SINISTER build (update 2/8/13)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This guy has too much money. Lets all get together as LS1Tech members and relieve him of his extra finances.

I bet he deals
Old 01-22-2015, 10:11 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 99Z28LS1
This guy has too much money. Lets all get together as LS1Tech members and relieve him of his extra finances.

I bet he deals
That's definitely the problem says the spray butter eating guy with a '15 Denali 2500.
Old 01-23-2015, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

This is a "judgment free" zone sir
Old 01-28-2015, 07:57 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Contacted Dulaney on acquiring a set of his Fbody-c5/6 hub conversion brackets and look what showed up. These allow the use of c5/c6 x tracker skf race hub units on fbody spindles without no additional track width, so the brakes will work the same with this as they will with stock. The skf race hubs will cure any certain issue with fbody hub failures running 295 r888's in the front.

Man are these beautiful.
Billet 4130 chromoly cnc'd and hard anodized. Too bad you'll never see them.
Now I've gotta fork out the $700 for the race hubs. I guess I'll have to purchase some badass brake cooling ducts to bolt to these too. Damnit.

Last edited by scj; 01-19-2017 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Any updates?
Old 03-24-2015, 11:20 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bluestreak98
Any updates?
Should be done by next week. Here's the latest. Doors, bumpers, hood, grille, spoiler, Berger, mirrors, door handles, gas lid are prepped and getting painted tonight. Sorry they didn't get any pictures of car in clear.

Last edited by scj; 01-19-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been 6 months, any updates? Great build
Old 09-27-2015, 05:45 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Got the car back from paint. Not entirely pleased with the work, or price I paid but it'll do for now. That shop was a joke.

Some engine bay dress up.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:54 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Radiator mounted.

The bullets in

Arp goodness.

Skf race hubs, arp studs, dulaney brackets

Ctsv brakes, 14" rotors, UMI upper/lowers and k member, Strano sway, KW coil overs.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:00 PM
Staging Lane

Looks really good man!
Old 09-28-2015, 12:28 AM
10 Second Club

Comming alomg real nice!
Old 09-28-2015, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by scj
Got the car back from paint. Not entirely pleased with the work, or price I paid but it'll do for now. That shop was a joke.
please share the details of your experience if you don't mind.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks awesome man.

I see you stood up the radiator. Will you be retaining a/c?
Old 09-28-2015, 10:04 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jdoyle
please share the details of your experience if you don't mind.
Sure thing.

Since the car was sitting on jack stands I paid bob $75.00 to drive 10 miles each direction to my house and look at the car and give me some insight and a price quote. I did email several shops to get quotes but most either didn't have the time for it and dealt mainly with insurance claims and in/out jobs or needed to see the car in person but weren't willing to come look at it(obviously I wasn't going to trailer it around getting quotes at different shops). I was pleased that bob would take the time to come look at the car. Regardless of rather id pay him or not. Anyways. He arrived and looked at the car, I told him what I wanted pretty much to a point he explained a few things and gave me the understanding that it wasn't anything he couldn't handle and I felt confident that his shop would do a good job based on his website and previous work i had seen. He told me $5-6k and reassured me $6k would be all in. That was including painting the whole car, door jambs, finishing engine bay, and hatch jamb. He told me 6weeks would be about right for completion. The car was already dis-assembled. Front clip gone all parts/trim/weather strip removed and the only thing they were suppose to have to remove for paint was the hatch and doors. And it was to be returned in the same fashion no re assembly on their pair other than putting doors and hatch back on. He came and picked the car up a couple of weeks later and so the story begins.

I work 70+hrs a week and didn't have much time to check in, but I tried to when I had a day off. The first 4-5 times I came to check on it nothing had done to the car at all. That's 3-5 weeks already passed. I understand It may not have gotten to the shop at a time when they could start immediately so I keep my expectations of 6 weeks of work time once they actually start on the car. A few weeks go by and they do some work on the engine bay only and then finally get it in primer and for some reason the primer reacts and does a cracking effect on the whole engine bay so they call me to let me know. So I go and check it out. He reassures me they're going to strip it all back down and redo it so what choice do I have. The next time I come into the shop 3 weeks later the car still has no body work done to it, but the engine bay is in bare metal. I return a week or two later and the engine bay is in primer and looks good. (The pictures I posted of it in primer) everything was finished well imo. The next few times I come in the only thing that was done was working on the fuel filler lid and shaving the antenna hole. I stress to them that the car should have already been finished by now and I felt like it was just getting put on the back burner. They said it would only be a few weeks until completion. From that point forward things moved relatively quickly., but it was still longer than a few weeks. I went in to approve the color once they shot the engine bay before they shot the car. A few weeks later they call and tell me the car is in color they just have to do all the spare pieces so I go check it out. The car is painted and cleared but it hasn't been buffed yet and looked really rough. Before I even said Anything they reassured me it looked rough because it hasn't been cut or buffed. I said ok and left. I'm not a painter. The next time they called me telling me the car is finished and they needed final payment. I had already paid them 2 payments of $2k and was expecting a third and final payment of a maximum of $2k to equate to the $6k all in that we discussed. Bob doesn't call me, but Diane from the office and says that my remaining balance is $3500. I tell her that wasnt right and told her to have bob call me ASAP. Keep in mind I still hadn't seen the car. Bob calls me a few hours later and tells me that there was a lot of extra work in the engine bay they had to do to get it right since it messed up the first time(I'm now apparently responsible for your mess up and extra labor to fix it) he told me it was because of the body work I had done on ones wheel tub that caused the problem and that they had to remove it to make it right, yet the whole bay reacted and primer cracked in every spot. Like an eggshell cracked finish you see on some furniture. Then once I put that off as not my problem he told me that it was extra to paint the roof, but for some reason I was under the impression that painting a car included the roof. Still sight unseen I reluctantly agreed to pay him $3000 instead of the $2000 agreed upon. He delivered the car that evening to my house for an additional $75.00. The sun was doing down so I couldn't get a real close look of it in daylight. They packed up and left. I was stoked to have the car back since it had been 8 months yes 8 MONTHS since I gave it to them. Upon further inspection the doors both have major runs on the inside door jambs. None, I repeat none of the body looks like it was blocked or body worked at all. The panels are wavy like a factory Fbody, they're are several fisheye spots and debris in the clear. Buffing trails on most of the car especially the hood. Wet sanding sports that were not buffed at all. The engine bay has two identical scratches where the fenders were set on the car and not bolted on so the scratched it, the rear hatch has a chip, and worst of all the door dings that were in the rear quarter panel are still there. The overall quality looks like a $2000 paint job thrown together in a hole in the wall shop not even remotely close to a $7000 paint job. I'm not one to bash people or file lawsuits. I did bring it to his attention that I wasn't happy with the work, but was blown off and told to bring it back when I get the car done and they'll touch it up, but I honestly don't feel confident enough to take it back to them again. I didn't get any of the agreements we made in writing and that was my own mistake, I shouldn't have paid him until I felt it was done to my standards, especially for what I paid him for it, but that was my mistake also. The job will be cleaned up by a professional detailer once the car is finished and ill live with the flaws and drive it like its intended to be.

And that's my rant.

I don't feel as if I'm being too picky, a $7,000 paint job should be pretty ******* close to show quality straight as an arrow perfect. **** I paid $4500 for the car in 2008

Last edited by scj; 09-28-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:04 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bluestreak98
Looks awesome man.

I see you stood up the radiator. Will you be retaining a/c?
No AC sir. Firewall is smoothed also.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by scj
Sure thing.

And that's my rant.

I don't feel as if I'm being too picky, a $7,000 paint job should be pretty ******* close to show quality straight as an arrow perfect. **** I paid $4500 for the car in 2008
dang man I am sorry to hear that. I don't think you are being too picky either. I've experienced a car situation that didn't end the way that I hoped too and that feeling is just the worst.
Old 09-29-2015, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nothing worse than dropping a lot of coin and not being happy. If you used a credit card you may be able to dispute.

Great build though. Can't wait to see it all the way through
Old 09-30-2015, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If it was paid sight unseen, I'd assume a card was used. Even if it comes to nothing, I would chargeback those ******* so fast for a partial refund they'd get motion sickness.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:46 AM
scj
TECH Addict

Getting **** done.

Old 08-28-2016, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good. Car is coming along nicely

Quick Reply: SINISTER build (update 2/8/13)