What kind of insurance do you guys put on the cars you rarely drive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
I'm about to pay off the z06, and can't stand paying full premium on a car I rarely drive (about $130 a month). I called my insurance (USAA) and they let me put it in "storage mode", which is about $40 a month, but I'm not supposed to drive it, so it's kind of a pointless insurance . I want the car to be covered, but if its only driven once every 2-3 weeks, $130 a month just doesn't seem worth it. I'm just wondering if you guys use any other route for your cars you don't drive much, but to where they're still covered when you decide to take them out for a short trip.

Thanks for any help!
Do you have other classics, if so Hagerty is the only way to go, fantastic coverage very reasonable.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:11 PM

Default Insurance on ZO6 30th Anv ID

If you have other classics Hagerty will take new or newer special interest cars.
They are very reasonable, fantastic claims response, agreed value. I had a claim on a 72 GTO a 86 Jag and then hail damage on a 77 TA. I did not even get an increase in premium!

Can anyone help me ID my 30th Anv TA? Will the VIN ID the car? What do I look for?
Old 04-29-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by posz28
try mileameter.com
went there and got this

Milemeter has filed it's withdrawal plan with the Texas Department of Insurance and is no longer accepting new customers
Old 04-30-2012, 08:15 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by collectorjohn

Can anyone help me ID my 30th Anv TA? Will the VIN ID the car? What do I look for?
Little off topic, but not sure what you mean by ID it? You are not sure it's a 30th Anv Edition? Research what the RPO code is for 30th Anv TA Edition and then check the door sticker (contains list of RPO codes). For instance, the 30th Anv Camaro (1997) came with RPO code Z4C. I have heard it's the same code for the 1999 Anv Ed. TA, but have never confirmed.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Launching!

I'm about to pay off the z06, and can't stand paying full premium on a car I rarely drive (about $130 a month). I called my insurance (USAA) and they let me put it in "storage mode", which is about $40 a month, but I'm not supposed to drive it, so it's kind of a pointless insurance . I want the car to be covered, but if its only driven once every 2-3 weeks, $130 a month just doesn't seem worth it. I'm just wondering if you guys use any other route for your cars you don't drive much, but to where they're still covered when you decide to take them out for a short trip.

Thanks for any help!

These are probably the best 2 quotes in this thread:

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Just man up and pay it. If you try to get cute, you'll end up screwing yourself. Friend of mine had his car insured as "weekends only", with a mileage limit. He drove it to work one day and got in an accident. Even though it wasn't his fault, his insurance company dropped him. Not worth the hassle, IMO.

-Mike
If I have to pay it, I'll pay it. I don't short cut anything when it comes to keeping my assets protected. I just wasn't sure of there was a way to be protected with a different type of insurance. I'm not worried about vandalism or hail etc, bc it's parked in the garage.
I'm a firm believer that if you cant afford to maintain a car then you shouldnt have it. A few people have given some pretty good suggestions and I would recommend looking into them. My wife and I will be going through the same thing soon so I find this thread very useful.

Bottomline, either you pony up or find an alternate insurance to fit your situation, just dont cheap out on your Z06, too nice of a car
Old 04-30-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hiram007
These are probably the best 2 quotes in this thread:

I'm a firm believer that if you cant afford to maintain a car then you shouldnt have it. A few people have given some pretty good suggestions and I would recommend looking into them. My wife and I will be going through the same thing soon so I find this thread very useful.

Bottomline, either you pony up or find an alternate insurance to fit your situation, just dont cheap out on your Z06, too nice of a car
One of those quotes is mine.

And Im fully capable of maintaining the car/paying insurance on the car. This has nothing to do with being able to "afford it". But with paying $1300 a yr for a car that will only be driven once or twice a month for a small trip doesn't make sense.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Pointless if you want to drive it. I think thats what he meant. . . Everyone is quick to flame around here. . .
How much are you paying for your insurance on the TA?
Old 04-30-2012, 01:10 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

But with paying $1300 a yr for a car that will only be driven once or twice a month for a small trip doesn't make sense.
Investigate and get insurance quotes, and really think it through before buying car?

I was close to buying a 2012 Z06 last year. Had a sweet deal lined up through a friend. Within two minutes of that phone call, I called USAA to see what the insurance bill would be like.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TWS
Investigate and get insurance quotes, and really think it through before buying car?
Huh? Insurance cost would not decide if Im buying a car or not.

Again, the point of the thread was to check if there was a better route I could be taking.

As I've said, I'm more than capable of paying insurance on the car.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TWS

I was close to buying a 2012 Z06 last year. Had a sweet deal lined up through a friend. Within two minutes of that phone call, I called USAA to see what the insurance bill would be like.
Before I picked the z06 out, I did get rates. As mentioned, it takes 2 minutes.

I've had about 9-10 different cars financed with USAA, definately isn't my first transaction with them. By the way, their iPhone app is the ****!
Old 04-30-2012, 01:27 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Huh? Insurance cost would not decide if Im buying a car or not.
It's called a factor. It may not be the deciding factor, but it should be part of an organized and rational decision-making process. I was just advising that as one of the car-buying factors, I would find out how much a car is going to cost me to insure, think about how much or how little I would be driving it, and then apply that data to my decision-making criteria (before making the decision).

I fear I am talking to the wall here.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by TWS
It's called a factor. It may not be the deciding factor, but it should be part of an organized and rational decision-making process. I was just advising that as one of the car-buying factors, I would find out how much a car is going to cost me to insure, think about how much or how little I would be driving it, and then apply that data to my decision-making criteria (before making the decision).

I fear I am talking to the wall here.
You aren't understanding me. As mentioned, I got quotes on z06s prior to the purchase, including this exact z06. I feel as though your assuming I randomly bought a corvette without checking into insurance etc and that i cant afford the car. I owe $900 on a corvette that i bought 7 months ago, if I couldn't afford the insurance, do you really think I would be paying it off so quickly? I have no regret/buyers remorse in buying the car. As ive mentioned over and over again, I am fully capable of paying for the insurance. I was seeing if there was a different route I could be taking in which I would still be FULLY COVERED, I'm not shortcutting anything. If I wasn't capable of paying the insurance, I'd have no business owning 2 cars or even a z06 alone. If I can't find a better alternative, I'll keep paying my current rates and continue to enjoy life.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use Hagerty. They have been great every time I have had to deal with them agreed coverage is a good thing. $25k of coverage for $220 a year. Got the entire thing done in one afternoon.

Grundy also does the same type of stuff, and they will do agreed coverage on any vehicle, no matter what the age .. not sure on their pricing though.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Gipraw
I use Hagerty. They have been great every time I have had to deal with them agreed coverage is a good thing. $25k of coverage for $220 a year. Got the entire thing done in one afternoon.

Grundy also does the same type of stuff, and they will do agreed coverage on any vehicle, no matter what the age .. not sure on their pricing though.
Now that would be bad ***^^ my next free afternoon is thursday and I'm going to look into these alternatives. Saving ~$1k a yr would be
Nice. Hell, even saving $500 would be nice.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TWS
Suppose your garage catches on fire? Suppose homey breaks in and steals the car? You want to collect zero insurance dollars?
OK I'm a homeowner so I should know this but: IF it burns inside your garage or is damaged by a house fire then homeowner insurance covers?
Old 04-30-2012, 03:38 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vexzer
OK I'm a homeowner so I should know this but: IF it burns inside your garage or is damaged by a house fire then homeowner insurance covers?
Not an insurance expert, but probably varies with the fine print of your policy. Two points I would make though:
1. Insurance companies are loath to pay on something that they feel should be covered by a different type of policy (ie. automobile policy).
2. Most homeowner insurance will have a higher deductible (usually 1% or more) than car insurance - unless you carry crazy high deductibles on your car.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Try Grundy Patrick. I had an agree value policy on my last TA. I have no other classic cars insured with them. They agreed to inured the TA because they were out of production. They will insure special Intrested cars. I think it was like $120 a year for 9k agreed value. No mileage limitation. Only thing they told me was don't drive it to work everyday.

Last edited by OhOneWS6; 04-30-2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

I called hagerty, insuring at $30k is $1200 a yr.
Old 04-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Staging Lane

****. Not haggerty. Grundy is who I used.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my brother-in-law uses grundy on his "gone in 60 seconds" - gt500e eleanor clone. he had a claim with the car thru them and didnt have any problems at all getting the work covered and completed. it is a mileage per year cap, but honestly who the hell would dd an eleanor lol

Quick Reply: What kind of insurance do you guys put on the cars you rarely drive?