PTSD for DOD Civilians?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 03:27 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For Christ sakes give the guy a damn break. Atleast he doesnt seem to be trying to milk the VA for all its worth. I laugh when people from other branches think they are better cause last time i checked we all got paid on the 1st and the 15th.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS69TA
I work for a DOD Army Depot. Ever since my first deployment to Balad in '04 up-armoring FMTV's, I've had severe anxiety and depression, probably due to several near death experiences. I did a year in Iraq in '08 at Liberty working on MRAPs and saw some awful stuff. I did a year in Kuwait in '10 working on MRAPs as well. I've had a short fuse and panic attacks/REALLY bad depression a few times a year. I don't know who to go see to check me out and see if I do have this. I'm on Zoloft and Xanax to help mellow me out but it doesn't always work. What would you guys suggest? Thanks in advance.
http://www.dol.gov/compliance/laws/comp-feca.htm

http://www.dol.gov/owcp/dlhwc/whca.htm
Old 06-09-2012, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

holy ****, calm the **** down all you. no matter how bad you both think you had it theres probably someone who had it worse. and being part of a "i had it much worse than you" competition isnt really something you want to have go through the experience to be apart of is it? like i said b4 some people are different, yea he stayed in the camp the whole time and didnt see what was really going on but some people's minds are more fragile than others ( no offense OP, i mean it in a medical sense ). were all vets here and your going to sit here and crab and bitch about one civilian who thinks the stuff he saw shook him up? who the **** cares! whats it to you! just leave him the **** alone and have no input if your not going to answer his question. they were there to fix the trucks and a few other things yes, no they wernt out on patrol and the ones getting shot at, but they were still there and subject to a more hostile enviroment then shopping at walmart which is all the average american has to worry about. were supposed to be the veterans that ppl look up to and your acting like complete jackasses.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 99CamVanillaTop
For Christ sakes give the guy a damn break. Atleast he doesnt seem to be trying to milk the VA for all its worth. I laugh when people from other branches think they are better cause last time i checked we all got paid on the 1st and the 15th.
this. ******* coast guard even. i hear it all the time from the core they sit there and bitch about the navy and what we dont have to do. well im sorry, i didnt CHOOSE to become a marine, i knew what i wanted and i CHOSE it. so i dont bitch about what other forces get to do/dont have to do because i CHOSE it. choose your rate you choose your fate.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS69TA
I work for a DOD Army Depot. Ever since my first deployment to Balad in '04 up-armoring FMTV's, I've had severe anxiety and depression, probably due to several near death experiences. I did a year in Iraq in '08 at Liberty working on MRAPs and saw some awful stuff. I did a year in Kuwait in '10 working on MRAPs as well. I've had a short fuse and panic attacks/REALLY bad depression a few times a year. I don't know who to go see to check me out and see if I do have this. I'm on Zoloft and Xanax to help mellow me out but it doesn't always work. What would you guys suggest? Thanks in advance.
I spent 4 years on various bases in Iraq as a contractor and I'm currently in Kandahar. In all seriousness what near death experiences did you have and what awful stuff did you see?

I'm been in plenty of mortar attacks and never exactly felt in danger. I've worked on multiple trucks soldiers died in and they are always clean when they come in.

and are you saying the time in kuwait is contributing to the PTSD or just listing it?
Old 06-09-2012, 11:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by t_raven
I spent 4 years on various bases in Iraq as a contractor and I'm currently in Kandahar. In all seriousness what near death experiences did you have and what awful stuff did you see?

I'm been in plenty of mortar attacks and never exactly felt in danger. I've worked on multiple trucks soldiers died in and they are always clean when they come in.

and are you saying the time in kuwait is contributing to the PTSD or just listing it?
Mostly from '04 in Balad and '08 in Iraq. '04 I've had mortars and rockets hit as close as 20 yards, luckily on the other side of a T wall. Others were within 40-50 yards countless times, along with getting off a Blackhawk and having a mortar hit 5' from me that didn't go off. '08 we began rebuilding battle damaged mraps, some were caked with a mud/blood mix on the floors, bone fragments, etc. Most were fairly cleaned out before they were unloaded.

Kuwait wasn't bad except for every trip to work off base was a near death experience every day....they can't drive for ****. I don't know for sure if I have PTSD, I'm mildly bi-polar, not the up/down crashes....the usually down/bottom out type. Suicidal tendencies, lots of fun stuff.

I'm not trying to milk any $ out of anybody, I'm not a veteran so they don't give a rats *** about me where I work.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
Where is this original post? From nick. celis?
Old 06-09-2012, 11:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by redws618

He's feeling softer today, problably deleted it, lmao...
Old 06-09-2012, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

looks like he felt ashamed for being a douche to someone in need of help and deleted it.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jake_the_Snake
looks like he felt ashamed for being a douche to someone in need of help and deleted it.
Nahhhh, he should've left it.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Nahhhh, he should've left it.
and why is that?
Old 06-09-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Regular

Wow some of guys are jackasses. Just because you have seen more or others have had it worse doesnt mean a damn thing. People handle **** differently than others, some people can take ALOT more than others. I know people that have seen horrible horrible things, parents/family killed right infront of them, vets that have seen friends blown up and killed all around them. They can come home and tell me about it and volunteer to go right back, perfectly fine.

Then on the other hand i know people who have witnessed a horrible car accident, and been scarred for life. Just because you saw more **** and you are fine, doesnt mean everyone else is. The guy comes onto a public forum asking for help, and all you can do is talk **** about how big of a ***** he is? You're the ******* pussies, this is no competition. Leave this **** alone.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by who281
Wow some of guys are jackasses. Just because you have seen more or others have had it worse doesnt mean a damn thing. People handle **** differently than others, some people can take ALOT more than others. I know people that have seen horrible horrible things, parents/family killed right infront of them, vets that have seen friends blown up and killed all around them. They can come home and tell me about it and volunteer to go right back, perfectly fine.

Then on the other hand i know people who have witnessed a horrible car accident, and been scarred for life. Just because you saw more **** and you are fine, doesnt mean everyone else is. The guy comes onto a public forum asking for help, and all you can do is talk **** about how big of a ***** he is? You're the ******* pussies, this is no competition. Leave this **** alone.
To witness death in any fashion for most is a little different to process, a lot of emotions.
There is also survivors remorse that goes into play even when there is no death or dismemberment. There is a war in front of us everyday..... some just don't see it.

I hope you get to a better place with your feelings but only you can keep the positive in your mind and life.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:27 PM
On The Tree

Gentlemen This guy reaching out for help for a serious issue- If you don't believe his story or have something other then a positive statement for him... Keep it to your self. It doesn't matter if he was Military or Civilian, everyone reacts differently to situations they were not prepared for.

I Myself am an Army Veteran with more then one deployment under my belt. I have had several near death experiences and have rendered aid to several severly wounded solidiers while under fire. I'm a Silver Star and Purple Heart Recipient and have been diagnosed with PTSD. I can tell you PTSD is not something to be taken lightly.

I can completly understand this man feelings. I have been to both Camp Liberty and Balad amongst other FOB's in Iraq. After I returned I sought help with Civilian doctors that were recomended by Tri-care. I did go through a shrink as well and that did help a little as I could talk through some situations without judgement. As far as the Meds I did have to go back to the doc every fews weeks to have them changed or the doses adjusted. My only advice I can say to you is just keep going back to the Doctor and have them adjust or even change your meds to find a Balance for you. Also when describing how the meds make you feel or what they are lacking, be as thurough as possible. That is what I and many others had to do, as everyone responses to meds differently. Keep seeking help and best of luck to ya man.