New timing chain has as much free play as one with 300K?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New timing chain has as much free play as one with 300K?

Guys can somebody be of some help. One of my work-mates is putting a fresh timing set on a Silverado 5.3, 2000, that has over 300K on it. He just got a new set from NAPA and slid it on. But it's just as loose or looser than the original one. The only difference I see is that the cam gear has the bump for the newer front cover cam sensor engines but as far as I know that shouldn't matter. Do these engines just run more slack than the old school V-engines like SBC, SBF, Mopar, etc? Sorry no pics. It just has a bit of wiggle on the slack side that we had hoped to at least reduce. The engine came it for an oil pan and and pump issue and we talked him into a chain as preventative maintenence on the rig because of mileage and current access. I do engine work but haven't had to do much to these chains, just cams, Head gaskets, and such.

Vernon
Old 08-07-2012, 01:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The gears do wear down over time. New gears will probably tighten it right up.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:50 PM
TECH Regular

That's just it, the new timing set has just as much slack as the old one. Is that normal? Is what I'm asking.

Vernon
Old 08-07-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

These chains don't stretch. It's not like the old school stuff. With 300k it's a good idea to swap it just cause of metal fatigue. They all have slack.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks Pwebbz28, you are correct that the stockers come with slack. We ended up talking with the Cloyes Rep, they make NAPA's timing components, and he said these chains have approximately 3/8" slack to accomidate the expansion of the aluminum blocks. He said the only way to get one tighter would be with some of the performance sets that are made a little tighter. So that's the follow up for the guy who searches for this some day.

Vernon