Living in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 02:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GMCHammer
I think if you stick to the suburbs of Dallas or Houston you will like it. Plenty of things to do year round with a nice car scene.

I lived in PA for a year over a bad winter and could not wait to get back to Texas! I will take the summer heat any day over snow up to my ***.
Originally Posted by 69gto96z
I have been here my whole life, and don't ever want to move to another state. The summers can be pretty hot, but overall the weather is great the rest of the year. The car scene is pretty good, but is best around Houston from what I hear. Where are you looking at living in Texas?
Couldnt agree more with these guys. Born and raised in Houston and I'll never leave. Housing is cheap, engineering jobs are plentiful relative to the rest of the country especially in oil an gas (I'm an ME), parking spaces are actually the size of a damn SUV (no BS compact w/meter garbage like in NYC or LA), you can drive your car year round and the car scene is great down here, especially for LS cars. My wife went to UT so she loves Austin however the traffic is horrendous most of the time Ive been there. Lots of outdoor activities though and your only about 40mins from San Antonio (Fiesta Texas anyone???) in case you run out of things to do. I like Austin, but not enough to live there. Never been to Dallas but Im going to Six Flags over Texas (theme park) for spring break.

Traffic in all cities will be bad at some point (austin so far for me has been the worst) and every place has it's less than courteous people so we all get a knock for that. Summer time will be by far the hottest you probably will ever experience due to the humidity, at least in Houston anyway. But like noted above, Ill chose triple digit summers with humidity over freezing weather anyday.

Couple more points, Houston has the highest car insurance rates of anywhere in the country, the fattest people, and the dirtiest air, statistically speaking. No place like home though, I don't care what anyone says
Old 02-27-2012, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Texas, "Our State Will Kick Your State's ***"

That is all.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I lived in PA for a year over a bad winter and could not wait to get back to Texas! I will take the summer heat any day over snow up to my ***.
Guess its different stokes for different folks. I dont like bitter cold and much snow either but I hate 114 deg heat even worse. PA has its good winters and bad winters too. One year we get 6 ft of snow at once, one year we get 6" all winter long....just depends.

Housing is cheap,
The apartments I looked at here last few years are much more expensive than where I came from. I wouldnt say its "cheap" here. Plus the tollways are ridiculous. I have 150 bucks a month in tolls just getting to work and back. Its really the only way to get to where I'm at. If you could avoid the sam houston parkway and the other tollways, it wouldnt be so bad.

Couldnt agree more with these guys. Born and raised in Houston and I'll never leave.
If you havent lived anywhere else how would you know if you wouldnt leave? I moved here with good intentions but just didnt turn out the way I wanted it. Just dont like here as much. I come from the rolling hills and mountains of the north....hard to take the hillbilly out
Old 02-27-2012, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Default Houston

We (wife and I) moved to Houston 2 years ago from the state of WI. I do like it here. Moving to Houston was a great experience for me. I have never lived in a big city before, I lived in Milwaukee but that isn't even as big as Austin. There is always something to do and there is a reason for the disproportionate "overweight" statistics... The food here is awesome!!! There are so many great restaurants in Houston (Austin and DFW as well). I get to travel around Texas for work so I do see a lot and all in all I am glad that we picked Houston.

One gripe I have is the drivers and this goes for all of Texas. It just seems that they can't wait to plow into you. Though I have been told otherwise, I don't belive that there is a drivers education program here. You should not use your turn signal unless your intention is to get cut off. It is like they drive towards the blinking light.

Summers get hot and I am not built for the heat though after last summer I am getting used to it.

One additional advantage is the lack of state income tax. In WI you pay federal along with state income taxes. TX (along with FL and a few other states) have no state income taxes. That is like getting a raise. Sales taxes are higher and property taxes are about the same as WI. Overall though it works out better living in TX.

Unfortunately we will be leaving, probably soon, on to the next one.

Jason
Old 02-27-2012, 05:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One gripe I have is the drivers and this goes for all of Texas. It just seems that they can't wait to plow into you. Though I have been told otherwise, I don't belive that there is a drivers education program here. You should not use your turn signal unless your intention is to get cut off. It is like they drive towards the blinking light.
AInt that the truth! I've seen more accidents (rear ended stuff) down here in 1 year than I ever had my life in PA. I've been hit last year in stop and go 20mph traffic on I-10. I couldnt believe it...you not paying attention in that slow traffic??? Come on.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Orr89rocz
AInt that the truth! I've seen more accidents (rear ended stuff) down here in 1 year than I ever had my life in PA. I've been hit last year in stop and go 20mph traffic on I-10. I couldnt believe it...you not paying attention in that slow traffic??? Come on.
It doesn't help that most drivers nowadays are more interested in checking their fb status than driving when behind the wheel.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol true... theres just more drivers here period...too many on the roads even tho the roads are 5 lanes wide at some times. Accidents are bound to happen i guess
Old 02-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Launching!

how's gas there right now? its 4 here in new york. and housing prices? Plan on buying soon, curious to what the market is like in some of these areas you live in for certain sizes/acreage
Old 02-27-2012, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have lived in PA, NY, VA and spent a lot of time in OH.

TX hands down. People are friendly, work is plentiful and the food is great. I live in Houston and love it. You will have to work around traffic but that is any big town.

Cost of living is very cheap especially when you factor in no state sales tax. Apartments are average but houses are much cheaper than the majority of the country.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rcnjson

Everyone I have met from other cities in TX hate driving in Houston. We are a special breed and its pedal to the metal at all times. Im glad I learned to drive there

The epitome of "If you aint first youre last!!!!"
Old 02-27-2012, 09:31 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ripgtp97
how's gas there right now? its 4 here in new york. and housing prices? Plan on buying soon, curious to what the market is like in some of these areas you live in for certain sizes/acreage
I paid $3.49/Gal a few hours ago
Old 02-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DSIM
Everyone I have met from other cities in TX hate driving in Houston. We are a special breed and its pedal to the metal at all times. Im glad I learned to drive there

The epitome of "If you aint first youre last!!!!"

Yep, thats the way I feel. I HATE going to Houston on count of how people drive. DFW is not as bad IMO
Old 02-27-2012, 11:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I will be frank OP, I moved to Texas last year a couple of days before New Years of 2011. I hate it. Hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it, with all my heart and soul. The only good thing about Texas that still keeps me here is my job. If not for that, I would likely either have committed suicide by now or ended up stranded and delusional in a desert somewhere. The traffic is the worst I have ever seen, EVER. These are seriously the worst designed freeways I've ever been on, I have never gone a single day without being stuck in traffic. Where I live at least, it's pretty boring and there is little to do. The few interesting things that you can do get old pretty quickly. Be prepared for some serious culture shock. I've also never seen such awful drivers on the road in general, and I moved from California where it's full of old asian ladies on the street! :lol (no hate) Gas prices are nicer than most places, and job opportunity is pretty good. The car scene and market here is about 100 times better than anywhere else. That's about it.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
I will be frank OP, I moved to Texas last year a couple of days before New Years of 2011. I hate it. Hate it hate it hate it hate it hate it, with all my heart and soul. The only good thing about Texas that still keeps me here is my job. If not for that, I would likely either have committed suicide by now or ended up stranded and delusional in a desert somewhere. The traffic is the worst I have ever seen, EVER. These are seriously the worst designed freeways I've ever been on, I have never gone a single day without being stuck in traffic. Where I live at least, it's pretty boring and there is little to do. The few interesting things that you can do get old pretty quickly. Be prepared for some serious culture shock. I've also never seen such awful drivers on the road in general, and I moved from California where it's full of old asian ladies on the street! :lol (no hate) Gas prices are nicer than most places, and job opportunity is pretty good. The car scene and market here is about 100 times better than anywhere else. That's about it.
From what Ive gathered reading your posts over the last year or so, youre pretty much a hermit. You dont do anything but bitch on here all the time about your situation, get out and meet people. If you cant find anything to do its your own damn fault. Youre young, make friends, just because youre having difficulties having a life doesnt mean everyone else will hate it.

My dad has traveled all over the US for work over the last 40 years and he ended up buying a house right outside of San Antonio. Ive worked out of a state a little and cant imagine living anywhere else. Traffic sucks everywhere, but you learn to move around when its not bad and take ways around. I grew up in Houston and like Austin much better. Houston just isnt the same after Katrina relocated some of NOLAs finest

I like Austin because its basically in the middle and I can be anywhere within a couple hours pretty much. The beack is 2.5 hours away, DFW is 3 hours away, San Antonio is an hour away and Houston 3 hours. If youre an outdoors type person Austin definitely has the best to offer. We've also got the lakes and rivers close by except that theyre pretty much mpty right now with the drought. If youre in the oil and gas industry is pretty hard to beat Houston and the car scene is stronger.

DFW has harsher winters than we do further south, for some reason they seem to get a lot more ice and hail. It is nice up there though, if I lived anywhere else it would probably be outside of FtWorth. DFW does have a pretty damn good car scene and the people seem to be a little more laid back.

If you can deal with the really hot summers I think you will find it is very nice down here.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:43 PM
Launching!

im gunna agree with 1slow on this one. and it seems that Austin is coming in as the best. I'm just worried about the humidity. its a bitch. lol
Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you live in Haltom city im sure you are talking about the 2 lane highway (183) that I hate driving through. That is out of Dallas and is considered Ft. Worth. That is the only traffic I have seen around Haltom City. It does get congested like any other city but 183 is really bad.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:38 AM
TECH Regular

im gunna agree with 1slow on this one. and it seems that Austin is coming in as the best. I'm just worried about the humidity. its a bitch. lol
Austin is the best. Humidity isnt as bad as Houston thats for damn sure.

Also, if it takes you 3 hours to get from Austin to Houston you drive like old people screw

You need to get down south.

I didnt like Dallas that much myself and I do think that drivers there are the worst out of the 4 major big cities (havent driven much thru San Antonio thou). I love watching the news when it snows up there... If you want an awesome freeway system, Houston is your best bet. If you like an active lifestyle with lots of outdoor stuff near by (within 1.5 hours) you have literally unlimited choices in Austin. Im an outdoors guy so I chose Austin.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:27 AM
Launching!

The apartments I looked at here last few years are much more expensive than where I came from. I wouldnt say its "cheap" here. Plus the tollways are ridiculous. I have 150 bucks a month in tolls just getting to work and back. Its really the only way to get to where I'm at. If you could avoid the sam houston parkway and the other tollways, it wouldnt be so bad.
I will clarify my previous statment. When I said cheap I meant it in a relative way. $100 is $100 but if you can get something that is worth $1000 somewhere else for $100 here, then relatively speaking, its cheap. Besides, I said housing, not renting, and compared to where the OP is coming from, it's cheap here. The Northeast is ridiculously expensive (I have two friends I visited for New Years in NYC) and when you compare renting, its equally as expensive. You could get 3 times more here for what you would pay there.

If you havent lived anywhere else how would you know if you wouldnt leave?
I've traveled to about 25 different places for work purposes over the last 6 years, spent up to 4 months in some places, thats how I know I would never leave Houston..
Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Houston humidity is pretty damn bad, Austin is ok and the DFW area has significantly less than the other two areas. To be honest you get used to it, personally I'd rather sweat my *** off than be bundled up like the michelin man but I've also got a titanium plate in my ankle that messes me up when its cold.

You need to make a trip down and just check them all out, its hard for anyone to paint a vivid enough picture for you.

I'm probably a bit jaded since I grew up in Texas but it really is a great place to live. Decent jobs, cost of living is low, non-oppressive laws, tons of outdoor stuff, if you can deal with heat we have pretty good weather and the best car scene in the nation.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^^
He doesn't live in Dallas. He lives in Haltom City, which lays claim to the worst stretch of highway I have ever seen in any state (820N). I wouldn't base my opinion of living in Texas on that. I will have to agree that Austin would be my choice if I could pick any city and make a living there.

Quick Reply: Living in Texas?