What do y'all think of the "We are the 99%" protests in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sc300
At least we have the freedom to try to protest and try to make changes....try that **** in some other countries and see what happens!!
Old 10-04-2011, 05:03 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Voters change the government not protesters..

big businesses don't give two ***** about protesters. (For the most part) They only care about their product, their customers, and their money. If you wish to change the business it isonly going to be done by effecting one of those three things.

To change government or big business you must do it from within.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha! If you think you can get into either of those elite groups without being part of the status quo, you must think all it takes to be successful is a high school diploma. You don't walk into a corporation saying "hey make me the CEO so I can change your culture, I think you do business wrong." You'd get cut quick! You change business and Government from the outside. It's much easier to be part of the majority. Want to change a business? Stop purchasing from them. People shut Washington Mutual down with a scare and everyone pulling their money out. Imagine what would happen if people actually lived up to what they said and boycotted a company for its poor practices. Imagine people beginning the process to remove Obama from office for his doubling of the National Debt. We are lazy and need something to **** and moan about. We aren't inspired like Americans of old. We are soft and will take it up the *** because it's easier that way.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:26 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Black, you must have reading comprension problems...

Originally Posted by HTX
big businesses don't give two ***** about protesters. (For the most part) They only care about their product, their customers, and their money. If you wish to change the business it is only going to be done by effecting one of those three things.
Do you not understand where I was going with that?
Old 10-04-2011, 05:36 PM
8 Second Club

Archer is the 1%
Old 10-04-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HTX
Black, you must have reading comprension problems...

Do you not understand where I was going with that?
Somehow, I overlooked the last sentence in your quote.

I know demonstrations and protests work. I've watched it happen.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:13 AM
Launching!

http://www.alternet.org/economy/1526...s/?page=entire
Old 10-05-2011, 03:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Powell
Archer is the 1%

Old 10-07-2011, 12:17 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

So the protests are spreading into multiple cites including houston. But when the media asks people in the crowd why they are protesting they all have different answers. They are not all on the same page and it doesnt appear they have a clue what they are protesting or what they realisticly expect to achieve...

Bunch of people jumping on a band wagon I guess?
Old 10-07-2011, 12:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Lol the protestors in NYC got pwned in the face when the Wall Street bankers all gathered up on a balcony drinking expensive champagne in expensive glasses with hot women toasting the crowd, ******* ********
Old 10-07-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

They all know that Government and Corporations are tearing apart our country. I can tell you that.
Old 10-07-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Junkie

They need to come to an agreed number of points, they all look like morons spouting off things they know nothing about nor all agree on.
If it was me it would be
1. No more Lobbiest, u wanna know what the people want...ask them, you wanna know what a large business wants/needs...ask them, and if your caught taking money or extra's from them your fired and thrown into prison for accepting bribes
2. Term Limits, being a politician shouldn't be a career, it should be a honor to serve your people.
3. Corps should only be taxed more if they move jobs overseas/across borders. only companies who keep people employed in the US should recieve tax breaks.
4. If your company is caught employing Illegals & knowing, the goverment/state should be able to seize all your assets until you can prove in court that you were truly unaware the person or persons where not legal (unless those person had fraudulent papers then those people should be arrested & company left alone unless they provided the paper)
Old 10-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts

I don't see the point of protesting on a general idea. I say create a specific action to support and then go promote that. Then, you can have an real obtainable objective to work toward.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:05 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
1. No more Lobbiest, u wanna know what the people want...ask them, you wanna know what a large business wants/needs...ask them, and if your caught taking money or extra's from them your fired and thrown into prison for accepting bribes
2. Term Limits, being a politician shouldn't be a career, it should be a honor to serve your people.
These are the two most important and powerful points in American government right now. If we can agree on these two new laws, then we can make a real difference and the American government will belong to the people not the elite.

2 - 4 year terms maximum for any politician, then they are done.

No meeting with anyone outside your Washington or home official office. All meetings are recorded and public record. Anyone caught meeting outside these designated areas are to be tried for corruption and possibly treason.

I am all in on these two rules.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:06 PM
12 Second Club

When there's so many things that need to change, how would you put that into a general idea? Some things are more important to those people questioned than others that were questioned, so they'll say why they're protesting. It's not just one thing we need to fix, it's a host of problems.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:07 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Morbid
When there's so many things that need to change, how would you put that into a general idea? Some things are more important to those people questioned than others that were questioned, so they'll say why they're protesting. It's not just one thing we need to fix, it's a host of problems.
If they can't get on the same page with a realistic goal, then they are waisting their time because nothing will get accomplished.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
They need to come to an agreed number of points, they all look like morons spouting off things they know nothing about nor all agree on.
If it was me it would be
3. Corps should only be taxed more if they move jobs overseas/across borders. only companies who keep people employed in the US should recieve tax breaks.
4. If your company is caught employing Illegals & knowing, the goverment/state should be able to seize all your assets until you can prove in court that you were truly unaware the person or persons where not legal (unless those person had fraudulent papers then those people should be arrested & company left alone unless they provided the paper)
I think there's a group that protests these things already, they are called the Tea Party.

But they have been labeled as racist. I guess if you are against having your money taxed and redistributed to those that don't try to contribute to society then you are a racist.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by MurphyTex
I think there's a group that protests these things already, they are called the Tea Party.

But they have been labeled as racist. I guess if you are against having your money taxed and redistributed to those that don't try to contribute to society then you are a racist.
I can't get behind the Tea Party for a couple reasons. First, it seems like there are 5 different versions of the Tea Party with all kinds of people claiming to be the real Tea Party. Then there is the fact that the Republicans are trying to re-invent themselves as the tea party. So, now we have the Tea Party looking more like just another extension of the social conservatives.

So, I think I would much rather support a single initiative live Ravenous suggested rather than get behind any political party who could be supporting a large array of things and agendas that I may or may not want to support.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Well it's hip. Yeah fine it's constitutional right they have. They can go protest as much as they want. However, there are a few things. A huge majority of these people and a very large majority of young people throughout the country are complete idiots. There is no discipline anymore. I see so many smart people going to college and just letting loose and then dropping out. Well guess what they're doing for the rest of their life? I'll give a hint- they deal with french fries a lot. Even still there are those people that end up doing theater and music in college. What happens to them majority of the time? French fries. What about these people? I really wonder what majority of them are engineers, biologists, chemists, doctors, accountants, investors, financial workers, and hell even lawyers (they aren't the worst people either--hell I know a few personally and they are pretty normal)? I'll give you another obvious hint- the number is very low. Now I'm not saying non-college grads are not hard workers. The huge majority of them are. There are just these that generally fit in that category.

So what happens with these people is they are generally the people who like to have fun, but with not very much accountability. So they are pretty "hipster"...at least imho. So they go protest and have no idea what they are protesting for. So it's a rebellion and excuse to have fun. Pure modern day hippies. I would guarantee that most of those people have no idea even how the economy or the problems even work because they refuse to learn it. So they can have their fun, but in the end there will be people like any hard worker and me who will end up running the world because we are the hard workers.

So they are going to protest the banks and big corporations? Do they even know how they work? Yeah I agree that there are is corruption everywhere, but what is gonna happen in the future? Those protestors won't have any sort of changing power. Also you must admit...these CEOs are damn smart. So my hats off to the protestors for getting pepper spray in their faces (that is incredibly stupid of the cops to be doing this, but I would still like to know both sides of the story--also don't **** off cops dumbass) and sleeping in the streets like useless hoodlums, but good luck making a change while I'll be enjoying a nice steady job and life and at least have some more say.
Old 10-09-2011, 12:34 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I can't get behind the Tea Party for a couple reasons. First, it seems like there are 5 different versions of the Tea Party with all kinds of people claiming to be the real Tea Party. Then there is the fact that the Republicans are trying to re-invent themselves as the tea party. So, now we have the Tea Party looking more like just another extension of the social conservatives.

So, I think I would much rather support a single initiative live Ravenous suggested rather than get behind any political party who could be supporting a large array of things and agendas that I may or may not want to support.
Just because you affiliate yourself with an organization doesn't mean you are 100% in concurrence with every policy/statement they make. I started life (voting age 18) as a Democrat but believed in gun rights. I've shifted towards the Republican side as I grew older but still believe in pro-choice. IF you're 100% behind every press conference a 'party' puts out, you're just a follower or statistic.

As for the Tea Party, Nancy Pelosi even tried to band-wagon it early on saying she could relate or something along those lines while talking with her crowd about the astro-turf blah-blah-blah. It's about choice. That Glenn Beck rally in Washington DC... Had zero cleanup afterwards. Anywhere from 300-500K people there and only trampled grass as a sign it happened. How's that trash in NYC for the lefts protestors looking?