Pulled over today for running yellow light. Let it go or fight it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Try not to go through "close-call" yellow lights and slow down a little. Problem solved.

If you try to fight this, I can tell you exactly what will happen.

You'll end up wasting time, getting pissed off and paying a court fee and the citation fee. Good luck going into court with a "It was too late to brake" defense. The cop will simply say, "it's my opinion (based on X years of experience) the defendent could have stopped, but chose not to". The judge will nod his/her head and it will be official. You'll be paying money. It's that simple. Then, you can forget taking defensive driving for a year and look forward to a higher insurance payment.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

his explanation is crap, so i'd fight it. as long as you're in the intersection as marked by the white line before the light turns red, you're good. if you fight it and he shows up, what he said probably wouldn't stand up so either you'll get it deferred or he'll change his story. the only time they can really ding you is if you floor it through a yellow, but that would be a speeding ticket
Old 10-27-2011, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I'd just take defensive driving and go on living my life.
You can only take that course a certain number of times. I'd save it for something worse. You should fight it. A yellow signal light means “CAUTION.” The red signal is about to appear. When you see the yellow light, stop if you can do so safely. If you can’t stop safely, enter the intersection cautiously. I used to live in Texas BTW.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HTX
Most judges in Houston have done away with differed.
when did this start happening?

Last ticket I got was three years ago in Pasadena, for speeding 10mph over posted. I didn't even have to show up to defer it, just sign the ticket and mail in the check. In all honesty it felt like I got an electric bill more than a ticket.

A family member got a ticket in Houston four months ago, it was the same procedure, just mail it in and keep your nose clean for 6 months.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try not to go through "close-call" yellow lights and slow down a little. Problem solved.
I drove like that before I moved to Houston. Since I moved here I have been rear ended 3 times stopping for yellow / red lights because the person behind me thought I should go and floored it. Twice they were uninsured illegals. I no longer stop for yellow lights unless I am certain they will be red when I get to the intersection.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:53 PM
HTX
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GulfM3
when did this start happening?

Last ticket I got was three years ago in Pasadena, for speeding 10mph over posted. I didn't even have to show up to defer it, just sign the ticket and mail in the check. In all honesty it felt like I got an electric bill more than a ticket.

A family member got a ticket in Houston four months ago, it was the same procedure, just mail it in and keep your nose clean for 6 months.
When I got a ticket in oak ridge that's what the judge told me. "There's no suck thing as differed adjudication". The two years ago in HCSO precinct 4 the clerk said yo do differed I would have to take defensive driving PLUS pay $200 court fee PLUS pay fine.... so it is twice as expensive as just taking DD.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you try to fight this, I can tell you exactly what will happen.

You'll end up wasting time, getting pissed off and paying a court fee and the citation fee. Good luck going into court with a "It was too late to brake" defense. The cop will simply say, "it's my opinion (based on X years of experience) the defendent could have stopped, but chose not to". The judge will nod his/her head and it will be official. You'll be paying money. It's that simple. Then, you can forget taking defensive driving for a year and look forward to a higher insurance payment.
That is what I call the point of no return. Granted we are seeing things from different point of views. If the judge sides with the cop based on his experience, then there is a shitload of corruption going through the court system. Experience does not mean he's the shaman of the law. Our transportation code changes every year... Bottom line OP its your call. Personally I'd contest. There is a certain etiquette that one must keep when presented up to a judge. The first and most important one is to keep your cool, getting pissed off means that you want it your way. Most tickets (DOT) I have gotten, I've contest and won. I've made inspectors look like fools in front of the judge.(and yes some said they been inspecting for X amount of years) Hell It got to a point that I am no longer welcomed at the San Antonio Court LOL (they just reduce the fines and let me go on my way)
Old 10-27-2011, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by svg210
That is what I call the point of no return. Granted we are seeing things from different point of views. If the judge sides with the cop based on his experience, then there is a shitload of corruption going through the court system. Experience does not mean he's the shaman of the law. Our transportation code changes every year... Bottom line OP its your call. Personally I'd contest. There is a certain etiquette that one must keep when presented up to a judge. The first and most important one is to keep your cool, getting pissed off means that you want it your way. Most tickets (DOT) I have gotten, I've contest and won. I've made inspectors look like fools in front of the judge.(and yes some said they been inspecting for X amount of years) Hell It got to a point that I am no longer welcomed at the San Antonio Court LOL (they just reduce the fines and let me go on my way)
A peace officers word is more valid and believable than a civilian’s word and that is just how it is. Unless the officer has been recorded and proven to of lied in the past they are going to side with him. The only way to really win this one going to court is for the officer not to show. In this case all the cop has to say is he wasn't past the line when the light was red. The case is over at that point.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by svg210
Look, its someone else with a spine!
Old 10-28-2011, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CHADsterss
Yellow light = WOT
Old 10-28-2011, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I really want the OP to challenge this now, so he can update the thread letting us all know he was found guilty and ordered to pay the original fine plus court fees. No offense to the OP.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rabiddog
A peace officers word is more valid and believable than a civilian’s word and that is just how it is. Unless the officer has been recorded and proven to of lied in the past they are going to side with him. The only way to really win this one going to court is for the officer not to show. In this case all the cop has to say is he wasn't past the line when the light was red. The case is over at that point.
Originally Posted by rooster99ss
Look, its someone else with a spine!
I really want the OP to challenge this now, so he can update the thread letting us all know he was found guilty and ordered to pay the original fine plus court fees. No offense to the OP.

Maaan, You guys give up too easily! where is your hardcore Texan spirit? granted us CDL'er are not offered defensive driving... Either way we get to pay the fine, so might as well try.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Why did you quote me? I was agreeing with you more or less
Old 10-28-2011, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

LOL sorry rooster, I can barely work a calculator let alone sort through the posts.

Quick Reply: Pulled over today for running yellow light. Let it go or fight it?