What gun should i buy????

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My buddy built his ar for under 300$ lol.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:44 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Call me a drug dealer then, lol. I can field strip my ak blindfolded and faster than you can your ar any day of the week. Lets drop your precious ar in the mud and then the sand and see if it will shoot afterwards, not. My ak will and never skip a beat. To the op if you want a gun thats cheap to shoot and can accessorize the **** out of then get an ak. You can get 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 for around 200ish bucks. Ar .223 is double that. I built an ak out of a Romanian parts kit about 5 years ago. It was super cheap. Now its hard to get your hands on a parts kit, but can still be done. Mine has a fiber force stock and fore grip with a tapco fcg. I built a scope mount and put a 4x12-50 scope on it. You can get all kinds of rails systems for ak's and put flashlights, lasers, coffee makers etc. on them. Ar's are super accurate and I will give then that on an ak, but a 30 cal bullet of the ak has way more energy to the ar's velocity. Its a trade off in ballistics, and a matter of preference. Look for the episode of Locked and loaded with R Lee Ermy when he does the ak to ar face off. Some good info on both guns.

I would agree with most of that, but the fact is, i am not playing in mud(every AK owner brings this up), i dont even have a dust cover on my AR, i have people experimenting with the TUL ammo, without cleaning their ARs and no jams without any cleaning for 1000 round this far, and it is dirty ammo. As far as breaking it down, i am not in a pissing match, i can clean them, and that is that. I am not military, so props to you for braking down a weapon so fast if that is what you have time to do all day.

And lets not forget the AR is available in 7.62, and is more accurate. (my next AR purchase)

If this was 1957, i would agree that AR design is inferior, but we have come leaps and bounds.

There is nothing wrong with a SKS, AK ect, just preference. If i lived in the middle east and was outside toting my weapon all day, then i would have to opt for something modern over a AK anyway, IAR, SCAR, something to that nature, but they are pricey as all hell.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DSIM
You can just as easily get an AR chambered in .308.

I like precision long range so Im more of an AR guy.
Yeah, but not cheap. The op wants to shoot for cheap.

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
I would agree with most of that, but the fact is, i am not playing in mud(every AK owner brings this up), i dont even have a dust cover on my AR, i have people experimenting with the TUL ammo, without cleaning their ARs and no jams without any cleaning for 1000 round this far, and it is dirty ammo. As far as breaking it down, i am not in a pissing match, i can clean them, and that is that. I am not military, so props to you for braking down a weapon so fast if that is what you have time to do all day.

And lets not forget the AR is available in 7.62, and is more accurate. (my next AR purchase)

If this was 1957, i would agree that AR design is inferior, but we have come leaps and bounds.

There is nothing wrong with a SKS, AK ect, just preference. If i lived in the middle east and was outside toting my weapon all day, then i would have to opt for something modern over a AK anyway, IAR, SCAR, something to that nature, but they are pricey as all hell.
Wow dude. I am not military either, but any idiot can tear an ak down blindfolded. I was just stressing how easy it is. I have yet to clean my ak and have shot it for almost 4 years.

Back on topic. If you want a cheaper gun and a cheaper gun to shoot get an ak. Its like buying a 9mm vs a 40 cal. If you like to shoot buy a 9mm, if you don't buy a 40, lol.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jc98ss
i'm diggin' the PSL......7.62x51 is a BEAST......i took an M44 carbine and chopped the barrel at 16.25"......it was the loudest gun i've ever heard, people next to me would change booths at the gun range after two or three shots.......we named it the "Crowdpleaser"

Yugo SKS's are good one's too.....the Tapco stock looks awesome, i had one in OD Green and traded it like an idiot
The PSL always draws curious onlookers at the range and no one believes my SKS is really an SKS until they start checking it out closer, the stock and everything always throws 'em off, haha! That M44 sounds mean!

Originally Posted by 99 bad ***
^ Those are some nice rifles. Is that a yugo on the left?
Thanks! Yes, the one on the left is a Yugo, the middle one is Romanian (I believe) and then the PSL on the right. We've got a couple more, but those three are the ones we usually take out the most.

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
If you want real cheap get a moisin for $99. No rails, magazines etc though.
Mosin-Nagants are awesome rifles! The OP is probably more interested in the semi-auto stuff, but for a good old bolt action the Mosin-Nagant rifle is a great choice!

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
You can find Cetme's in that price range too, but ammo isn't so cheap.
CETMEs are a clean rifle as well, if you come across one for a good price then definitely look into getting it! I love shooting this thing:

Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 PM
On The Tree

whatever you do, don't do this like 99.9% of the AR owners out there

Old 02-25-2012, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow dude. I am not military either, but any idiot can tear an ak down blindfolded. I was just stressing how easy it is. I have yet to clean my ak and have shot it for almost 4 years.
Why you would brag about not taking care of your equipment is all i want to know.... i like to take care of the things i work hard to pay for.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Or get you a SCAR...

Man I love that thing....

Great choices if he wanted to double or quadruple his budget.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Or get you a SCAR...

Man I love that thing....

Great choices if he wanted to double or quadruple his budget. Might as well suggest a FN2000, G36, and STG556 too.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, but not cheap. The op wants to shoot for cheap.
The only way to shoot cheap is to reload your own ammo.

I have yet to clean my ak and have shot it for almost 4 years.
Thats not very smart. Why dont you just stop changing your oil?

OP, go shooting sometime and figure out what you like. This thread will go the same way the radar detector threads go... Its all about personal preference.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
Why you would brag about not taking care of your equipment is all i want to know.... i like to take care of the things i work hard to pay for.
Because its an ak. Obviously you don't own one. I want to see how many rounds will go through it without a cleaning. Its a 1981 Romanian that I built out of a parts kits.

Thats not very smart. Why dont you just stop changing your oil?
Hmmmm apples to oranges.. . Its an ak. cmon man. You must not own one either. I am a very meticulous person, but this gun is a testament to how many rounds and how long you can go without cleaning. You guys are analyzing things way too much.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Regular

Because its an ak. Obviously you don't own one. I want to see how many rounds will go through it without a cleaning. Its a 1981 Romanian that I built out of a parts kits.

Hmmmm apples to oranges.. . Its an ak. cmon man. You must not own one either. I am a very meticulous person, but this gun is a testament to how many rounds and how long you can go without cleaning. You guys are analyzing things way too much.
Just because you can doesnt mean you should.

How many rounds have you put thru it?
Old 02-25-2012, 02:06 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

No one said an idiot couldnt.

But this is not talking an environment that will have to worry about not cleaning and getting nasty.

The AR has it where i and many others like it, accuracy.

They are both great platforms, and as stated, the OP needs to go shoot some rifles and get what he likes.

Hell, he might get a M14 and be happy with that, LOL.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

How the hell can you deduce from my statement what i do or dont own? you are making too many assumptions.

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS

Hell, he might get a M14 and be happy with that, LOL.
M14 is what the military has been issuing to its sharpshooters (not snipers) since the conflicts (iraq/afghan) started... they are a tried and true weapon and are deadly at a good distance in the right hands.... id take an M14 any day if i was shooting any long distance
Old 02-25-2012, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jc98ss
i'm diggin' the PSL......7.62x51 is a BEAST......i took an M44 carbine and chopped the barrel at 16.25"......it was the loudest gun i've ever heard, people next to me would change booths at the gun range after two or three shots.......we named it the "Crowdpleaser"

Yugo SKS's are good one's too.....the Tapco stock looks awesome, i had one in OD Green and traded it like an idiot
****, i meant to write 7.62x54 here, i just noticed my mistake....

7.62x51 = a low pressure .308 Win
Old 02-25-2012, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
How the hell can you deduce from my statement what i do or dont own? you are making too many assumptions.

Chill out ***** wrinkle, lol. Ok. . . do you own an ak?
Old 02-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Teching In

I thought your kind only used knives?
Old 02-26-2012, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by OHH RLY?
I thought your kind only used knives?
lol f u, well the main reason why the ak is in the picture is becasue of its price, i know i can get one for as little as 250-350 which would be awesome just didnt know how many accessory options were out there for it, but i love and always have loved the ar style. there are obviously many choices out there i want to go shoot both my buddy just got an ar and im sure i can rent one up the road,

thanks everyone for the input lots of good info.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1_bean
lol f u, well the main reason why the ak is in the picture is becasue of its price, i know i can get one for as little as 250-350 which would be awesome just didnt know how many accessory options were out there for it, but i love and always have loved the ar style. there are obviously many choices out there i want to go shoot both my buddy just got an ar and im sure i can rent one up the road,

thanks everyone for the input lots of good info.

If you can find a good non-CIA AK47 for $250-300 then hook me up. SK's seem to be in that price range now days. The AK's I've seen are $500 on up.

And if they're Century built (CIA), I'd keep looking. They tend to have QA issues.

Quick Reply: What gun should i buy????