Detail: 911 Turbo....for Powell.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 95greenmaro
thanks a bunch for steering me in the right direction. always enjoy seeing the fruits of your labor
No problem at all. I like to educate people on how to care for their 'investments' so no worries. I'm glad you enjoy them! I love doing this and love staring at the final out come.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive spent the last hour or so on autogeek just reading through everything.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BadCompany VP WS6

Dawn has its place. For instance, it's useful to strip previous wax or sealants to start 'fresh'

Wrong. I have plenty of cars that I take care of on a quarterly basis that stay in great shape that are dailys and are prone to the elements 24/7. This ranges from folks washing it themselves ( I do educate everyone I deal with on how to properly care for their finish) and also the ones who just run it through a quick wash place. While that isn't the best option or idea...it's okay and works. Now it won't stay in 'perfect' condition, but I use quality products that clean and protect the finish. Durability and longevity is something I look for in the products I use and the customers needs and use for their car. You have to in Texas with this sun. There is also the option for Opti-Coat which adds a level of protection that prevents swirling or scratches etc. That's another ball game and cost though.
cool sales pitch mr. vendor
Old 09-20-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 5w20
cool sales pitch mr. vendor
It's not a sales pitch, it's a fact. No need to get upset when you're wrong.

If I wanted to pitch a sale, I'd go cut throat and put all the info there. But I'm not, now run along and troll someone elses thread that's over a week old with your incorrect information.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Come to Houston and do a full detail on my truck.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Junkie

It's not a sales pitch, it's a fact. No need to get upset when you're wrong.

If I wanted to pitch a sale, I'd go cut throat and put all the info there. But I'm not, now run along and troll someone else thread that's over a week old with your incorrect information.
im not wrong. the car will not look like the same, and that car sadly has bad luck with incidents happening. this thread is a sales pitch. u mad
Old 09-20-2011, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There are a lot of detailers in that area that are more than capable of taking care of you. Shoot me a pm if you would like some of their contact info.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

im not wrong. the car will not look like the same, and that car sadly has bad luck with incidents happening. this thread is a sales pitch. u mad
I didn't offer anyone any services in my thread. Seems like reading comprehension and detailing aren't your strongest suites. But trolling on the other hand and speaking in internet lingo like "u mad" seems to be something you're good at. I applaud you.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:40 AM
TECH Junkie

I didn't offer anyone any services in my thread. Seems like reading comprehension and detailing aren't your strongest suites. But trolling on the other hand and speaking in internet lingo like "u mad" seems to be something you're good at. I applaud you.
an english major that starts a sentence with but
Old 09-20-2011, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

an english major that starts a sentence with but
I hope you're joking. If not, you have a lot to learn. Stay in school everyone!
Old 09-20-2011, 11:00 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

You can pay a detailer a couple hundred bucks (ball park figure) to make your car look new again. A lot of people think that it is well worth the money. Some people are not too concerned with their vehicle's appearance and for them the money is not worth it. Everybody has different budgets and values. Don't knock on someone because they are proud of their work.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HTX
You can pay a detailer a couple hundred bucks (ball park figure) to make your car look new again. A lot of people think that it is well worth the money. Some people are not too concerned with their vehicle's appearance and for them the money is not worth it. Everybody has different budgets and values. Don't knock on someone because they are proud of their work.
Thank you very much for posting that! This type of detail ISN'T for everyone if you don't care about the appearance of your car or neglect it. It WILL however, recondition the finish if someone ever wants to make their neglected paint look better.

Let's keep this thread on topic about questions regarding the detail if anyone has any. I don't mind educating folks at all.

Thanks.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

how do i make my car shiney?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Fantastic work.

I have always questioned if you are removing clear coat when you detail a car like this and if so how much..... Maybe I should ask, how many times can you detail/buff a car before you wear through the clear coat and need a respray?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GulfM3
Fantastic work.

I have always questioned if you are removing clear coat when you detail a car like this and if so how much..... Maybe I should ask, how many times can you detail/buff a car before you wear through the clear coat and need a respray?
depends on how many times its been hit with an aggressive compound or wet sanded.

to do it right, you'll use a paint thickness measurer. it will tell you how thick your clear coat is.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GulfM3
Fantastic work.

Thank you.

Anytime you compound the surface heavily or extensively you are removing small amounts of the clear coat to refine the finish.

Originally Posted by TINKRD
depends on how many times its been hit with an aggressive compound or wet sanded.

to do it right, you'll use a paint thickness measurer. it will tell you how thick your clear coat is.
This.

If you can see orange peel, you're most likely good. A safe bet for novice detailers are to use a Dual Action polisher AT MOST to not harm the finish. Even then, be careful with the prodcuts you use and how much cut they have. You can get in a bind quickly. Just inspect the finish before hand to see if you have any 'low' spots or if someone previously has buffed the car they have not burned through the finish. If so...avoid that area completely to avoid further damage.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TINKRD
how do i make my car shiney?
turtle wax and old rags full of oil.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

How long does a detail like that take?
Old 09-20-2011, 04:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast