Can someone give me some insight on Houston? (Possibly moving from Florida)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 12:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to pay one and it sucks, and like I said my school tax is higher then my house tax. My bad was using the wrong word. just my mud and school is 2.75 not even counting my house
Old 12-10-2011, 12:08 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BigB02Z28
Thanks for the responses guys! We're getting pretty excited.

I checked the public records for taxes on a few houses, my friends for example. The appraisal was 174k and he paid just over 5k in taxes. Thats around $425 a month, we're wanting to keep payments below 1k taxes/insurance/mortgage all together. Taxes are definitely higher than here, we were hoping for a much nicer house, but we'll settle for now!

Can someone enlighten me a little further about passing the emissions (PM if needed). I do not have the headers/ORY installed. I have the parts, but I talked to a friend and he knows someone that maybe can buy them for close to what I have in it. Then I could purchase the AIR/EGR Style headers and Catted Y.

I do not plan on living in TX Forever, as I'm sure we would probably venture back to FL in 5 years when we have children to be closer to family. And of course, I rather not have Cats, nor pay for the extra amount now anyways.

Also, what are the tint laws? I was planning on tinting my windows this month and was going to be illegal even with our standards, but I've never had trouble in the past.
as long as you don't have any CEL's and you have your car to have the O2's say they are ready you will pass.

There isn't a "sniff test"
Old 12-10-2011, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Bunker Hill, Hunter's Creek, Hillshire Village and Spring Valley are really nice parts of town. It's often referred to as "The Memorial Area". Zip codes are 77055 and77024. There are lots of straight up mansions in the Memorial Area, but some affordable places, too.

My parents live in Spring Valley, and I grew up there. There is a village police and fire department and they are STRICT, which sounds like a bad thing, unless you live there. They definitely watch out for their own. Just north of Spring Valley gets a little dicey, but like I said, the local police department is on the ball.

My wife and I are likely going to be moving to Katy in the next year or so. Pearland (where we live now) is OK, but there are lots of foreclosures in the area, and some of the people moving into these homes are sketchy. Now that we have a kid to worry about, we're focused on moving to an area where the schools are good, and Katy fits that bill nicely.

Your wife will be in high demand. Houston has one of the premier medical centers in the US, and there is ALWAYS demand for more nurses. Texas Children's Hospital has a huge facility near downtown, and the care is second to none.

-Mike
Thanks for the zip codes! It'll help narrow down searches on homes.com -- I couldn't enter the neighborhoods manually and searching Houston, TX was putting houses all over. My wife likes the idea of strict police, I personally have a vendetta with police, but thats beyond the point.

We're still planning on taking a trip in June to check out Houston.

A couple buddies of mine laughed at me when I said Houston, I asked why? They just said "If you don't have any low 10 second slips by time you get there, Don't try running anyone" haha. I'm assuming u guys have a lot of "fast" street cars roaming.

Originally Posted by Domsz06
as long as you don't have any CEL's and you have your car to have the O2's say they are ready you will pass.

There isn't a "sniff test"
That's good to hear then. I wasn't going to tune atm, but I might as well before I head out. Get everything deleted and tuned and be ready to go.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Staging Lane

On taxes you have too look at everything. Yes property taxes may seem high but there is no state income tax and car registration on my 98 formula and 2001 bullitt is only $53 each a year. Coming from Cali it was nice not paying 300+ a year on car registration per vehicle. Sounds bad but my parent only pay under $2000 in cali on property we pay over $5000 and our house value is half of theirs. My conclusion on taxes is they get it one way or another. But our house is almost twice the size and cost half as much as theirs. Jobs pay better...a lot better.

We live in pearland but it's not what it was just 5 years ago. We are moving to the woodlands.

Also use har.com to search for houses. Need any help I work for one of the premier real estate firms intown. Marthaturner.com yes most of what we deal with are mil+ properties but we do everything and a lot in the above mentioned areas.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Launching!

you may hit up joesperformance...

...he's been out there a while & know a lot ppl + the lay of the land. he's also an officer on fbn too & all around nice guy.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:28 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the zip codes! It'll help narrow down searches on homes.com -- I couldn't enter the neighborhoods manually and searching Houston, TX was putting houses all over. My wife likes the idea of strict police, I personally have a vendetta with police, but thats beyond the point.

We're still planning on taking a trip in June to check out Houston.

A couple buddies of mine laughed at me when I said Houston, I asked why? They just said "If you don't have any low 10 second slips by time you get there, Don't try running anyone" haha. I'm assuming u guys have a lot of "fast" street cars roaming.

That's good to hear then. I wasn't going to tune atm, but I might as well before I head out. Get everything deleted and tuned and be ready to go.
If you get a dick head inspector that actually looks under your car you will get failed if you don't have any cats, but most of them just plug you in, check for the ready status and then make sure your headlights work.

Its easy really. Plenty of places to go. Everyone on this site has a inspector they go to... just gotta find yours we can all help if you need one.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:40 AM
On The Tree

Been looking on Homes.com and Realtor.com

HAR.com couldn't find a house cheaper than 300k on 1 area code, and 1.2 mill on the other! (Those 2 listed above)

Not sure if we can afford to live in that area! Well, actually, I am sure we can't live in that area! haha.

Much more affordable in 77036, 77074, 77081, etc.

Wanted to post again saying I appreciate the help!
Old 12-13-2011, 06:24 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2nd on HAR.com- made our search much easier. Be sure to check the actual school you are zoned to- we lived in Cy Fair which is s great district but the school we were zoned to had over 50% 'economically disadvantaged' kids in it. Didn't expect many high quality teachers would be there so we moved to Spring. Almost the woodlands but 1/2 cost.

Yes- memorial area is very nice but very expensive.

We are very happy in the Spring/Klein area. 77379 north of 1960. Affordable houses, few foreclosures (depending on neighborhood) and stable area.

Oh yea... Lots of fast cars here. My bolt on Firehawk is a joke compared to some of the monsters that are built here.

On the other side of the coin you will see some of the fastest cars in the country which is pretty cool.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:54 AM
TECH Regular

My parents house is for sale http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...620?source=web
Old 12-13-2011, 07:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

HAR.com couldn't find a house cheaper than 300k on 1 area code, and 1.2 mill on the other! (Those 2 listed above)

Not sure if we can afford to live in that area! Well, actually, I am sure we can't live in that area! haha.

On har.com, you can use the map search. When you see a house you like, click on "map it". In the map window, there is a search function on the left. You can set your max price, minimum rooms, min sq/ft, etc. Scroll around the map to see the houses for sale within your criteria. I like using the map search, so I can easily avoid the areas I know suck. haha.

http://www.har.com/MapSearch/default...adid=6&sType=0
Old 12-13-2011, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will find a ton more deals just driving around, most homes don't pop up online.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful with 77036. I work in that area. There are some nice older homes in some areas. Also ALOT of low income apartments. If you find something online, post it up and we can help steer you.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
You will find a ton more deals just driving around, most homes don't pop up online.

Every single listed house in the greater Houston area is online at www.har.com.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by -Ross-

Every single listed house in the greater Houston area is online at www.har.com.
Almost true. We have about 20 so homes that are not in mls. But of course these are multi million dollar homes that for one reason or another our clients do not wish to be listed on mls(har.com) and I know our competitors have non-mls listings also but I don't think this is what's he is looking for

Maybe if you could tell us how much you are willing to spend we could suggest areas?
Old 12-14-2011, 07:45 PM
formerly 1BADC10 (12/14/2011)

In the process of relocating to League City area now! Hoping to close on new house in South Shore area (Clear Creek ISD) on the 19th.

FIRST THINGS FIRST... There's a LONG list of stuff that you'll want to make sure you have for your lender (if financing). GET STARTED NOW!!! Be prepared to fork over practically your life's banking, credit, an employment history. The housing market isn't what it used to be 2 years ago, and the feds require banks to strip a crap load more of info from you.

With that out of the way.... HAR.COM is the best realty site you can use! By far, this site has nearly every listing in the Houston (and surrounding) area. Go the advanced search route, and you'll be fine. My wife wanted to be in the CCISD area for schools for the kids. I'm not used to the smaller lots, but don't be discouraged. There are larger lots than the 6000 (total) sqft ones. More house for the money, but yard space is minimum (unless in Friendswood or something like that). Careful in certain areas of Harris County, as there's been a rash of car thefts/jackings this past month. I'm in Galveston County. It's nice here, and I hear it's nice (and cheaper) on the Northeast side of 610 loop. Woodlands area is nice too. I like the coast because it reminds me of home (South La).

Anyway... process that. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Can someone give me some insight on Houston? (Possibly moving from Florida)