So... what ever happened with the front plate law?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my neighbor is a police officer (not saying the town), and he said he was told to not stop people for it for the time being. but he said that the interpretation of this law mixup is going to vary from town to town.

in contradiction to the above posted caselaw, he also stated that there was a particular piece of caselaw that they are instructed to go by, which was about someone that had their plate in the front window and got stopped and then got caught with a bunch of drugs. the suspect sued, saying he shouldn't have been stopped, and he lost the case, with the court saying that the plate must be in the absolute front most part of the car. http://www.statesman.com/news/texas-...st-918800.html

that also contradicts what the DPS webpage itself says: mounting location and method is undefined. http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/misc/faq/viFAQ.htm

the most confusing part of all this, is that the LAW has NOT been removed... only the definition of the fine. so how do you cite someone for a crime that has no defined punishment?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:14 AM
TECH Regular

Play it safe and just put the thing on. All it does is give the police a reason to stop you and find other potential problems. Now the OP is going to have to take time to take a picture go to court and then maybe not get it dismissed. Doesn't seem to be worth the hassle to me. With this being such a "gray" interpretation right now, more than likely the officer that stops you is looking for something.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
the suspect sued, saying he shouldn't have been stopped, and he lost the case, with the court saying that the plate must be in the absolute front most part of the car. http://www.statesman.com/news/texas-...st-918800.html

the most confusing part of all this, is that the LAW has NOT been removed... only the definition of the fine. so how do you cite someone for a crime that has no defined punishment?
"'Front' means the foremost part or beginning of a vehicle, not in the front half, or in the front portion."

So does that make those Evo plate holders that are offset on the side illegal since that is not the foremost part of the vehicle?
Or even Corvette owners who's plate holder is recessed into the bumper, that is not the foremost possible part of the vehicle.

Originally Posted by S1LV3R
With this being such a "gray" interpretation right now, more than likely the officer that stops you is looking for something.
This is the thing that irks me, 'safety' laws created solely for revenue generation and/or giving police the authority to pull you over and search/cite almost anyone at their discretion.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default To sharp of a turn boy

You guys do realize that if an Officer of the law wants to pull you over, they can make up anything they want to mess with you. For example, a couple of years ago my brother was pulled over in Tomball because he made a “to sharp of a turn” and when I was stationed in Del Rio the state troopers would try to push you to go faster and get you to speed. If you didn’t speed up, they would pull you over and say you were speeding.

So please don’t think if you have your front plate on they will not mess with you. Now, if you are running drugs or some other illegal activity, I would suggest putting your plate back on to help you on the odds.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ride a Motorcycle.....Problem Solved
Old 06-20-2012, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

I remember getting a front plate ticket in Irving. They wouldnt dismiss it even with picture of it fixed. Said the law is the law and you broke it.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

I got pulled over last friday by an unmarked trooper in a maroonish crown vic on 290 just past huffmeister. He let me off with a warning, if any thing, it was just a stop to make contact and to see if you were up to no good. He really didn't seem to give a **** about the plate.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Camaro Junky
You guys do realize that if an Officer of the law wants to pull you over, they can make up anything they want to mess with you. For example, a couple of years ago my brother was pulled over in Tomball because he made a “to sharp of a turn” and when I was stationed in Del Rio the state troopers would try to push you to go faster and get you to speed. If you didn’t speed up, they would pull you over and say you were speeding.

So please don’t think if you have your front plate on they will not mess with you. Now, if you are running drugs or some other illegal activity, I would suggest putting your plate back on to help you on the odds.
Nobody said if you had your front plate that police wouldn't mess with you. If they want to pull you over they'll find a reason or make one up. No need to give them an "easy" way.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:39 PM
TECH Veteran

I haven't ever stopped anyone for no front plate, because I usually don't run one on my cars. On the truck, it doesn't matter to be because it's nothing special. I don't have one on my new '13 Mustang GT, it kills the look of the car. None of my F-bodies ever had front plates. Usually if you do get stopped, the officer is looking for more than just a no front LP violation, he's fishing for something bigger.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:19 PM
12 Second Club

There actually is a fine still defined. It's a catch-all that they put in.

The new bill reads: Sec. 502.471 [502.401]. GENERAL PENALTY. (a) A person commits an offense if the person violates a provision of this chapter and no other penalty is prescribed for the violation.
(b) This section does not apply to a violation of Section 502.003, 502.042, 502.197, or 502.431 [502.282].
(c) Unless otherwise specified, an [An] offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.

They just moved the section to a different section. And since the section we are talking about is 504.943 this means these penalties may still be assessed for the violation and doesn't change a thing.

It can still be argued, and fought. Most won't know this is here so up to you whether to fight or not.

Last edited by RocitSS; 06-20-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:24 PM
Teching In

Same **** up here in NYS with front plate law. Go to Jegs, they have a flip up plate mount that is for Stangs but works fine for our cars. It mounts underneath the car, takes about 10 minutes to install, flip the plate up when your driving and flip it back down underneath the car when you dont want to look at it. Totally worth the $50, peace of mind.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
This
Old 06-21-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by darps
Same **** up here in NYS with front plate law. Go to Jegs, they have a flip up plate mount that is for Stangs but works fine for our cars. It mounts underneath the car, takes about 10 minutes to install, flip the plate up when your driving and flip it back down underneath the car when you dont want to look at it. Totally worth the $50, peace of mind.
Or add $100 bucks for an electric one.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ravenous T\A
like this? ff to almost 3 mins.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13407330461251

here's why...

Last edited by sergo; 06-26-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sergo
Dont ride with squids or packs of squids, wear ur gear always, have correct mounted plates, rearview mirrors, turn signals, an actual Motocycle License, Insurance, and dont be a squid yourself.....Problem solved
Old 06-26-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Junkie

it is still in effect