Car has issues after that heavy rain we had

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02CamaroSSLE
If you unplug the mad and it runs the same I would put my money on that being the issue. Did you swap with someone?
MAF? I bought a new one and it didn't change anything.

Gonna try O2's next, pretty much the last "cheap" thing.
Old 04-08-2012, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would buy some diag before wasting money throwing parts at it man. Could of spent $100 or less to know exactly what was wrong by someone that knows what their doing! Then you buy the parts and do it yourself.
Old 04-08-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea definitely, I just don't have a scan tool or know anyone with one.

I barely limped it to autozone to get codes pulled, I'll have to wait for someone to be able to follow me to see if I can make it somewhere that has a real scanner.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

In response to several responses

My car runs fine with the MAF disconnected, I have done this to late model chevy trucks too during testing and they seemed to run just fine, a lot of cars will (but not all)

It will not run fine with the O2's disconnected.

The computer can substitute values for a disconnected MAF based off all or some of MAP, 02, ECT, and IAT readings but it can't substitute values for the 02's.

Deleted EGR, AIR, Cats, and rear 02's will have no effect on the need for a tune in reference to A/F ratio, but long tubes will have some affect on it during WOT since it goes into open loop and runs off the factory map/tune. That is not calibrated for the amount of airflow increase you are getting from your intake/exhaust modifications. I don't think that you are increasing the flow enough though to run lean, you would have to wideband it to see. Which is a very good idea if you like your motor.

As far as drying out the injectors, either the injector o-rings were leaking and allowing water into the manifold or the connectors were soaked causing a mild short in the connectors.

Make sure everything is dry as can be, right now you are pissing in the wind however. I have a scanner but I am in Rowlett, if you get close to my area I can check out the data stream and tell you what is going on.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 04-10-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Bump, tried new O2s and nothing, the bosch 13111 Corvette rears, so I didn't extend them this time.

Sent you a pm pooter, if anyone is close by that could bring a scanner I would be willing to pay. Closest shop that I wanted to take it in to is full until next month and thats not gonna work.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:06 PM
Teching In

just try getting new maf sensors and see if that helps. if not i would try retuning it.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Don't listen to the guy above me, he's clueless, and I am being kind. Go spend for an hour or so of diag time at a dealer. You've ruled out some common minor causes but you need someone knowledgeable, equipped, and thorough. I am afraid you may be looking at mechanical damage...wet air filter is NOT a good sign. That alone will flat freak out an insurance adjuster, with good reason.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yea I wasn't going to retune (or tune, on stock tune) it, and I already put a new MAF on the car with no change.

I'm not going to a dealer because the car has no cats, rear o2s, EGR/AIR and all sorts of other stuff they're going to tell me is the problem when its most likely not.

I have a plan with pooter to meet tomorrow hopefully to get some data on whats going on.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

cool beans
Old 04-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

my car did this but i just disconnected my o2's and it worked fine and i know its not the best thing to do but it get me by so i can get new o2s plus i havent seen a change on my gas or anything
Old 04-17-2012, 11:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got everything straightened out with 00pooterSS, great guy to work with and he knows his stuff.

Thanks again man!
Car runs better than it did before!
Even fixed new problems after we were done haha.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Good deal, what was wrong with it?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 87 Posts

Seriously, all this drama and asking for help and you don't share what the problem(s) was/were? WTF?
Old 04-18-2012, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Haha sorry guys, was all excited I guess.

Had terrible missfires on 1 and 2, and I guess they were so bad that the crank sensor was just throwing random missfires no matter what because it had no clue what was going on.

I also think the MAF I bought was bad out of the box, cleaned mine really well and changed two plugs that were cracked on the ceramic causing spark to arc to the head, I missed that when I pulled the plugs before.

Also pooter told me the Coolant Temp sensor can cause idle issues since the computer freaks out and thinks the temp is like negative 30 degrees or something, well mine was broken in half haha.

So probably a combination of those things, cause it was running TERRIBLE.

Then we took it out to check everything, ran great, probably better than it ever has...then the alternator jumped ship.
Got a new one for a truck and hopefully nothing else will break >.<
Old 04-18-2012, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by happysem
Haha sorry guys, was all excited I guess.

Had terrible missfires on 1 and 2, and I guess they were so bad that the crank sensor was just throwing random missfires no matter what because it had no clue what was going on.

I also think the MAF I bought was bad out of the box, cleaned mine really well and changed two plugs that were cracked on the ceramic causing spark to arc to the head, I missed that when I pulled the plugs before.

Also pooter told me the Coolant Temp sensor can cause idle issues since the computer freaks out and thinks the temp is like negative 30 degrees or something, well mine was broken in half haha.

So probably a combination of those things, cause it was running TERRIBLE.

Then we took it out to check everything, ran great, probably better than it ever has...then the alternator jumped ship.
Got a new one for a truck and hopefully nothing else will break >.<
Pretty much sums it up, except it was 3 bad plugs lol. 1 plug was cracked, one had carbon tracing down the side where the arc was going out and around the plug, and one defective plug.

Last edited by 00pooterSS; 04-18-2012 at 01:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Car has issues after that heavy rain we had