Gen 5 Small Block LT1... The Lt1 is back?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:07 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"It cant be tuned"

....havnt we heard this before on other GM engines?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:10 AM
TECH Resident

GM is probably planning on selling aftermarket tunes/tuning service..Would not surprise me to see them partner with a 3rd party or go it alone..
Old 10-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
GM is probably planning on selling aftermarket tunes/tuning service..Would not surprise me to see them partner with a 3rd party or go it alone..
This guy is going places. Very bright individual indeed.

Bigg Gunz
Old 10-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
Spraying this engine wouldn't be ideal.

More precise fuel timing with direct injection makes tuning more precise and more difficult, higher risk. The physics of it is extremely complicated as it's difficult to model and predict when the combustion due to compression will occur. So right now, it's only feasible in a very narrow operating range.

The optimization is difficult and dangerous with direct injection, (YOUR SATETY MATTERS).
GM knows what it is doing.

Another very very big event will come forward to satisfy majority of consumers.

Bigg Gunz
Not doubting you on the complexity of cracking the tune, but I don't think tuning DI in and of itself is all that dangerous. The turbo ecotech is DI, and they have been selling bigger turbos for that engine for years. They said the GT-R would never be cracked, either...

If I were GM, I'd look into a system that depressurized the fuel system once the engine shut off, that's where mechanics have been getting hurt. Like maybe having the injectors depressurize the system whenever the engine was shut down, or maybe even a manual valve of some type that has to be closed to build pressure.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 54inches
They should have called it the MF1.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stonebreaker
Not doubting you on the complexity of cracking the tune, but I don't think tuning DI in and of itself is all that dangerous. The turbo ecotech is DI, and they have been selling bigger turbos for that engine for years. They said the GT-R would never be cracked, either...

If I were GM, I'd look into a system that depressurized the fuel system once the engine shut off, that's where mechanics have been getting hurt. Like maybe having the injectors depressurize the system whenever the engine was shut down, or maybe even a manual valve of some type that has to be closed to build pressure.
Bleed back valve to the return line?

Originally Posted by hiram007
At least 2 of us thought it was funny!
Old 10-26-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bigg_Gunz
This guy is going places. Very bright individual indeed.

Bigg Gunz

ok Bigg Gunz I smell what ur steppin in, you are letting the cat out of the bag now!!!

GM wants a piece of the aftermarket, and have gone to great lengths to ensure that they do get it, am I wrong?

P.S. fellas the original LT1 is a fantastic piece of engineering, even though the OPTI-NO-SPARK was it's weakness. dump that crap, then rock on!!
Old 10-27-2012, 11:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 54inches
Bleed back valve to the return line?

At least 2 of us thought it was funny!
Yeah it was pretty funny, caught me off guard cause I was zooming through the responses. Either way, ppl need to move on and stop worrying about what the rpo code for the motor is.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Give it a few years and we will be tuning the **** out of these just like every other LS,LT, TPI platform for the last 26 years gm has has had a pcm controlling.

It's only uncrackable for a while once we get the first ones home in the driveway and crack these bitch's open we'll find a way to cam it tune it and put FI on it. Just a matter of time I've heard untuneable from gm every time something new comes out. In 96 OBD2 was supposed to be the death of tuning and performance and it was at first but once we cracked em we found a wealth of tuning and diagnostics that made working on them and hot rodding them 10 times easier than the previous chipped systems.
Old 10-30-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stonebreaker

I'm not disagreeing with you, but any good mechanic should know to depressurize the fuel system before messing with it. Not only depressurize it, but depressurize it correctly and ensure that there's no pressure in the system. I've worked on an LSJ cobalt having never worked on a DI engine before, and had no close calls, no accidents, or anything of the such regarding the fuel system.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a quick crash course for you Direct Injection future guys.
Its so easy a caveman can do it
Old 10-30-2012, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

would rock the **** out of a stock lt1.

Quick Reply: Gen 5 Small Block LT1... The Lt1 is back?