This is why I live in Texas!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by retardedpenguin
I guess I'll have to read into it. Had someone banging on our doors and windows, then they started flashing lights in the windows. They went to the back yard and did the same ****.

Asked a lawyer friend about it and he said it would not end well for me if I had shot him.
If it is after dark and someone is on your property you have the right to defend your property. If I catch anyone breaking in my shop you can bet your *** I will put my rights to use. Same goes for someone banging on my doors like a nut...
Old 02-21-2012, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
If it is after dark and someone is on your property you have the right to defend your property. If I catch anyone breaking in my shop you can bet your *** I will put my rights to use. Same goes for someone banging on my doors like a nut...
Would suck if the ones doing the banging are just kids doing a prank and then the tables turn on you. Just saying. Im with shooting intruders or attackers dont get me wrong thats why I love TEXAS!!!
Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99bluehawk
Would suck if the ones doing the banging are just kids doing a prank and then the tables turn on you. Just saying. Im with shooting intruders or attackers dont get me wrong thats why I love TEXAS!!!
I live out in the country so there should not be any kids playing around my place. I'm pretty sure I can decifer between an adult and a Kid, I'm not just going to blast through a door.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:26 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

http://texaslawshield.com/

i just signed up for this. they also offer legal advise about firearm use. figured for the price, it cant hurt.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:53 PM
TECH Veteran

As the Poh-leese, legally I'd advise against shooting anyone unarmed in you home, etc. Now, I'm not saying that I wouldn't in the heat of the moment in a dark house if someone is coming at me and I can't see anything. If you can get them on the ground at gunpoint until the cops get there, that's your best deal. Obviously things can go to hell in a handbasket really quick, but dead men do tell no tales.

Also if you're that worried about it, plan ahead and find a throw-away gun cheap to put in the perps dead hand, just make sure you never touch it w/o gloves on.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Launching!

I'm a Texas Peace Officer n up to my knowledge u can shoot a person when the actor(intruder) is in YOUR property n the actor makes u feel your life n the lives of others (ex: family) is in danger, or if its nighttime n the actor is in YOUR property n is stealing YOUR property. Another thing u don't shoot to kill lol u shoot to control the situation (good luck if u say "I shot to kill the actor" in court lol), as far as that guy, yes he was trying to do a good deed km stopping the burglar but he should've NEVER fired his weapon, here in Texas is called Deadly Conduct. In my opinion the best thing to do in this situation is call the police n give as best description of the burglar as possible nothing more nothing less; now if its YOUR property that is bro.g burglarized, I can't tell u to shoot someone but I can tell u do what u have to do to protect your property, family, n yourself. Any questions feel free to ask
Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 PM
Launching!

Sorry for some of the grammar mistakes I'm using my Evo n autocorrect sucks lol
Old 02-21-2012, 08:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by davidv
Sorry for some of the grammar mistakes I'm using my Evo n autocorrect sucks lol
You made some points I left out. Forgot to say that you can't use deadly force unless your life or anothers is in danger of serious bodily injury or death. Also it is justified to prevent the imminent commission of aggravated kidnapping, murder, rape or robbery.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99FRC
WTF?!! Homeowner stops a burglar and they try to charge HIM with a crime. As an experienced gun owner I know that you should never fire your weapon unless it is to kill someone, but this is just crazy! If this happened in Texas, cops would give you a pat on the back and tell you that you should have shot that piece of ****.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/21...-near-burglar/
In some places of this country, criminals get rewarded for their actions. :texas: In TX cops wont show up until after you kill them. and if you spare them the cops will tell you did wrong! lol
Old 02-21-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS69TA
As the Poh-leese, legally I'd advise against shooting anyone unarmed in you home, etc. Now, I'm not saying that I wouldn't in the heat of the moment in a dark house if someone is coming at me and I can't see anything. If you can get them on the ground at gunpoint until the cops get there, that's your best deal. Obviously things can go to hell in a handbasket really quick, but dead men do tell no tales.

Also if you're that worried about it, plan ahead and find a throw-away gun cheap to put in the perps dead hand, just make sure you never touch it w/o gloves on.
You just dont like filing the paperwork lol I hear if you let them go, they'll come back.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

These ******* bureaucrat law makers and such are so worried about being politically correct that their common sense has flown the coop! The politically correct nonsense has to go
Old 02-21-2012, 08:45 PM
Launching!

I only have my phone so I can't quote, at Ls69TA yep u r correct, all those reasons r justified, I didn't go into detail for the reason that it was a only a burglary
Old 02-21-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Castle law! You can now use deadly force in Texas in your own home if you are in any way threatened by a break in/intruder. Used to be you could only act as a "reasonable"person would. Which means they would rather you retreat in your own home and wait the ten minutes it takes for the cops to get there. That's what has everyone thinking you can't do anything.

It was also recently added that the intruder, or family of, cannot sue you civilly for what happens to them while you are defending your home and family. So the "burglar slipped in my house and broke his leg and is now suing me" crap can't happen in Texas anymore.

You can use deadly force to defend others, your own property and other peoples property if it could be considered in your care. All of these situations you need to be careful though. Not worth killing someone over material possessions or a possible misunderstanding.

Im sure this was all said in those links, but im too lazy to click.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by svg210
You just dont like filing the paperwork lol I hear if you let them go, they'll come back.
Paperwork is the devil!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
Not worth killing someone over material possessions or a possible misunderstanding.
Like what? Oops I tripped and fell through your window and your TV looked so good I decided to take it. I find someone in my house they better have a grave plot picked out. Some people forget that the crook is only going to do one of two things.... fight or flight. Is that a 50/50 chance you want to take?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

I highly suggest that anyone that has questions about what can or can not be done to take a CHL class and stay away from getting legal advice from ls1tech...just saying.

Or you can try...

www.txchlforum.com

Its moderated by a lawyer that specializes in gun stuff, plenty of 'scenario' talk there.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

You mistook my post. Misunderstanding: if you intervene on someones behalf and don't know the whole story, say in public somewhere. There are many scenarios that could be bad and you escalating a situation into you killing someone.

As far as property: if they break in the main body of your house, do what you will. I would take no chances. But if someone is breaking into your detached garage, or a vacant guest house, call the police. It isn't worth going out there and possibly risking your life, or taking another life over a material thing. Also, if you're watching your neighbors house while they are out of town, and there's a break in, you have the right to use deadly force. But I wouldn't go over there risking myself to protect said property. All you hard asses that think you would shoot to kill in any of these situations mentioned should really get a grip on reality. Taking someones life isn't something to be taken lightly.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Lol - some of you kids post the darnedest things

(1) retardedshitbird - you have a "lawyer friend" !?!? Something tells me you really meant to say "one of your uneducated classmates that just so happened to read a cool Facebook post about guns and stuff"

(2) and to the guy that had another POS cop (actually, one cop and his paper pushing constable idiot brother) tell him to "shoot the guy and then move his nasty carcass into your own home before the cop gets there" is the the STUPIDEST **** I have ever seen or heard...take those idiots advice - i'll write you in prison

I'm gonna keep reading this hilarious thread for a couple days - fairly entertaining
Old 02-21-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by luvmeZ28
You mistook my post. Misunderstanding: if you intervene on someones behalf and don't know the whole story, say in public somewhere. There are many scenarios that could be bad and you escalating a situation into you killing someone.

As far as property: if they break in the main body of your house, do what you will. I would take no chances. But if someone is breaking into your detached garage, or a vacant guest house, call the police. It isn't worth going out there and possibly risking your life, or taking another life over a material thing. Also, if you're watching your neighbors house while they are out of town, and there's a break in, you have the right to use deadly force. But I wouldn't go over there risking myself to protect said property. All you hard asses that think you would shoot to kill in any of these situations mentioned should really get a grip on reality. Taking someones life isn't something to be taken lightly.
I didnt mistake your post, I actually agree 100% with it. I just dont think ls1tech is the place to get legal advice... n stuff.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by imlooking
Lol - some of you kids post the darnedest things

(1) retardedshitbird - you have a "lawyer friend" !?!? Something tells me you really meant to say "one of your uneducated classmates that just so happened to read a cool Facebook post about guns and stuff"

(2) and to the guy that had another POS cop (actually, one cop and his paper pushing constable idiot brother) tell him to "shoot the guy and then move his nasty carcass into your own home before the cop gets there" is the the STUPIDEST **** I have ever seen or heard...take those idiots advice - i'll write you in prison

I'm gonna keep reading this hilarious thread for a couple days - fairly entertaining
This just got better. In before the