Living in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Living in Texas?

Hey guys, so i'm from the northeast born and bred, new york and Mass. I'm looking at some jobs in Texas, and I was wondering how you all feel about living in Texas? Especially looking for opinion from those who moved there or have lived elsewhere. I see the racing world looks pretty nice down there but besides that, how is it overall??

Last edited by ripgtp97; 02-27-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have been here my whole life, and don't ever want to move to another state. The summers can be pretty hot, but overall the weather is great the rest of the year. The car scene is pretty good, but is best around Houston from what I hear. Where are you looking at living in Texas?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:31 AM
9 Second Club

I love it. Plenty of job opportunities. Great places to live. And the car scene is like no other around the country. I traveled and have live in many different places but keep coming bak to Houston. Where are you planning on moving too?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Launching!

Currently I"m looking at jobs in austin, dallas, houston those seem to be the areas that have the most companies in my field
Old 02-27-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Born in Pittsburgh PA, moved here to Houston 2 years ago and now heading back. Too much I miss from back in PA for me to stay here.

Jobs opps are great if you are in the energy and technology fields. Oil/gas is where I'm at and this is the energy capital of the world. Thats a big plus about it.

Weather is mostly nice, but I hate the heat in the summers. I dont like living much in the city and thats where I'm at. I hate the traffic.

Seems like theres lots of activities to do since weather stays ok for the most part year round. Golf is nice here. Lots of good food places. I'll miss the food and mild winters but thats about it.

Race scene is good but I dont have my fun car here with me due to not having a place to store it and work on it. So I'm taking a new position in the company i work for and moving back to hometown.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You will be happy with all three, but the traffic around the cities sucks at rush hour times. I'm in DFW, but am looking to move to Austin depending on where I get a job at. I haven't been to Houston since I was 12, but am going down there for 2k12. I heard it is really humid in Houston, don't know from experience though. What field are you in?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:47 AM
Launching!

I'm not a huge fan of humidity, i was just in southern california for 4 months on a co-op and that was a nice heat. Don't think i'll miss snow too much as long as I can get involved in pickup hockey somewhere ha. Traffic I think i'm used to living in new york/boston/LA area. and I'm in civil engineering construction side and environmental side

how are the people there honestly? everyone says texas is such a different state but I really have no idea
Old 02-27-2012, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Traffic in Houston sucks really bad. It is even bumper to bumper on Sundays. I would say traffic wise, Austin would be the bet pic out of the 3. I dont know how Austins street scene is though. I lived in Dallas all my life and have learned to handle the traffic, well at least work around it and not spend most of my driving time just sitting on it.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Houston traffic depends on what part of town you live in. I've yet to come across bumper to bumper traffic on a Sunday that wasn't caused by an accident or road closure. If you know where your going you can find a way around it. If you lived in LA then Houston traffic will look like a drag race.

Austin traffic sucks because the city has grown faster than they can widen the freeways. No idea about dallas, only pass through every few years.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

how are the people there honestly? everyone says texas is such a different state but I really have no idea
Very diverse and to be honest, I havent been to happy with the ppl here. Depends where you go I guess but the places around the city I've experienced, I dont think the people here are as courteous as up north. Again it depends as people from around here think the north is bad.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ripgtp97
I'm not a huge fan of humidity, i was just in southern california for 4 months on a co-op and that was a nice heat. Don't think i'll miss snow too much as long as I can get involved in pickup hockey somewhere ha. Traffic I think i'm used to living in new york/boston/LA area. and I'm in civil engineering construction side and environmental side

You'll have better luck at the pickup hockey in the Dallas area. Stars have a couple of arenas here. I'm from Houston and never heard of it down there. Not as humid here and you'll see a little bit of snow most winters. Still hot in summer though! Leave your FUBU clothes in Boston! J/K!! My neighbor is from Boston and he dressed like a gangsta when he first moved in so we gave him a bunch of ****. Now he wears boots and a cowboy hat. LOL!!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Orr89rocz
Very diverse and to be honest, I havent been to happy with the ppl here. Depends where you go I guess but the places around the city I've experienced, I dont think the people here are as courteous as up north. Again it depends as people from around here think the north is bad.
strange...people up north do not seem as courteous to me as they do here...hmm
Old 02-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ripgtp97

Texas does have the more professional hockey teams than any other state. The Dallas does have more rinks and in nicer neighborhoods. Houston has some as well but the few that I have been to have been in some pretty rough areas.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Launching!

haha no gangsta clothing for me ;] but I've heard overall people in the south and california are way nicer than up north. Even one of my professor rants about how people in the Northeast are so faced paced and busy and rude. I'm surprised to hear about the snow, i can deal with a tiny little bit to change it up. Definately getting some good ideas of whats going on down there though, appreciate it
Old 02-27-2012, 12:06 PM
On The Tree

If you move into the Houston Area, you'll find the majority of folks are transplants from other parts of the country and different parts of the world.

August heat in the Summer can be brutal but the winters are mild and then there is the occasional hurricane.

I am a Native Texan and most people in the state are friendly ... a little less so around DFW and Houston though.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:21 PM
9 Second Club

There is an ice ring off of I45 on the south side. My expierence with friendly people is greater down here than up north. I used to complain about the traffic here in Houston until I lived in So Cal for a few years. After dealing with LA traffic, Houston isn't so bad.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:25 PM
TECH Regular

Ive lived in Houston, Dallas and Austin. Out of the 3, I believe Austin is the best place to live (this coming from a Native Houstonian). The only place I have lived outside Texas was Ft. Knox from 98-02. While Louisville is a pretty good time, Austin still beats it.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:29 PM
9 Second Club

Austin is real nice
Old 02-27-2012, 01:36 PM
11 Second Club

I think if you stick to the suburbs of Dallas or Houston you will like it. Plenty of things to do year round with a nice car scene.

Originally Posted by Orr89rocz
Born in Pittsburgh PA, moved here to Houston 2 years ago and now heading back. Too much I miss from back in PA for me to stay here.

Jobs opps are great if you are in the energy and technology fields. Oil/gas is where I'm at and this is the energy capital of the world. Thats a big plus about it.

Weather is mostly nice, but I hate the heat in the summers. I dont like living much in the city and thats where I'm at. I hate the traffic.

Seems like theres lots of activities to do since weather stays ok for the most part year round. Golf is nice here. Lots of good food places. I'll miss the food and mild winters but thats about it.

Race scene is good but I dont have my fun car here with me due to not having a place to store it and work on it. So I'm taking a new position in the company i work for and moving back to hometown.
I lived in PA for a year over a bad winter and could not wait to get back to Texas! I will take the summer heat any day over snow up to my ***.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Born and raised here and wouldn't live anywhere else. But then again you are in the Texas section asking a bunch of Texans about Texas, you won't find many complaints, if any. Other than the bipolar weather lol.

Quick Reply: Living in Texas?