What do y'all think of the "We are the 99%" protests in NYC?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011 | 06:57 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Duffster
Just because you affiliate yourself with an organization doesn't mean you are 100% in concurrence with every policy/statement they make. I started life (voting age 18) as a Democrat but believed in gun rights. I've shifted towards the Republican side as I grew older but still believe in pro-choice. IF you're 100% behind every press conference a 'party' puts out, you're just a follower or statistic.

As for the Tea Party, Nancy Pelosi even tried to band-wagon it early on saying she could relate or something along those lines while talking with her crowd about the astro-turf blah-blah-blah. It's about choice. That Glenn Beck rally in Washington DC... Had zero cleanup afterwards. Anywhere from 300-500K people there and only trampled grass as a sign it happened. How's that trash in NYC for the lefts protestors looking?
That is why I don't support partisan political organizations. They are the incarnation of division and the enemy of America. They are also at the root of corruption in this country.
Old 10-09-2011 | 01:21 PM
LS7 Member

I saw the Houston version of these protestors yesterday on Allen pkwy. Mostly older people...
Old 10-10-2011 | 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

Douche bags... The lot of em.

With that being said, I support their right to protest. This is America, a Country I once upon a time strapped on the combat boots for, and everyone has that right... No matter the cause. Id rather hear the kaka they spew than have their voices silenced... Cuz that means mine is next.

I see two sides here and I gotta say, those that say "you arent going to change **** from the inside, so **** it" really **** me off. This Country wasnt founded on those principles. They were built on the belief that if they WORK HARD they could accomplish anything. People say, "well ****, this recession/depression is horrible and people need help." Well guess what, something happened like ths once before and people took whatever job they could to make sure that their family could eat. What happened to that attitude? What happened to the thought process of "I have this degree, or whatever training, but there are no jobs and my family needs to eat... Time to dig ditches." What happened?
Old 10-11-2011 | 01:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DSIM
Douche bags... The lot of em.

With that being said, I support their right to protest. This is America, a Country I once upon a time strapped on the combat boots for, and everyone has that right... No matter the cause. Id rather hear the kaka they spew than have their voices silenced... Cuz that means mine is next.

I see two sides here and I gotta say, those that say "you arent going to change **** from the inside, so **** it" really **** me off. This Country wasnt founded on those principles. They were built on the belief that if they WORK HARD they could accomplish anything. People say, "well ****, this recession/depression is horrible and people need help." Well guess what, something happened like ths once before and people took whatever job they could to make sure that their family could eat. What happened to that attitude? What happened to the thought process of "I have this degree, or whatever training, but there are no jobs and my family needs to eat... Time to dig ditches." What happened?
I agree with everything you just said. Thanks for your service, it is appreciated!!!

The entitlement generation was born is what happened. We have been moving away from Conservative policies since the late 1960's and people have gotten used to it. This whole 99% thing is the result of our Liberal main stream media and the Democrat Party brainwashing simple minded, non common sense people into thinking wealth and success are a bad thing. I wish these people would realize the people they are protesting create the jobs that employ them. Don't bite the hand that feeds you!! Go to Washington DC and protest the ******* that are hindering you with their failed policies are even worse legislation. Go where you might actually have a chance of changing something and where the real corruption is!!!! Just my $.02...
Old 10-11-2011 | 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sc300
At least we have the freedom to try to protest and try to make changes....try that **** in some other countries and see what happens!!
this is true.
however, i did see some video on that cop that pepper sprayed some women who were arguing with cops holding up barriers. that seemed harsh, but it happens a lot at protests as it is part of some procedure to prevent riots.

thing that gets me about this whole deal is it was organized by adbusters (basically canadian anarchists who HATE our free market economy). michael moore then shows up a few times to talk to the crowd and calls our nation a kleptocracy... do these people realize that because of our system, that guy made it out of his mom's basement to make tens of millions off each movie he sells to them?

my sister's drunk boyfriend was trying to get me to go protest locally as this thing is catching on in other major cities. i asked him about what he was protesting.. he was like "i dunno... capitalism?... greed, corruption!" i asked him if he knew who adbusters was and of course he had no idea. i swear these people are like cattle.

i grew up listening to rage against the machine too (even saw them open for tool once), but the little che guevara inside me has half a brain.
Old 10-11-2011 | 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was just going to say how I'm sitting here listening to RATM "Sleep now in the fire" where the music video is where I first heard of this "movement".

Love the band, would love to go to a concert and scream out every lyric, but do I agree or believe in most of the things they stand for?

I think what a lot of these people need to realize is that these "evil" corporations are run by people like you (well maybe not YOU, hipsters) and me.
You know what we're called?

STOCKHOLDERS.

Guess what, you GET THE RIGHT TO VOTE. (AKA CHANGE for you OBAAAAAMA folk.)
Of course that depends on what type of stock you have and the number of shares and so on.

Tell you what, put me in for investment and the right to vote any day over "protesting" like a rebel without a cause.

PS. I'm 20, have long hair, used to skateboard, drive a Camaro with no cats, hang out with people that smoke, and go to college.
Just try and decide which group I belong with.
Old 10-11-2011 | 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I support putting a few igloo filled with gatoraid and a splash of cyanid in the middle of the protests so they can cool off
Old 10-11-2011 | 11:44 AM
On The Tree

well, for all of you that support this rubbish, here you go

and yes, that man ( if you can call him that) is taking a **** on a cop car.

on a side note, i was listening to a radio show and one of the callers recommended renaming the group : The Flea Party, who's constituents would be referred to as Flea-baggers. Thought that was pretty funny
Old 10-11-2011 | 06:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

One fell off a parking garage trying to hang a banner lol!!
Old 10-11-2011 | 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Old 10-11-2011 | 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
One fell off a parking garage trying to hang a banner lol!!
Not liking the cause is one thing, laughing at someones death is another.
Old 10-11-2011 | 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

we discussed this in my government class today..... it might be the start of something.....
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Old 10-11-2011 | 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DSIM
Not liking the cause is one thing, laughing at someones death is another.
It is when you don't follow requirements and you do stupid things for a stupid cause.
Old 10-11-2011 | 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ws6kid.
we discussed this in my government class today..... it might be the start of something.....
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
don't listen to your teacher, kid. these people are far from thoughtful. they may be committed, but to 1001 different things. its just a bunch of wannabe hippies from what i've seen and heard in the videos
Old 10-12-2011 | 09:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
don't listen to your teacher, kid. these people are far from thoughtful. they may be committed, but to 1001 different things. its just a bunch of wannabe hippies from what i've seen and heard in the videos
thats what i said, ha
Old 12-03-2011 | 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Found this and thought it was relevant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAOrT0OcHh0
Old 12-03-2011 | 10:01 PM
On The Tree

bunch of opinions here...
I may be young, 25, but I still don't see the problem with corporations. They keep many of us employed, keep prices low because of volume, and pay taxes.
I went to college and have a BS in Industrial Engineering. I work for a large corporation and in the two years I have been there, I have realized that climbing the corporate ladder is a realistic goal. I grew up on a farm in the middle of nowhere and think I am doing well for myself.

My thoughts:
people will always be jealous of the wealthy
people want wealth without putting in the work
the only way to be poor in this country is to make bad decisions in life
corporations pay the bulk of the taxes so they should have the bigger vote in government.

I am sick of people thinking they are entitled to more than they have. I work my *** off for everything I have. I have a Corvette i paid cash for, I am almost done paying back my school loans and I have a house and 10 acres in Texas that will be paid off in 7 more years, and I'm working on a side business fixing up old tractors and cutting and baling hay on weekends and vacation days. I have found out our government is very helpful for the small business owner.

We are in a recession right now, it's nothing new. People need to get over themselves and suck it up.
I feel sorry for the people that get married and have children before they have their finances in order, they screwed up their own life all by themselves. It's not the government's responsibility to help them or give them a break.

Sorry for rambling, I kind of got off topic there towards the end.
Old 12-03-2011 | 10:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by whitesmokels1
I feel sorry for the people that get married and have children before they have their finances in order, they screwed up their own life all by themselves. It's not the government's responsibility to help them or give them a break.

Sorry for rambling, I kind of got off topic there towards the end.
That's no excuss. I had kids before I got a good job and having a kid is actually what made me change my lifestyle and go get the job.
Old 12-03-2011 | 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Instead of sitting around moping and protesting. These people should at work, putting some hours, or something to keep the flow coming in.
It seems like most of those people protesting have a "it's somebody elses fault" attitude.
I got enough **** going against me as it it, sitting around bullshitting is not gonna fix anything. I learned many skills so I wouldn't rely on just one trade.
Old 12-04-2011 | 01:10 AM
Teching In

http://youtu.be/cJD8pZiRIzs