Anyone familiar with this issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 06:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone familiar with this issue?

So here is the story guys I have been noticing my oil gauge gradually move to zero from the middle(40) on my TA then as I drive it go to zero and the car won't run anymore I turn it on and the idle is super rough and the check gauges lights turns on and the oil is bounces up and down on zero then when I apply the breaks to put it in drive it turns off. I then let it sit for a couple hours and when I turn it on its fine and then as I drive the problem repeats. I checked my oil and I have plenty and after an oil change it still does it.
Any idea on what can be the problem??:bang
Old 01-25-2012, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WS Quick
So here is the story guys I have been noticing my oil gauge gradually move to zero from the middle(40) on my TA then as I drive it go to zero and the car won't run anymore I turn it on and the idle is super rough and the check gauges lights turns on and the oil is bounces up and down on zero then when I apply the breaks to put it in drive it turns off. I then let it sit for a couple hours and when I turn it on its fine and then as I drive the problem repeats. I checked my oil and I have plenty and after an oil change it still does it.
Any idea on what can be the problem??:bang
Just keep driving it and pray that it gets better.

Just a guess if you still have oil and no pressure it would be a oil pump issue.

If you keep driving it you are going to lock that SOB up if you haven't already done major damage.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Yea I hope its not too bad but I can't stop driving it my TA takes me everywhere dnt have another ride
Old 01-25-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Take it to a shop, get a rental..
Old 01-25-2012, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah sounds like it seizes and then after it cools off the engine contracts and is no longer seized
Old 01-25-2012, 10:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rabiddog
Just a guess if you still have oil and no pressure it would be a oil pump issue.
^ ^ this. had a similar problem with mine last year. Noticed the pressure was fine on start up then as I drove it would drop. Replaced the sensor and the oil pump. Problem solved.
Old 01-26-2012, 12:15 AM
Teching In

^^around how much did that cost u?
Old 01-26-2012, 02:06 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To remove and replace an oil pump a typical shop will charge you $800 in labor.

Stop driving it immediately. You have probably already done some real damage. If that motor locks you're looking at spending 3 grand minimum
Old 01-26-2012, 06:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
To remove and replace an oil pump a typical shop will charge you $800 in labor.

Stop driving it immediately. You have probably already done some real damage. If that motor locks you're looking at spending 3 grand minimum
Cheaper to do it now, your going to have to park the car either way.
Old 01-26-2012, 06:58 AM
On The Tree

Yea I hope its not too bad but I can't stop driving it my TA takes me everywhere dnt have another ride
Let’s go through a little bit of the basics on how a engine works. The oil in your car doesn't just sit in the pan it has a "oil pump". This so called "oil pump" thingy pumps oil through your motor. The reasoning in the "oil pump" pumping oil throughout the motor is to lubricate and cool the moving parts. If you don’t pump oil through the motor then some parts won’t have any oil on them or the same oil will sit in the same spot and get really really hot. When the moving parts get really hot they get really broken. Your engine will actually lock up and will not run no mo.

Now let’s go over the math on this.

more parts and labor to fix = costs more money

so called "oil pump" labor and cost = cheap as hell for the situation you’re in.

I would say start walking, get a bicycle, ride the bus, or rent a car. It really doesn't matter but be sure you don’t drive your car.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd bet your bearings are toast since you kept driving like that. You can fix it now and drive the car to a shop, or have your engine seize or throw a rod and have to pay for a tow.
I'd buy a complete used engine (6.0 time!), a long block, or short block. It should only take a day or 2 for a shop to swap it out. A rebuild is a slow process. I wouldn't just slap a pump in because there is probably other damage at this point. You may drop $800 to change the pump and spin a bearing or throw a rod a month later. It'll cost more to drop the engine, but you're better off having the bearings checked.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 01-26-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
I'd bet your bearings are toast since you kept driving like that. You can fix it now and drive the car to a shop, or have your engine seize or throw a rod and have to pay for a tow.
I'd buy a complete used engine (6.0 time!), a long block, or short block. It should only take a day or 2 for a shop to swap it out. A rebuild is a slow process. I wouldn't just slap a pump in because there is probably other damage at this point. You may drop $800 to change the pump and spin a bearing or throw a rod a month later. It'll cost more to drop the engine, but you're better off having the bearings checked.

I agree with this if you can afford it.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Staging Lane

^^around how much did that cost u?
Melling oil pump was around $150, plus oil pressure switch was between 40 to 60 bucks, can't remember. I bought the parts myself and took it to my mechanic who charged me $150. Worth it if you ask me. I had no time to do it myself having to work and all.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Seriously?
Old 01-26-2012, 09:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rabiddog
I agree with this if you can afford it.
Even more reason to do it right the first time. It would suck to pay $800 only to lose the engine anyway and have to pay for $1500 for R&R and how ever much you can find a running or rebuilt engine for on top of the $800 worth of labor you just lost. Unless you just like to gamble.
Honestly though, a cam change is about $500 and they can swap oil pumps then so I'd actually say a pump swap should be around $650 with pump. Less if you run a stock repalcement. $800 is a bit steep.

A cheap daily driver may be the best move though.

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 01-26-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Even more reason to do it right the first time. It would suck to pay $800 only to lose the engine anyway and have to pay for $1500 for R&R and how ever much you can find a running or rebuilt engine for on top of the $800 worth of labor you just lost. Unless you just like to gamble.
Honestly though, a cam change is about $500 and they can swap oil pumps then so I'd actually say a pump swap should be around $650 with pump. Less if you run a stock repalcement. $800 is a bit steep.

A cheap daily driver may be the best move though.
I dont have any clue about labor costs never paid anyone to do anything.

I agree that it would suck to pay 800 and have the engine fail and there is a good possibility that it could and will happen.

Personally I would either change the pump myself (only cost a 100 bucks or so) and drive it till it breaks or park it till I have enough to put the motor I want in it.

Who knows you might be able to sell it and break it off into someone elses ***. I dont agree with this but people do it.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:02 PM
11 Second Club

You will be taking the bus if you keep driving it with no oil pressure.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

exactly how long did you drive it with low oil pressure and how many times did you sieze it?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Well its started recently and I didnt drive it with the low oil pressure I drove it when it was in the middle and when it started to drop I would just go home
Old 01-26-2012, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Ima get it checked this weekend and see what's gonna happen