How big of a Compressor should I buy

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an oilless Campbell Hausfield compressor (35 gal) that I mounted to a tire and put in the attic, plumbed it through the ceiling and wall and it worked pretty well, but was really loud and cycled a lot. It eventually burned up (don't mount it in the attic....) and I got a 60 gallon Husky for free from work. They gave it to me because it wouldn't work, but when I was looking at it I found that the contacts on the startup capacitor corroded so much that they just fell off. I replaced the capacitor ($14) and it has been perfect ever since. I highly recommend the Husky unit from Home Depot. This one lived outside and saw heavy use running laboratory equipment 24/7 for a few years with no maintenance, I replaced the capacitor, changed the oil and have run it for over a year now with no issue. It is 220v but I was able to set up the electrical connection myself so that was not a factor for my installation.

I hope this info helps.

Last edited by slow96z; 09-20-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

what your wallet can afford
Old 09-21-2011, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

all i can say is VERIFY WHAT CIRCUITS YOU HAVE AVAILABLE BEFORE YOU BUY.

i bought a 1.5hp unit on sale at harbor freight.

but i found out every receptacle in my garage is on the same circuit as my living room.

if i have the TV on/cablebox/PC/lights etc etc... the compressor will trip the breaker when it tries to fire up.

i can only run the compressor while i have the front half of my house shut down.
and i can only run it after draining it.

(when it has say ~50psi in it already and you try to fire it up, it puts more load on the motor with 50psi in front of it and the starting current is higher and trips the breaker)

there are only a few 1P-15A breakers in my house, and of course, it the one the entire garage is on....

the compressor needs a minimum of a DEDICATED 1P-15...... so.... just keep that in mind before you spend the money and then haul something home and tear the box to shreds.

im gonna have to get an electrician to pull some #12 wire and change this to a 20A breaker if i want to use this seriously... for now its on tire inflation duty :/
Old 09-21-2011, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dudeiwin86

but i found out every receptacle in my garage is on the same circuit as my living room.

if i have the TV on/cablebox/PC/lights etc etc... the compressor will trip the breaker when it tries to fire up.

i can only run the compressor while i have the front half of my house shut down.

(when it has say ~50psi in it already and you try to fire it up, it puts more load on the motor with 50psi in front of it and the starting current is higher and trips the breaker)

there are only a few 1P-15A breakers in my house, and of course, it the one the entire garage is on....

the compressor needs a minimum of a DEDICATED 1P-15...... so.... just keep that in mind before you spend the money and then haul something home and tear the box to shreds.

im gonna have to get an electrician to pull some #12 wire and change this to a 20A breaker if i want to use this seriously... for now its on tire inflation duty :/
That's jacked!

I plan on setting up my compressor this Saturday.

If I run into a similar issue, I will return it, buy a 220V 60 gallon and have the electrician come out.

Even though I rather not fool with that, I don't want a headache over this.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

I've got the same one that nineball posted except its a 35gal and it works great for everything I need to do. I don't paint or anything but any tools you work with on a car is fine.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dudeiwin86

Where is your breaker box in relation to the garage? It might not be too difficult to pull a dedicated circuit to the compressor off of the panel. Is the house a 1 story or a 2 story? Attached or detached garage? Room for another breaker in the panel?
Old 09-21-2011, 02:01 PM
9 Second Club

I got i believe a 35 gal craftsman oil-less air compressor for sale, just rebuilt the compressor. prolly 1 hr use after the rebuild ill take $200
Old 09-21-2011, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a 35 gallon and when I work on cars it only comes in handy when I need to use the air/blow gun lol

The best tool that I have is a Dewalt 18v cordless impact with a quick disconnect 3/8" socket adapter. I use it for EVERYTHING!
Old 09-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by slow96z
Where is your breaker box in relation to the garage? It might not be too difficult to pull a dedicated circuit to the compressor off of the panel. Is the house a 1 story or a 2 story? Attached or detached garage? Room for another breaker in the panel?
attached garage,
1 story
box isnt that far... on the opposite side of the house, but even straight across it cant be more than 50ft including ups and downs. but its all pretty accessible from the attic if i wanted to run some conduit and a new circuit.

looks like i have a few spaces in the panel too. pissed me off tho, that the panel doesnt have a nameplate on it. probably is more than a 100a panel tho from looking at it. its small. and old. lol. gotta be the same one from back in the 80's when the house was built

i bought the compressor on an impulse buy from harbor freight since it was such a good deal and then found all my problems lol.

ive been wanting to pull a circuit or 2 into the garage, including a 220v for a welder if i ever got a wild hair.

but its all on the back burner since work has been a little slow and im not really workin on projects in the garage anymore like i was when i had more money for "toys".
Old 09-22-2011, 02:16 PM
9 Second Club

when i got my welder i ran a 220 and an extra 110 out to my shop area and i havent had a single problem. i also run my 60 gal speedaire compressor off of the same 220.

Quick Reply: How big of a Compressor should I buy