Headlights on my 2000 Formula

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 07:26 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headlights on my 2000 Formula

My drivers side was working. I pulled my passanger side Headlight motor since it didnt flip up. I checked my Passanger headlight motor on a car battery & spins. So I changed out the plastic gears for Billet gears. I reinstalled the passanger headlight motor & hooked it back up & turned the lights on & only the drivers side motor would run.

So baffled I unplugged the drivers side connector to the headlight & tried turning the lights on to confirm its not the motor & neither headlight flipped up.

So I plug the drivers connector back in & turn the headlights back on & now neither will flip up.

I checked both fuse's under the hood for the Headlight motors. Both are 15 amp fuses & both fuse's look fine.

Im running out of things to check. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:20 AM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Check your connectors aren't corroded. Just one will mess them both up.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:32 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Chuk
Check your connectors aren't corroded. Just one will mess them both up.
I just sprayed that Electric cleaner I use to clean my Mas Air meters & letting the connectors dry out right now.

I found the Firebird headlight thread. Talk about a GM design flaw. This to seems to be the norm for all Firebird owners with these damn headlights.

Where is the Headlight control module located? I read this guy in the thread was having the same prob & it was the Control Module. The board was fried. Just need to fine where its at now
Old 08-24-2011, 08:59 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

OK I think I fixed my problem, Knock on wood. Cleaned the electric connections my passanger headlight flipped up making the dreaded grinding sound for the next 5 seconds after it closed.

Im installing then billet gears. But my plastic piece on the passanger side headlight motor came off again. It just doesnt stay on. I am going to clean off the old glue & try it again.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SEB
OK I think I fixed my problem, Knock on wood. Cleaned the electric connections my passanger headlight flipped up making the dreaded grinding sound for the next 5 seconds after it closed.

Im installing then billet gears. But my plastic piece on the passanger side headlight motor came off again. It just doesnt stay on. I am going to clean off the old glue & try it again.
You are supposed to wait around 24 hours to let that glue dry before you reinstall it, happened to me. The driver side stays on because of the way its installed.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by SEB

Yeah, that happened to me. It's a pain in the *** to keep it on. i ended up going with industrial strength epoxy. Also, my control module was bad too.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:34 AM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NewLS1Owner
Yeah, that happened to me. It's a pain in the *** to keep it on. i ended up going with industrial strength epoxy. Also, my control module was bad too.
These damn headlights OWN ME

My drivers side used to work & would just grind for 10 seconds after it would open. My passanger side wouldnt work at all.

Now my passenger side will spin when I plug it in. But the drivers side wont work at all. Both Headlight motors work cause I hooked them up to my car battery & both spin,

Where is the control module located at & is it a PITA to replace too? Hell working on the motor itself is no where near as bad as trying to fix these Headlight motors!
Old 08-26-2011, 07:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get a camaro front end lol. I think he might be reffering to the BCM
Old 08-26-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check out my thread from a while ago...
Old 08-29-2011, 09:36 AM
FormerVendor

We just repaired Mr. Miller's headlight issue; He had a short in the wiring. Feel free to bring it to the shop and we can repair it for good and trace the real issue.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:07 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TruBloodTransAm
Check out my thread from a while ago...
Thank you so much for your link of your headlight issue.

Also thanks to Sam Miller for the Headlight Alum Repair kit with T-Braces. Both headlights are flipping up now.

Now I have to figure out why 3 out of the 4 headlights are dim. Only one headlight is bright. Of course the car isnt running at the momment. Just running of a battery to open & close the head lights

All I know is these headlights where a nightmare. For some reason the LH headlight motor would only work in the RH location, The RH headlight worked in both locations.

I pulled the motors apart & flipped the gears in the on the LH motor to run in the RH location & flipped the gears over in the RH motor to run in the LH location. I know it sounds confusing. But thats GM for you. Kind of reminds me of my Rattle trap Foxbody. Except its 20 years old vs my Formula is only 11 years old
Old 08-29-2011, 09:10 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AffordableAutoworks
We just repaired Mr. Miller's headlight issue; He had a short in the wiring. Feel free to bring it to the shop and we can repair it for good and trace the real issue.
Thanks for posting up in my thread. Just money is tight & having to do alot of work myself on my cars these days. Everything is so expensive that it doesnt leave much money to spend on my toys