Dish Network or COMcast?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dish Network or COMcast?

We have been having alot of issues with comcast lately and have been thinking about changing, but i had heard some bad things about dish.

Anyone have any comments? Good or bad experience? What about channels (for those who have had both) are they both similar in availability? PPV, can you still get it? Hows the reception during storms?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:45 AM
TECH Resident

We has Dish Network in Austin, no issues, save for really bad weather would interrupt the transmission. I could not get dish when I moved to NW houston, too many trees in the yard. I went with ATT Uverse and have been pretty happy so far, no real issues to report. I have never heard anything positive from Comcast subscribers. My sister-in-law just dropped comcast and made the switch to ATT Uverse as well.

Last edited by 03Sssnake; 08-23-2011 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Teching In

dish sucks plan and simple i had them for 4 years and the first time we had a problem we had to call a tech out they didnt show up 3 times no call or anything, then when we wanted to add a room they ran the cable around the room and over a door frame (looked hidious) shortly after that we switched to att havn't had a problem since.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Have you considered AT&T U-Verse?

We have Comcast too and they are average at best. Their entire system is just kind of low budget. Their menu system sucks, picture quality is blah, and the equipment reminds me of 80's technology. Lately, we have been considering switching over to another provider.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:34 AM
On The Tree

Neither! AT&T U-Verse or go home!
Old 08-23-2011, 09:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ATT customer service is the worst I have ever experienced. Comcast sucks too, but not as bad, I just cancelled the TV part of my service with Comcast and downgraded my Internet to the "Economy" 3M for 29.95 a month and I stream or download all my TV shows and Movies and watch them on my TV with Boxee
Old 08-23-2011, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

We've had Dish for years now and the only reception problem we have is during really bad storms with thick cloud cover. We've had some issues with a couple DVRs over the years but gotten them fixed. You could also still get HD for life if they are still offering that promotion. We do.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Banned

Verizion FIOS or bust.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:34 PM
On The Tree

Have not thought about ATT. I heard some bad stuff about them a few months back, but to be honest I can't remember.

I just recently have been having issues with the comcast equipment and then they are giving us the run-around on trying to get a service guy out to fix it. And secondly, our bill is extremely high.... normally around 230/mo. and that is with no premium movie channels. Now we do have 4 HD DVR boxes in the house, but DAMN it is expensive, IMO.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Have you considered AT&T U-Verse?

We have Comcast too and they are average at best. Their entire system is just kind of low budget. Their menu system sucks, picture quality is blah, and the equipment reminds me of 80's technology. Lately, we have been considering switching over to another provider.
This. I have Directv and love it. Great picture quality, and a lot more channels than Comcast.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by niceguyyy01
Have not thought about ATT. I heard some bad stuff about them a few months back, but to be honest I can't remember.

I just recently have been having issues with the comcast equipment and then they are giving us the run-around on trying to get a service guy out to fix it. And secondly, our bill is extremely high.... normally around 230/mo. and that is with no premium movie channels. Now we do have 4 HD DVR boxes in the house, but DAMN it is expensive, IMO.
Wow, $230 a month?? Does that include home phone and internet? Or at least a monthly blow job.
Old 08-23-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy ****, i thought it was bad when I was paying like 130 a month.
Old 08-23-2011, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Charlie Hustle
Wow, $230 a month?? Does that include home phone and internet? Or at least a monthly blow job.
I does include internet, but it still seems high. Unless I do ATT (they do internet too, I think) I'd still have to stay with comcast.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by OneBadZ0Sick
Verizion FIOS or bust.
Not available in Houston, sadly.

Had Comcast. Too expensive for what I was getting.

Had UVerse. Loved the internet service. Loved the DVR and menus. Hated that the signal locked up anytime there was a major sporting event on. Kicked TV to the curb, but kept internet.

Have Dish. Zero issues. Lost signal maybe twice in the over two years I've had it, both during really bad storms. Menus and DVR aren't as nice as UVerse, but I get to watch football without idiotic pauses.

-Mike
Old 08-23-2011, 09:15 PM
Teching In

our bill is extremely high.... normally around 230/mo. and that is with no premium movie channels. Now we do have 4 HD DVR boxes in the house, but DAMN it is expensive, IMO.
Ya, you are not doing something right with comcast. Here is this months breakdown of my bill. It is expensive as hell, but I have every channel, two DVRs, one HD box, and two of those little crap boxes for basic cable; home phone also includes 100 minutes to mexico; and fast internet. I like the store front they have since I like to go switch out my equipment as soon as it acts funny one time. They also give out remotes like candy, funny you never lose a remote if you have three in the same room.

XFINITY Bundled Services 179.99
Additional XFINITY TV Services 28.40
Additional XFINITY Voice Services 17.32
Other Charges & Credits 1.60
Taxes, Surcharges & Fees 26.58
Total New Charges $253.89

I have come to my own conclusion that with entertainment and communication, it is just a matter of picking who you want to screw you. There is no way to win, but everyone thinks that they have; comcast did this, sprint did this for me, verizon did this, att did this for me,,, whatever! I have checked all types of services trying to find better deals, but I have never came any where near saving 100 dollars a month for all of this crap, so what is the point of switching?

So post up if anyone has all the movie channels, home phone, and internet for around 150 so I can do the same. Don't care if it is from three different providers. But it is not worth the switch just to save a few dollars a month, that is when I pick comcast to screw me.

Post up them bills!!!