Looking for a career change

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012 | 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

What everyone else is saying, stay in school, your not making the best money now but it's good that they work with your schedule and all and it will pay off in the long run if you stick it out. How much longer do you have left?

Like stated earlier do no go hunting for a job that makes good money and consider dropping school. I did that and wish I would have stayed in school. You get accustomed to the new income and build your expenses off of it then its hard to go back to school.

Ps sell me your chevelle
Old 01-09-2012 | 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would've killed someone to make $14/hr at 18 years old.
Old 01-09-2012 | 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was once in your shoes. I chose to hussle hard in my career path (QA/QC, Inspection, Project Coordination) I started at age 17. Now 30 years old make $100k working 40hrs a week and have zero college. I have advanced myself with training classes & certifications I paid for myself.

Now I want to go into management so I plan to start some hrs. Plan to take a PMP Test next year.

Chose wise it can pay off. My main drive was money and haters saying I was never gonna amount to nothing when I was growing up. Proved them wrong lol

Hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2012 | 06:33 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I hated college, and I also worked in restaurants during college. Do NOT quit college, unless you simply can't keep your grades up enough to finish. You may think your situation now is undesirable and want a change, but just suck it up and finish that degree.

Now that I've got the degree and the big paycheck, I still miss working at restaurants. Those were some of the most fun years of my life, regardless of pay.

It is okay to aspire working on rigs or offshore. Just do it as a degreed position, if you want to see real paychecks that never end.
Old 01-09-2012 | 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Yup, earlier today I ran into a former member on here at the local dry cleaners. He told me get a degree and start working as an engineer at the fields where the big money is made! Thanks everyone for your help! I am just going to suck it up and endure hell for the next couple years and get a good paying job!!!
Old 01-09-2012 | 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

You could finish school and then apply for work in the fields or on a rig. I would think that you could get extra $$ for having a medical background. Never know what might come up in the middle of nowhere, and having someone trained in life saving would be worth paying for in the eyes of an employer.

Or get your BSN and apply for an officer program in the Army, Navy or Air Force. Good pay and benefits there, and they are always looking for medical officers.
Old 01-09-2012 | 06:56 PM
TECH Junkie

You could finish school and then apply for work in the fields or on a rig. I would think that you could get extra $$ for having a medical background. Never know what might come up in the middle of nowhere, and having someone trained in life saving would be worth paying for in the eyes of an employer.

Or get your BSN and apply for an officer program in the Army, Navy or Air Force. Good pay and benefits there, and they are always looking for medical officers.
Old 01-10-2012 | 11:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by kingd_202
Yup, earlier today I ran into a former member on here at the local dry cleaners. He told me get a degree and start working as an engineer at the fields where the big money is made! Thanks everyone for your help! I am just going to suck it up and endure hell for the next couple years and get a good paying job!!!
Good to hear man. Seriously uplifts me a little bit to hear ya say that. Please follow through on it, get a degree, and go make bank.