What to take to an engineering interview?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69gto96z
I am curious though, how would a watch show I don't need the job?
A similar question came up on a different forum I monitor. An HR manager said that he wasn’t impressed by an expensive watch and that he based his assessment of a candidate on important things. The funny thing was that by the end of his post he said that he would specifically not hire a man wearing an expensive watch because that person probably has lots of money and therefore would not work hard. So much for basing his opinion on what’s important. Other people countered with the opinion that an expensive watch could also be indicative of a history of hard work.

Unlike math (right and wrong answers), when trying to sway the opinions of others , what impresses some make others unhappy. Part of success in business can come from being able to figure out what your audience is thinking while you’re still mid-sentence.

When in doubt just be yourself.

Kerry P.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:31 PM
Launching!

I am curious though, how would a watch show I don't need the job?
I believe what he was trying to get at was not to let your watch attract unnecessary attention.

One thing I forgot to mention was to do some reaerch on the company who is interviewing you. Go in prepared to ask some questions from your end. I remember some of my concerns revolved around tuition reimbursement (to get my MBA), opportunities within the company (don't wanna be at a desk for 30yrs), group structure, etc. Shows your interest in the job.

One thing I didn't understand back then was that interviews are a 2 way street, its gotta work for you as much as it has to work for them. And for the post that said not to bring anything, that's the worst advise ever. Did you ever walk into an exam without a calculator, paper, pencil, or other allowed materials? Your graduating in May, so imma guess the answer is NO. So why do that in an interview?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:43 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When he said he had a nice watch I was thinking maybe it was something that came from a family member (assuming he is young by grad date) - which could possibly be high end.

What can impress one person can offend another. I learned the hard way not to talk about my cars at work- some people take it the wrong way.

You need to know your audience- since you don't it is best to stay neutral.

Please take all of this in a positive manner-just passing on lessons learned.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Appreciate the input. I will probably stay away from the watch just in case. I am also going to go print my portfolio at Kinkos early tomorrow morning on some fairly nice paper.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Appreciate the input. I will probably stay away from the watch just in case. I am also going to go print my portfolio at Kinkos early tomorrow morning on some fairly nice paper.
Good Luck, Maybe next year you will be driving a new ZR1...
Old 02-22-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bad Chad
Good Luck, Maybe next year you will be driving a new ZR1...
Thanks! Ha, I wish. Realistically though I am hoping to pick up a 2012 Sierra at the year end closeout.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks! Ha, I wish. Realistically though I am hoping to pick up a 2012 Sierra at the year end closeout.
Ok, a used ZR1... LOL

I know it takes a lot of dedication to past schooling so best of Luck. I had to take a 4 day PMI Project Management class last week and I felt like I wanted to shoot myself. LOL
Old 02-22-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, a used ZR1... LOL

I know it takes a lot of dedication to past schooling so best of Luck. I had to take a 4 day PMI Project Management class last week and I felt like I wanted to shoot myself. LOL
I'd take aused Z06 for that matter Yes it does, there were many times where I wanted to quit. I bet that was a fairly intense course lol. Any course in under a week, regardless of what you are learning has to be intense!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 PM
Launching!

Good luck tomorrow- get there early to avoid any issues like traffic. Get yer game face on-
Old 02-22-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd take aused Z06 for that matter Yes it does, there were many times where I wanted to quit. I bet that was a fairly intense course lol. Any course in under a week, regardless of what you are learning has to be intense!
Oh it was, I was lost on Monday Morning at 8:01am when he said "Hello, My name is..." LOL
Old 02-22-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1965GP
Good luck tomorrow- get there early to avoid any issues like traffic. Get yer game face on-
Thanks, and will do, the interview is at 4, it should be about a 30 min drive, I was thinking of leaving around 3, and hanging out at a nearby gas station in my car or something if I get there too early. I have always heard it is good to be there early, but not too early.

Oh it was, I was lost on Monday Morning at 8:01am when he said "Hello, My name is..." LOL
Hahaha thats awesome, atleast you made it through it!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

1965GP, I just looked at your garage, and holy crap you either have a lot, or have had a lot of cars! If you still have that orbit orange 71, you know you want to sell it to me
Old 02-22-2012, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Protractor, compass and a calculator. That's it and that's all.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pray about it,ask your higher power for wisdom.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Launching!

I still all of them except the 77 Can Am- it just needed too much rust repair. The Orbit Orange 71 is at my dads now- I am working on a 70 GTO now.

Go kill it tomorrow!
Old 02-22-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1965GP
I still all of them except the 77 Can Am- it just needed too much rust repair. The Orbit Orange 71 is at my dads now- I am working on a 70 GTO now.

Go kill it tomorrow!
Nice! My dad has a 77 Can Am, it needs some work, but overall the body is straight and pretty much rust free. He drove it into his shop, where it hasn't moved in years. I love 1970 model, what color is it? I miss my 69, worst decision ever to sell it, but I will have another GTO one day.

Appreciate it guys!
Old 02-23-2012, 12:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-23-2012, 08:00 AM
Staging Lane

Man, i look up to you ME grads, i got to my first college Pre Cal (yeah i know, pre cal. ) class and my jaw damn near hit the floor.lol OP, i see you live in denton, where did you go to school at, UNT? I went to UTA, i'm hoping to have the money to go back this fall.... At least i know i can come to Tech for help on homework, maybe i can wash some peoples cars in exchange for tutoring!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:09 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
I would definitely suggest putting together a work portfolio that covers some pics of models/prototypes.... And even a picture of you holding a trophy after winning a school competition! I've hired roughly 20 engineers for my team over the last 5 years, half of them straight from school. Trust me, pictures are a good thing.

If you interview in a room with a marker board, don't be afraid to get up there and sketch out some things if it helps in answering a design question.

Good luck!
x100. I brought a 20+ page portfolio, several copies of my resume, small cost saving summaries I had performed at my internships, and also put all that on CDs and gave them out as well.

Being prepared = confidence and a less uncomfortable situation. My interview for my current job was 3-4 hours.

Remember, 80% of communication is non verbal - so things like eye contact, smiling, leaning, head nodding are all important even when you are not speaking. Wear a shirt and tie with some nice slacks. Unless the place does consulting, I don't think you will need a suit. I suggest picking out what you want to wear in advance - that way if there is an issue, you know before hand vs. the morning of the interview (such as stains, needs pressing, shoes need buffing, ect.). Comb your hair, show up early, and bring a nice folder to put information/hand outs in. Bring a nice pen as well (not a cheap hotel pen you picked up from spring break!).

Also, make a list of questions YOU want answered by them before you leave. this shows you have given much consideration to the job and do not want 'just want any job' you can get. Don't down sell your qualifications. If you are a problem solver (you should be with an ME), give specific examples. Whatever area of engineering this company deals with, study up on the lingo and technology behind that industry (such as if it's HVAC, spend a few hours going over thermal and refrigerant info, and know where the industry is going in the future).

Simply put, go in preparred and you will feel much better about the whole experience. I got 7 job offers out of school due to the actions I listed above.

Lastly, benefits matter - so be sure to go over that as well. Some companies even cover this on their web-site. Odds are, the job will be salary, so ask for normal hours per week, if traveled is needed, and if they have flex time (can work under one week, but over another). Ask if they have an employee education assistance program. I had no intentions of getting my masters degree, but when work said they would pay for it, I signed up within 2 months of being an employee. Now I have an MS degree which I got for free - another nice perk of the job.

Good luck. FYI, I'm an ME as well.

Last edited by 01 ss vert; 02-23-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

Oh yeah, also get their business card and send each one an email (not one email, but an individual one to each) and a thank you at the beginning of next week.

Quick Reply: What to take to an engineering interview?