Good news, the GEN V smallblock will have the traditional 4.4 inch bore spacing

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 08:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good news, the GEN V smallblock will have the traditional 4.4 inch bore spacing

http://media.gm.com/content/autoshow...1129_100M_GenV

Man, that's a huge sigh of relief. I thought that GM was going to make the GEN V compact to the max to save weight and space. Let's hope there is enough cylinder to stroke the hell out of that block. I'm so pumped up about this engine. When GM invests 1 billion dollars in a V8, you know you're going to get something good.

Confirmed facts so far:
DI
4.4in bore spacing
revised camshaft location, higher up on the block for more rpms
VVT
AFM
new head design, whatever that means
Old 12-02-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Direct Injection makes me worry. Apparently, DI VW guys are having issues with PCV gasses collecting and forming a sludge on the intake valves because with DI the fuel doesn't "wash" over the intake valve and clean it. Hopefully the GM will incorporate a catch can of some sort. Also, I bet upgrading to larger injectors is going to be $$$$. But who knows, I'm just guessing at this point.

I do like the idea of a small block revving to say, 8k rpm's? in factory form!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm so pumped for this. I read an article a while ago where they made a 5.5L DI for a Corvette and it had a lot of power.

This new engine in a smaller and lighter Camaro? oh yes.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GulfM3
The Direct Injection makes me worry. Apparently, DI VW guys are having issues with PCV gasses collecting and forming a sludge on the intake valves because with DI the fuel doesn't "wash" over the intake valve and clean it. Hopefully the GM will incorporate a catch can of some sort. Also, I bet upgrading to larger injectors is going to be $$$$. But who knows, I'm just guessing at this point.

I do like the idea of a small block revving to say, 8k rpm's? in factory form!
I think GM learned a lot about the durability of DI technology from their DI 3.6. Upgrading DI injectors will be super expensive. Hopefully, they will be priced similar or less than diesel injectors.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

This is comparing the new R07 engine to the old SB2.2 engine. I strongly believe that the GEN V will look very similar to the R07 block on the bottom. In case you don't know, GM's NASCAR R07 hasn't lost a championship yet.