Chucks tuning...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drago1217
Buddy of mine went to him last week after heads cam full bolt on install on his g8. Let's just say he's already about to make an appointment at g force for a retune. I didn't catch him in time. Do it right the first time
This isnt Wicked G8 is it? I just got done tuning his car after Chuckee Cheese did it.. It was flair shifting 3-4 part throttle, among surging when the converter locks up in 6th.. To top it all off the Mass Air tables were stock above 5000hz and commanding a 12.2 AFR.. Lets just basically say it was a EPIC FAIL! Got done with it and the car didnt even feel the same, no Flairing, AFR right at 12.9 with less timing and it was a beast! Lets just say it looked like he opened the file up and threw some catnip on the keyboard and let the cat go to town lol
Old 10-12-2011, 09:07 AM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -Ross-
The funny thing is, everyone on ls1tech and their brother used to praise that guy and his old shop (HPE) for about 2 years straight.

He must have lost a popularity contest at some point. Maybe he got caught hanging out with a nerd after school or something.
That's because people on ls1tech love band wagons.

On a side note... Pavlock is still in business?
Old 10-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Launching!

The funny thing is, everyone on ls1tech and their brother used to praise that guy and his old shop (HPE) for about 2 years straight.

He must have lost a popularity contest at some point. Maybe he got caught hanging out with a nerd after school or something.
steven and josh left HPE and started LMR, chuck did some shady **** on alot of cars, i think the only reason HPE got a good rep is because they had Josh building pretty much everything over there when him and steven left that shop went down the *******. AND DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON ARD blowing up cars stealin parts sellin name brand aftermarket parts but installing cheap used stock parts the list goes on. Do not take the car to either of these people THEY WILL **** IT UP!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2011, 11:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by strokerblackhawk
steven and josh left HPE and started LMR, chuck did some shady **** on alot of cars, i think the only reason HPE got a good rep is because they had Josh building pretty much everything over there when him and steven left that shop went down the *******. AND DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON ARD blowing up cars stealin parts sellin name brand aftermarket parts but installing cheap used stock parts the list goes on. Do not take the car to either of these people THEY WILL **** IT UP!!!!!!
I don't know anything about any of them, but I do know that most of the Texas section was swinging from Chuck's ***** a few years ago, praising his tuning skills. Now all of a sudden, he can't tune. Maybe he had a brain injury?...or...Maybe everyone was just nut hugging on the bandwagon back in the day? Maybe Josh and Steven were holding his hand back then?

Doesn't matter to me. I just think it's funny.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

Most people dont know what a good tune is lol
Old 10-12-2011, 11:32 AM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

I don't know anything about any of them, but I do know that most of the Texas section was swinging from Chuck's ***** a few years ago, praising his tuning skills. Now all of a sudden, he can't tune. Maybe he had a brain injury?...or...Maybe everyone was just nut hugging on the bandwagon back in the day? Maybe Josh and Steven were holding his hand back then?

Doesn't matter to me. I just think it's funny.
True story. If he started paying sponsorship dues on here he could salvage that rep with all the dick sucking that would follow.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Maybe Josh and Steven were holding his hand back then?

i honestly beleive this is what was going on cause steven and josh now own LMR(we all know how well LMR's doing) and their shop does top notch work with really good support if you need help with ANYTHING....

when i went to HPE i talked to chuck maybe once or twice, he came off as pretty unfriendly and kind of a smart ***, know it all, as where steven answered whatever question i had to throw at him with a smile on his face. i think the only reason that shop made money when they were off of breen in the big shop is because steven is one hell of a salesman that didnt act like a ***** to customers when they came in. LOYALTY also means something to them ive stuck with them and they have met or exceeded any expectations i've had of them. alot of shops just want your money and as soon as your out the door they don't remember your name mush less want to help you if you have problems. LMR's not one of those shops i've seen josh tune on cars they have never really touched just to help a fellow racer out that was having problems. i can say with confidence that i would never let any other shop touch my baby's......
Old 10-13-2011, 11:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Chuck tunes a lot of stuff most shops would turn away pretty quickly, I think that gets him burnt a little bit. If the car is junk and has issues, doesn't matter who is trying to tune it.

...Maybe everyone was just nut hugging on the bandwagon back in the day?
Pretty much the case. Way I see it, most these shops seemed to be slammed with a steady flow of Vettes and 5th gens, if they dabble in blue Oval then 5.0s and the GT500 cars are filling the lifts and company coffers as well. A lot of these 4th gens LS1 F-cars are old, high mile, some I have seen are just hacked up and whored out, but that's also what a good majority of folks on here own, LS1 4th gens. So just like MTI did before Jayson got out of it, I bet it won't be long till they'll start turning away 4th gens and then all of a sudden I bet the consensus on nut huggery changes fairly quick. Why mess with an old *** 100K mile modded car when you have brand new stuff filling up the schedule board. Some of these cars are still nice, but a good majority aren't.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:40 AM
Teching In

Lol ard....
Old 10-13-2011, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xtc4us
Just take it to LMR and call it a good day. Also Auto Adrenaline and Pavlock = winning.
Last time I checked LMR and Gforce won't touch LT1's for tuning. It's getting harder and harder to get an LT1 tuned in Htown unless you have done a 24x conversion. I know everyone has an opinion, but I'll defend Chuck as I've seen some of his tunes and they were spot on when checked at other shops. Great guy and I agree with Neil, that he sometimes get stuck with crap in crap out stigma due to some of the clientel he gets.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Yes, but keep in mind that this thread is originally about a G8, not a 100k mile f body. That being said, I can also agree with Neil to a point
Old 10-13-2011, 03:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
Yes, but keep in mind that this thread is originally about a G8, not a 100k mile f body. That being said, I can also agree with Neil to a point

My comment was about the nut hugging Ross had made, as soon as a big name stops wanting to mess with 4th gens as a whole, I bet the attitude changes really quick. It'll go from those guys are awesome, to those guys are stuck up so screw them, we like XYZ because they will still cater to us.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Launching!

I know what you're saying Neil. My point was that they're saying hey chuck gets a bad rap because he gets a bunch of junk cars in and there's nothing he could have really done with them, and while I'm sure that happens too, what we're talking about here is what basically amounts to a brand new car, and according to Bobby the tune was all jacked up.

Now, as for turning away the 4th gens and such, that pisses me off too. To me that just reflects the ability of a certain shop that they can only turn out good work if they're working on brand new cars, which means that they can't diagnose an actual problem, they're just parts replacers and that's it. It also says that they don't know how to talk to their customers and explain what's actually wrong with their cars causing it not to run right
Old 10-13-2011, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Old 10-13-2011, 06:43 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
I know what you're saying Neil. My point was that they're saying hey chuck gets a bad rap because he gets a bunch of junk cars in and there's nothing he could have really done with them, and while I'm sure that happens too, what we're talking about here is what basically amounts to a brand new car, and according to Bobby the tune was all jacked up.

Now, as for turning away the 4th gens and such, that pisses me off too. To me that just reflects the ability of a certain shop that they can only turn out good work if they're working on brand new cars, which means that they can't diagnose an actual problem, they're just parts replacers and that's it. It also says that they don't know how to talk to their customers and explain what's actually wrong with their cars causing it not to run right

I can't speak for Chuck, but I can speak for probably every competent tuner in the nation here. Nobody wants to tune some clapped out shitbox. It's also gotta be annoying as hell to have someone who doesn't know what a VE table is tell you the tune you did is "fucked up." Most of the 4th gens you see these days are clapped out POS's with owners who can't/won't pay to do things the right way. It's not the cars these shops have issues with. It's the owners.

You get people claiming their tune was "off" when they took it elsewhere, but they don't mention they fixed the exhaust leak that was present when it was initially tuned, the autozone o2 sensors they put in there, the dirty maf, etc. A car needs to be 100% mechanically to expect a good tune.

Truth is most people paying someone to tune their car do not know enough to figure out if it was done right or not. You guys bash Chuck, Owen, and who knows who else. If you don't know how to tune it yourself, how do you know they did it wrong? The guy telling you it was wrong that is about to take your $500 for a re-tune told you?

The truth is there's not much money in tuning a car "right." I'll spend a couple of hours per day for a week or 2 on a fresh setup with mine to get it perfect. I have to touch up that tune in the winter or summer if I want maximum drivability and power at all times. I'm not doing that for $500 unless it is for a friend.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:06 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

Originally Posted by LS1x2
I can't speak for Chuck, but I can speak for probably every competent tuner in the nation here. Nobody wants to tune some clapped out shitbox. It's also gotta be annoying as hell to have someone who doesn't know what a VE table is tell you the tune you did is "fucked up." Most of the 4th gens you see these days are clapped out POS's with owners who can't/won't pay to do things the right way. It's not the cars these shops have issues with. It's the owners.

You get people claiming their tune was "off" when they took it elsewhere, but they don't mention they fixed the exhaust leak that was present when it was initially tuned, the autozone o2 sensors they put in there, the dirty maf, etc. A car needs to be 100% mechanically to expect a good tune.

Truth is most people paying someone to tune their car do not know enough to figure out if it was done right or not. You guys bash Chuck, Owen, and who knows who else. If you don't know how to tune it yourself, how do you know they did it wrong? The guy telling you it was wrong that is about to take your $500 for a re-tune told you?

The truth is there's not much money in tuning a car "right." I'll spend a couple of hours per day for a week or 2 on a fresh setup with mine to get it perfect. I have to touch up that tune in the winter or summer if I want maximum drivability and power at all times. I'm not doing that for $500 unless it is for a friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9kpT...eature=related

lol jk joe
Old 10-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Launching!

I bash Owen because he's a crooked piece of ****. You don't have to be the head cashier at Wal Mart to figure that out ...
Old 10-13-2011, 07:32 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just remember the "S" cam, that helped their sales alot!
Old 10-13-2011, 10:04 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1x2
You guys bash Chuck, Owen, and who knows who else.
Oh man, between the way he acts and the people that have used him, that guy is probably lucky to be in business at all, not to mention, the way they use nitrous, they get results on a 350-450 shot that others get from a 150-250 hit. Pretty funny.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:12 PM
TECH Resident

All I can say is do a search on hp tuners forum for chucks name and read some of his threads.
chuck sucks and I wouldn't let ARD or Owen do ****.

Last edited by bigfatls6; 10-13-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Chucks tuning...