***Updated***Spending a couple days in Dallas...useful info

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 9Green-Z8
the dallas zoo just redid alot of things its pretty bad *** now i just went last week i hadnt been there in over a year and i actually like it this time they have a camel ride now and penguins, but medieval times is pretty cool also
x2 on Medieval Times
Old 03-11-2012, 01:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

The Fort Worth zoo is like in the top 5 in the United states.

There are 2 tours for the staduim. A guided tour and unguilded tour. The guided tour has limited spots so if you want that you have to get there early for tickets, maybe even buy them the day in advance. I have talked to several people who were not able to get into the guided tours.

Everyone bringing up Hurricane Harbor and NRH2O needs to remember this is spring break. I dont think they are open yet due to cold water. I could be wrong.

I have never been to the Dallas Aquarium but I hear good things about it and its close to the JFK memorial.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Thanks again for all of the responses. Here is what I found:

Water parks are still closed
Reunion tower observation deck is closed
Cowboys stadium tour doesn't allow field level access on the days we are there.......which blows because that is a bucket list kinda thing.......everyone was disappointed about that.....

Looks like we'll be sticking pretty close to the adjusted list then......still no zoo though dangit! We have some family that lives in Midlothian, and we're gonna try to get together for dinner somewhere in between on Monday night. We'll definately be checking out some of the restaurants you guys have recommended too. We are also gonna hit the Galaxy Drive In Theatre on the way home, that should be pretty cool.......too bad better movies aren't playing for the kids.....
Old 03-11-2012, 12:14 PM
Teching In

I will add there is an indoors water park in grapevine. My wife and some of her friends spent a weekend there this winter. It is attached to a hotel. She had a blast
Old 03-11-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98Roller
I will add there is an indoors water park in grapevine. My wife and some of her friends spent a weekend there this winter. It is attached to a hotel. She had a blast
Great Wolf Lodge
Old 03-11-2012, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SSHAWK
I liked Ripleys but it was pricy .. If you like Chicken fried steak you have to go to Babe's Fried Chicken... The best hands down it's also family style.

www.babeschicken.com

Babe's Carrollton, Texas I think this was the first one too.
http://www.babeschicken.com/Babes-Ch...arrollton.html
OMG there food is so damn good it shouldnt be legal. Seriously you have to eat there atleast one meal but dont go to late because they sell out of there chicken completly almost every single day. If you go to late in the day you will have to get something else, even though its all good.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Alright, got the fam back home from DFW this evening and I figured I'd post some of my thoughts / findings etc from the short stay......

Firstly I will say that I really enjoyed the stay there. Small amount of traffic, pretty easy to navigate, and all of the people I ran into were cool unlike the A-hole Cowboy fans here on tech . The downtown areas we visited were clean, stadiums were kick-***, and attractions were fun. I hate to say it, but I think Six Flags Dallas has Astroworld beat, we REALLY loved all of the rides there.

1.) Six Flags - spring break, so the place was busy......we got in there with the very first group, but that didn't help. Rode 3 rides in the first 3 1/2 hours, and one of those was a kiddie ride. YOU HAVE TO GET THE FLASH PASS! It cost an extra $200, but we rode the hell out of every ride after that with a no more than probably 10 minute wait. The flash pass basically allows you to reserve rides/times. There is no way we would have rode all of the rides without that thing. We were there from 10-10.

2.) Legoland - if your kid(s) like Lego's, take them there. That place was heaven on earth for my 7 year old. Building race cars and racing them against other people was fun too, my 11 year old had a blast with that, and so did I........I will not divulge the secret to invincibility here, but look for the "big wheel" if you go and build from there! We spent like 4 hours there.

3.) Grapevine Mills Mall - just like Katy Mills mall. Nike factory outlet store was cool.......great prices on shoes. Lots of cool stores and good prices.......just like the Katy Mills Mall basically.

4.) JFK memorial - easy to get to and you just have to go to see where it all happened. Enjoyed listening to the conspiracy theorists giving the rundown on the assassination. Gotta stand on the "X" and have a seat on the grassy knoll. Just one of those things you have to do to remember or relive that day in history.

5.) Stadiums - all of them were awesome structures. We didn't tour any of them, but we will when we come back up for a Ranger's game so we can get field access. Snuck over around the ballpark and played some catch with my boys. Look forward to coming back for a game and tour fo sho!

6.) Ripleys / palace of wax - everyone had a good time. Wax figures were cool.......the room with all of the Presidents was awesome! Ripleys tour was neat, kids loved that! They loved the mirror maze. Kids really enjoyed it there. Spent about 2 hours there....maybe a little more.

7.) Food - didn't really go crazy here. We ate at Mercado Juarez? on Monday night with some family. Definately not impressed. Queso sucked........salsa sucked.......beef fajitas blew......chicken was ok.......my boys enchiladas were ok.......we ended up eating b-fast at the hotel, some fast food Tuesday night, and Wednesday for lunch we ate Applebee's. So, not much help for anyone there.........maybe we caught it on a bad day, but that mexican restaurant sucked on Monday night.

Thats about it.......didn't fit nearly as much in as we wanted, and we did do a few other things that aren't coming to mind now. Overall everyone really enjoyed the 3 days we stayed, and we all look forward to going back.

One other thing I did find out is that "SIC GTO" can't sit in traffic without shooting revs and revving off the clutch constantly.........East Randoll Mills Road and 360 south on Monday evening about 5:40.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

Sounds like you found your way around Dallas! Yes Mercado Juarez sucks, sorry you had to find out first hand. Like GarrettM said, you should have made your way to Babe's chicken. You would be house shopping after eating there!
Old 03-15-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by LCTA

One other thing I did find out is that "SIC GTO" can't sit in traffic without shooting revs and revving off the clutch constantly.........East Randoll Mills Road and 360 south on Monday evening about 5:40.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad you saw the JFK memorial. I had always wanted to see it and when I first moved here last year it was one of the first places I saw. As you probably know, they don't like photography inside at all and in fact have a whole team of in the room security and people all day constantly monitoring on camera for people who take photos and they promptly kick them out. Well let's just say I have a bit of a rebel streak, for those who don't know, the last picture is the spot where they found the sniper's nest that is believed to have been setup by Lee Harvey Oswald. Today it looks exactly like it did they day JFK was shot. I had a bit of a "point, click, and run" encounter with security when I saw 2 of them walking towards me very quickly after taking the photo

Anyone else like the big black and yellow sign that let's people know it's the infamous Grassy Knoll?

This dude was giving a presentation and literally pulled me by my sleeve unexpectedly out of the crowd and used me as a demonstration for his speech

Like I said, they do NOT like it when someone tries to take this picture. Wish I had been able to snap a picture of Jack Ruby's hat.
Old 03-16-2012, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GMCHammer
Sounds like you found your way around Dallas! Yes Mercado Juarez sucks, sorry you had to find out first hand. Like GarrettM said, you should have made your way to Babe's chicken. You would be house shopping after eating there!

I REALLY wanted to try Babe's, but the wife said she wasn't feeling homesyle cooking, and Mercado Juarez was recommended by family as a great place to eat........she regretted taking that advice.......the outdoor shopping center by Mercado Juarez was pretty cool though.

The JFK memorial is definately a must-see.
Old 08-14-2012, 02:47 PM
On The Tree

Going to watch a Cowboy game 08/23 with a friend and was wondering what are some cool places to go check out for some dudes? I believe we are staying at the Hilton close to the stadium