think I've got rats

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KL20
Can't reach the areas to lay traps down. There's only a gap of about 1/4". Poison is a no since I've got a dog. We used to have ferrets but they died.
They gotta come out sometime to eat lay some traps around house.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:51 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Randy_S
Get a live trap and put a little peanut butter on the flapper. Attach a little block cheese to the peanut butter and set tue door opening close to the hole. Once you hear the door snap shut, go fill up a large bucket or ice chest full of water then drop the trap in with the resident inside. I was told to stop because that was cruel but I enjoyed watching them drown after seeing what they did to my A/C ducts!
Damn, you serial killer. Lol.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randy_S
Get a live trap and put a little peanut butter on the flapper. Attach a little block cheese to the peanut butter and set tue door opening close to the hole. Once you hear the door snap shut, go fill up a large bucket or ice chest full of water then drop the trap in with the resident inside. I was told to stop because that was cruel but I enjoyed watching them drown after seeing what they did to my A/C ducts!
lol Thats the best one yet lol
Old 09-10-2011, 10:09 AM
11 Second Club

That is a good one........ wifey would NEVER let me attempt it. She wants me to take them outside. I told her they're gonna come right back in! From what I can tell the haven't made it out from under the cabinets, it's almost like they're stuck. I don't know, I'll be getting inside there at some point today and really find out.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Bring a hand grenade.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
lay mouse traps baited with peanut butter near where you think they are. then take the cap from a bottle of antifreeze or something and fill it with southern comfort and place it next to the trap. 60% of the time, it works every time

believe it or not, some mice/rats are smart enough to get the bait without getting caught in the trap. thats what the so-co is for. couple ounces of that, and they just don't give a ****
LMFAO!
Old 09-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Teching In

call my boy
Old 09-10-2011, 01:03 PM
12 Second Club

if there are multiple holes around the same area. stuff them up with steel wool, and leave one hole open. lay your trap around the hole thats open. are they rats or mice? if they are mice you will need the light pressure traps for them, the heavier ones for rats wont go off. just went through this as well when they cleared some woods around me. they were just the filed mice luckily, and not the giant bastards
Old 09-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Staging Lane

Expanding foam or fire.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Not sure if they're mice or rats, like I said I can't see underneath the cabinets. I've decided to go in guns blazing tomorrow and rip off the baseboards and see how many are really under there. Might take a few M80's with me.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can use rat traps, glue traps for rats, small live traps, or rat poison.
If you use the live trap, kill the rat after you catch it or it'll find its way back in. I'd use a pellet gun vs. drowning.

Since you don't know which, I'd get some glue rat traps or poison. Problem with poison is if they go under and die, you get to smell the bugger.
Cats and several dog breeds are good at rodent control too.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:24 PM
11 Second Club

It's funny cause my dog is always laying/staring at one spot so I think I'll start there. Good thing is it seems they're nocturnal so trying during the day is prob in my favor. I've got glue traps I already sat out, just not sure if they landed glue side up since I've only got a 1" place to slide them through. But at least I can set more out and fix the others.
Old 09-10-2011, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Lay the traps in front of the hole.

You should be able to tell where they're going for food because they'll leave their poo behind. Place a trap there too.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Speaking of pests I decided to clean out my shed today and get rid of stuff that I didn't need anymore. To my surprise there were roaches the size of rats inside even though I thought I had a did a good job of sealing up the whole thing. One thing I can't stand are roaches and rats I will run the other way if I see them lol.

But today was different I needed to go to war with these bastards and take control of my shed again.

Call of Duty style...

This is SPARTA!!!!!...

Some of the enemies. I lined them up next to each other and sprayed them like a firing squad.

I finally took control of my shed again and cleaned it all out and reorganized it. Good luck with the rats those ***** creep me out.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

Damn that ***** funny! My wife would freak the **** out if she saw ONE bug like that! I'll have to post pics of what I find tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

what i did was i had a cat with me and he was trying to figure a way to get to them(i guess cats can smell/hear them) and they were nesting under out dishwasher. So i pulled the whole thing out and when i did they came running out(6 mouse). He insteadly killed two and ate them I managed to corner some down and shoot a pellet into them. He then would see them crawling in pain with a pellet in the back and he would eat them whole. In the end he ended up eating all of the 6 mouse. So my point is make sure you got some back up and close off any exist. Even if its some one elses cat lol
Old 09-11-2011, 12:53 AM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

For me, i thought i had2, but 1 trap worked, the rest, the Decon poison was bad ***. But then i had to find the dead bodies....they stunk pretty bad. 21 total if i remember correct.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:16 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
they stunk pretty bad. 21 total if i remember correct.
Yeah that was always my fear with the poison, if they died in a wall or some thing.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

We had one get into the house last year so i layed some glue traps in places i thought the dogs couldn't get to them... Lets just say its really funny to see a rottweiler walking around the house trying to get glue boards off of his feet. Our other dog (a mix we got from the pound, i have no idea what she is) ended up killing the rat one night.
Old 09-11-2011, 04:57 PM
11 Second Club

Damn if I had 21 pour out I'd scream like a little bitch! LOL!

Well I went and bought new bottom panels, painted and cut them. Began taking off the old ones and found a few holes....... no rodents. Sooooooo, I laid out glue traps and pellet trays and put the new wood over the old since I was afraid to rip them all the way off due to what looked like rotting crossbeams. Guess I'll see if it works or not.