Pulled over today for running yellow light. Let it go or fight it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 5w20
Those are 6 hrs of your life that just got lost and won't ever get back.

The man in uniform stuck it up the op's bung.
I'm pretty sure I'd waist more time than that going to at least 2 court dates and I'd still end up paying the ticket and having my insurance premium increased.

Online defensive driving. Dual monitors ftw.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by rabiddog
A ticket like this would be pointless to fight. If you do fight it the only way that you will be able to win is the cop not show. His word against yours judge will side with the cop. Defensive driving and its off your record and the headache is gone.
Look! It's another person with a brain!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I'm pretty sure I'd waist more time than that going to at least 2 court dates and I'd still end up paying the ticket and having my insurance premium increased.

Online defensive driving. Dual monitors ftw.
So yes, he basically loses in all ways
Old 10-26-2011, 01:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 5w20
So yes, he basically loses in all ways
He's a loser. LOL! J/K

Sounds like the cop was just being a butthole.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

A ticket like this would be pointless to fight. If you do fight it the only way that you will be able to win is the cop not show. His word against yours judge will side with the cop. Defensive driving and its off your record and the headache is gone.
Isn't this technically illegal? A police officer's word should never carry more weight than anyone else in the court room. This is usually stated to a jury prior to any testimony given by a police officer. It is the officer's duty to provide evidence that a crime was committed. "Because I said so" doesn't seem to hold up too well.

Case in point...Years ago my parents were in the local Corvette club and were participating in a cruise night (essentially driving around the city and hitting up a local restaurant). One of the members "accelerated aggressively" (the cops words) from a red light and a police officer cited her. She took it to court. The judge asked if there was any tire smoke. The cop replies "no". The judge asked if the tires left marks on the roadway. The cop replies "no". The judge asked if the tires squealled as she pulled away. Again the cop replies "no". The judge then threw out the case and the cop.

If I were the OP, I'd fight it. I'd bet that the cop doesn't even show up since this "judgement call" seems a bit on the gray side.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

A yellow light for me is sound off the train horns, and set the engine brakes to max It's basically a point of no return. Your chances might look good, about 80-20. I'd suggest you contest it. Most Judges are fair.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:48 PM
On The Tree

I would read the law verbatim and if you were within the boundaries of the law fight it, it's so simple to crumble over and not fight, and some may call you a fool for "fighting" it but if you read the law, and you were within the confines of it, I say fight it, by not fighting stuff like this all we do is empower power hungry people like this officer might be, would we rather him think it's ok to keep an eye out for stuff like this? Or realize this is stupid and there are "real" crimes going on out there.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few guys have already said this but I'd like to state it again. Legally...if you are in the intersection at any point in which the light is yellow...even if it turns red while you're in the middle...if you were in the intersection while the light was yellow it is legal. I personally asked a Ft. Worth police captain when I was in college and he said as long as you're in the intersection at any point where the light is yellow it's legal. If you get a ticket for it don't stand and just pay it. But then again I hate to lose when I know I'm right. There's no way I'd pay that fine. I'd rather spend that money figthing it, no question. But ultimately it's up to you. Good luck.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Look! It's another person with a brain!
I wouldn't go that far Ross.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stingrayj
Isn't this technically illegal? A police officer's word should never carry more weight than anyone else in the court room. This is usually stated to a jury prior to any testimony given by a police officer. It is the officer's duty to provide evidence that a crime was committed. "Because I said so" doesn't seem to hold up too well.

Case in point...Years ago my parents were in the local Corvette club and were participating in a cruise night (essentially driving around the city and hitting up a local restaurant). One of the members "accelerated aggressively" (the cops words) from a red light and a police officer cited her. She took it to court. The judge asked if there was any tire smoke. The cop replies "no". The judge asked if the tires left marks on the roadway. The cop replies "no". The judge asked if the tires squealled as she pulled away. Again the cop replies "no". The judge then threw out the case and the cop.

If I were the OP, I'd fight it. I'd bet that the cop doesn't even show up since this "judgement call" seems a bit on the gray side.
I am not saying that it is impossible to not win the case but the time and money that you are going to have in it to win it is going to be way more of a headache than just going to a DD class.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Launching!

Yeah but if you take DD, then you've essentially used up your get out of jail free card, and that's what they're banking on. Besides that, I agree with what's posted above in that its the principle of the matter and standing up for yourself and what's right
Old 10-27-2011, 09:45 AM
Launching!

The irony of this is that if there was a red light camera at that intersection, you wouldn't have gotten a ticket at all
Old 10-27-2011, 10:03 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
The irony of this is that if there was a red light camera at that intersection, you wouldn't have gotten a ticket at all
Many intersections that don't have red light camera's are recorded. I learned that when a guy ran a red light and hit me. The cops walked saw the camera, played the footage and that was it. The other guy kept insisting his light was green. He finally admitted he was too busy playing with his phone and never even saw that there was a traffic light at all.

You might want to see if they record the traffic at that intersection and request the film if you can.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah but if you take DD, then you've essentially used up your get out of jail free card, and that's what they're banking on. Besides that, I agree with what's posted above in that its the principle of the matter and standing up for yourself and what's right
A moving violation is a moving violation. Use DD when you can then be careful for a year.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Launching!

That's just it though, why use it up and not be able to have it for just in case for the rest of the year when you weren't in the wrong in the first place? I see what you're saying if you knew for a fact that you were going to lose before you even bothered, but I think he could win
Old 10-27-2011, 12:20 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

If it was me and it happened exactly how you say it did then I would fight it. Even if you tale DD you still have to go to court and waist time. Ultimately the decision is yours.

BTW you guys are talking and focussing on the legality of the yellow light. You should be focussing on the legality of the red light. If your car has not yet cleared the intersection when the light turns red the n you have violated the law. Where your car is located during the yellow light is completely irrelevant... so...
Old 10-27-2011, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98LSI
I would read the law verbatim and if you were within the boundaries of the law fight it, it's so simple to crumble over and not fight, and some may call you a fool for "fighting" it but if you read the law, and you were within the confines of it, I say fight it, by not fighting stuff like this all we do is empower power hungry people like this officer might be, would we rather him think it's ok to keep an eye out for stuff like this? Or realize this is stupid and there are "real" crimes going on out there.
Winner!!!
Old 10-27-2011, 12:57 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

1 thing that I hate hearing about isthe how traffic cops are wasting your time because they're not protecting from real crime. You guys should educate yourselves a little more. In Texas, over 40%the of all warrants are picked up from routine traffic stops. Also in Harris county alone thousands of arrests are made every year from contraband being discovered during routine traffic stops as well. Try to have a little more respect for those officers whom are assigned to traffic because they are believe it or not keeping the general public safer.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

That's just it though, why use it up and not be able to have it for just in case for the rest of the year when you weren't in the wrong in the first place? I see what you're saying if you knew for a fact that you were going to lose before you even bothered, but I think he could win
For those of you that tend to get multiple tickets throughout the year here.

After you use your DD get out of jail free card.

Use your second get out of jail free card called Deferred Ajudication.

The only problem is that if you are such a wreckless and bad driver to where you get a lot of tickets this is a bad option for you. Due to if you get a ticket within the 6 months you are on deferred both will go onto your record.

But like I said if you are getting that many tickets then you need to re-think your driving habits a little anyways. Atleast check your mirrors and make sure there isn't a cop around before doing something stupid.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:36 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

For those of you that tend to get multiple tickets throughout the year here.

After you use your DD get out of jail free card.

Use your second get out of jail free card called Deferred Ajudication.

The only problem is that if you are such a wreckless and bad driver to where you get a lot of tickets this is a bad option for you. Due to if you get a ticket within the 6 months you are on deferred both will go onto your record.

But like I said if you are getting that many tickets then you need to re-think your driving habits a little anyways. Atleast check your mirrors and make sure there isn't a cop around before doing something stupid.
Most judges in Houston have done away with differed.

Quick Reply: Pulled over today for running yellow light. Let it go or fight it?