fractures etc. For one that could cause you to be denied enlistment at MEPS or it will come back while in boot camp or OCS and you will be separated. And for those already active, you can be med sep'd for continuous shin splints or stress fractures. Its not worth it. Train right. Good shoes and insoles are key especially if you haven't ran in a while and know what shoes work with your feet.

If you are training to run 3 miles, don't incorporate 6 mile runs in your routine. Dont go passed 4 miles. Otherwise, you will subconsciously slow yourself down by holding in energy and slowing your breathing pattern down more than if you were running for half the distance at max bore (great advice by a previous bare foot running SgtMaj).
+1 on splint info, good advice!!! I had a bout with shin splints this year, inner side of the lower leg. I was over doing it some, but the shoes turned out to be my primary culprit. I started iceing after runs and switched back to my old shoes, the new ones just did not work for my form. I had a stress fracture 6 years ago, thought I good run thru the splints and ignore the pain. Took me a long time to recover and get back to form.
Old 06-18-2011 | 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cookba

If you are training to run 3 miles, don't incorporate 6 mile runs in your routine. Dont go passed 4 miles. Otherwise, you will subconsciously slow yourself down by holding in energy and slowing your breathing pattern down more than if you were running for half the distance at max bore (great advice by a previous bare foot running SgtMaj).
i was curious, what was the longest run you have to go through in boot camp? i know in the corps you have to run 3 for the pft, but was curious as to how long you actually have to run on any given day
Old 06-18-2011 | 09:07 PM
Banned

3-6 miles. if you can run 3 miles, you can run 6 miles as you normally run the longer distance at a slower pace. Im not saying dont ever run 6 miles, I am saying that if you are training to run a timed 3 miles, 6 mile runs should not be on the schedule.
Old 06-18-2011 | 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

run for 15 minutes straight. It doesn't matter your pace or the distance you cover. Over a short period of time you will be able to run farther at a faster pace.
Every other day do wind sprints. The combination of the two will have the best results.
When I was running x-c we did indian relays for wind sprints. The last person in line has to sprint to the front and hold pace. They were brutal.
A fun way to get your wind is to play ultimate frisbee.
Old 06-20-2011 | 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
need some advice on increasing overall endurance. ran a mile today but was huffing and puffing and really had to push myself to finish it. haven't really run since high school track and that was 5 years ago, and even then i was a sprinter. i'd like to be able to run at least 5 miles and i understand that its gonna take alot of work and time to achieve this, but was curious if anyone had some pointers on the best way to train. i know theres alot of military in here, i know yall are good at running lol. share your secrets!

Just keep running!! The most important thing is to "STAY RELAXED", i cant stress that enough. Stay relaxed when you run, and control your breathing.

Run with a straight posture. Dont slouch. Dont let your arms cross in front of your chest. Have your arms/hands move up and down AND NOT ACROSS THE BODY!!

Also, i breathe through my mouth and not my nose.. I think its better to breathe through my mouth cuz you are able to get more oxygen. Hope this helps.